Forum
Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? (/thread-4065.html)

Pages: 1 2

Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - gkusiak - 11th Dec, 2019 02:56 AM

I've got a nice 52" (maybe 50"...it's big and heavy) Panasonic plasma display that now is connected to a kick-butt media streaming solution in xbian, I'd like to watch my Netflix shows on in as high quality as I can manage.

kodi 18 supports WideVine DRM....so how do people have netflix on their kodi/xbian?

https://github.com/truedread/netflix-1080p suggests it's a chrome/chromium thing (might I suggest brave as the browser? that would be wicked convenient)

and I guess this is the big poppa: https://github.com/CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix/

so, to the best of my knowledge and understanding, for 1080 netflix on xbian, I'd have to install the above plugins and make them work together?

or do you recommend I install Netflixbmc like this:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-netflix-in-kodi-on-ubuntu-and-debian

help from those of you who have been doing this and/or writing code for a while would be most useful. Thank you in advance!

RE: Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - Exnor - 11th Dec, 2019 05:23 AM

(11th Dec, 2019 02:56 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  I've got a nice 52" (maybe 50"...it's big and heavy) Panasonic plasma display that now is connected to a kick-butt media streaming solution in xbian, I'd like to watch my Netflix shows on in as high quality as I can manage.

kodi 18 supports WideVine DRM....so how do people have netflix on their kodi/xbian?

https://github.com/truedread/netflix-1080p suggests it's a chrome/chromium thing (might I suggest brave as the browser? that would be wicked convenient)

and I guess this is the big poppa: https://github.com/CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix/

so, to the best of my knowledge and understanding, for 1080 netflix on xbian, I'd have to install the above plugins and make them work together?

or do you recommend I install Netflixbmc like this:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-netflix-in-kodi-on-ubuntu-and-debian

help from those of you who have been doing this and/or writing code for a while would be most useful. Thank you in advance!

Plasma display/screens are still being manufactured? I thought it was a discontinued tech...

Good question btw... I've searched for a way to use Netflix using a Pi3 (with Kodi) and i can only find shaddy addons that i will not risk to use or x86 based options.

Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - gkusiak - 11th Dec, 2019 05:29 AM

The Plasma display was part of an inheritance from my Grandfather’s estate. The picture is very good.

I have no problem paying for content, which is why I’m a Netflix subscriber, but their reluctance to support methods of viewing their content leaves something to be desired. I suppose a workaround would be to cast from my phone to xbian, but that seems....inelegant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - Exnor - 12th Dec, 2019 01:42 AM

(11th Dec, 2019 05:29 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  The Plasma display was part of an inheritance from my Grandfather’s estate. The picture is very good.

I have no problem paying for content, which is why I’m a Netflix subscriber, but their reluctance to support methods of viewing their content leaves something to be desired. I suppose a workaround would be to cast from my phone to xbian, but that seems....inelegant.

Using 2 machines to be able to stream a paid service is a no for me... the reason i love Xbian is that it allows to do everything (minus Netflix and Amazon Prime as far i am aware) with one machine. (plus streaming from phone/tablet would deplete the battery of the device too).

Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - gkusiak - 12th Dec, 2019 02:56 AM

I’m of the same opinion on 2 machines - but since my rarely-used bluray player has the Netflix app integrated, I may have to fire that up again/more frequently unless an xbian solution presents itself, as makes sense and is preferable. Devs- help? Or can you tell us why this is an issue? Or that it’s on the kodi 19 roadmap?

RE: Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - Nachteule - 13th Dec, 2019 04:23 AM

Just tested Netflix again on my Pi4 devel system, IT WORKS great at the moment Big Grin

What you have to do (in very short words) is:

1) You need InputStream Helper Addon:
This will manage the Wivedine stuff automatically (please note: you need at least 2GB of free disk space!)
2) Enable InputStream Adaptive Addon and set max resolution to 1080p (I have min bandwidth set to 4000000, no idea if this is still required)
3) Install this repository from ZIP file and then Netflix addon from this repository
4) Start Netflix Addon, enter your credentials and be happy Big Grin

Tested with The Irishman in 1080p today, stream is flawlessly played with about 50% CPU load

RE: Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - Exnor - 13th Dec, 2019 06:12 AM

(13th Dec, 2019 04:23 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Just tested Netflix again on my Pi4 devel system, IT WORKS great at the moment Big Grin

What you have to do (in very short words) is:

1) You need InputStream Helper Addon:
This will manage the Wivedine stuff automatically (please note: you need at least 2GB of free disk space!)
2) Enable InputStream Adaptive Addon and set max resolution to 1080p (I have min bandwidth set to 4000000, no idea if this is still required)
3) Install this repository from ZIP file and then Netflix addon from this repository
4) Start Netflix Addon, enter your credentials and be happy Big Grin

Tested with The Irishman in 1080p today, stream is flawlessly played with about 50% CPU load

Thanks for the info. Smile

Will this work on a Pi3B+ ? And is the add-on trustworthy?

On the bandwidth, is that in bits? If so i think is the minimum required for SD streaming with Netflix (4Mbits/s).

RE: Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - Nachteule - 13th Dec, 2019 07:04 AM

(13th Dec, 2019 06:12 AM)Exnor Wrote:  Thanks for the info. Smile

Will this work on a Pi3B+ ?

Of course, it does. But CPU has too less power for 1080p!

Quote:And is the add-on trustworthy?

How the hell should I know? And, that's a pointless question. This addon is completely open source, so everybody can look into to see what it does

Quote:On the bandwidth, is that in bits? If so i think is the minimum required for SD streaming with Netflix (4Mbits/s).

It is in Bit/s. I installed that Netflix stuff about 3 years ago, so I can't remenber why I did this

Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - gkusiak - 15th Dec, 2019 04:09 AM

Yes, many many thanks for this! Guess how I’m going to be spending my rainy Saturday afternoon?

RE: Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - gkusiak - 15th Dec, 2019 06:44 AM

One of my Add-ons already had the InputStream Helper installed as a dependency. Just configure as indicated.

I'm stuck at adding the zip of the repo...
EDIT: AHA! Found the full path under OSMC here: https://github.com/CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix/wiki/How-install-the-addon

UPDATE 2: be sure, if you're having difficulties, to play with the settings of the Netflix plugin:
somehow I managed to discover that under playback, by setting max resolution in the app, it was choosing a lower-quality/resolution stream, causing on-screen artifacts. (I'm also going to go into xbian/system settings to flip it to 4k or max.)

RE: Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - Nachteule - 15th Dec, 2019 09:30 PM

(15th Dec, 2019 06:44 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  One of my Add-ons already had the InputStream Helper installed as a dependency. Just configure as indicated.

Whats the problem. That isn't complicated Huh

RE: Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - punheer - 16th Dec, 2019 10:14 PM

(15th Dec, 2019 06:44 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  One of my Add-ons already had the InputStream Helper installed as a dependency. Just configure as indicated.

EDIT: AHA! Found the full path under OSMC here: https://github.com/CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix/wiki/How-install-the-addon

Thanks for the information. I followed this!

RE: Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - Nachteule - 16th Dec, 2019 10:22 PM

Hmmm, was thinking that the link I posted with displayed README.md was enough for picking the download link from there Tongue

Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - gkusiak - 16th Dec, 2019 11:06 PM

You know how when you’re looking for something specific, knowing where you should find it, sometimes it’s so plainly there that you overlook it? Yeah, that’s me. All the time.
But it works in reverse too: I often find things I don’t know I need when I’m not looking, and then can’t imagine how I made do without and before they came into my life. Like xbian.

Best way to have a Netflix subscription on xbian/kodi? - gkusiak - 8th Mar, 2020 07:56 AM

Hope this helps:
For anyone who has upgraded CastagnaIT’s Netflix addon to v1.0.0 from v0.16.4 and is experiencing videos stuttering/lagging audio, re-installing WideVine in the InputStream Adaptive addon seems to remedy things, or has on my system.

I have a question for @Nachteule, if he’ll be so kind: in Settings/xbian/System there are over clicking options that can be set to Custom - shouldnt they be set to Core 1500 etc for those of us running on a RasPi 4 with 4GB of RAM?

What about advancedsettings.xml from config?