Forum
current kodi and ipv6 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: current kodi and ipv6 (/thread-4076.html)

current kodi and ipv6 - gkusiak - 19th Mar, 2020 12:33 AM

I'm considering migrating my network to IPv6 - I can get a native connection from my ISP.
how well does kodi work under that condition? Most of my viewing is Netflix and IPTV, and I'd hate for either to be negatively impacted. can anyone comment/offer advice?

thanks in advance

RE: current kodi and ipv6 - Nachteule - 27th Mar, 2020 11:32 PM

Sorry, I have little experience with IPV6 only because I still have native IPV4 only with IPV6 tunnel

RE: current kodi and ipv6 - gkusiak - 31st Mar, 2020 12:44 PM

well, I migrated (actually, it's more dual stack than full IPv6) and my network has stabilized - ping has dropped and steadied out, jitter is acceptably low, but the best part is I get at least the full speeds that I pay for from my ISP.
xbian/kodi working as well as it ever has, but the few buffering incidents now pass by in what seems like a hiccup of an instant rather than a pause to consider.
#ThisIsTheWay

RE: current kodi and ipv6 - Exnor - 5th Apr, 2020 09:34 AM

(31st Mar, 2020 12:44 PM)gkusiak Wrote:  well, I migrated (actually, it's more dual stack than full IPv6) and my network has stabilized - ping has dropped and steadied out, jitter is acceptably low, but the best part is I get at least the full speeds that I pay for from my ISP.
xbian/kodi working as well as it ever has, but the few buffering incidents now pass by in what seems like a hiccup of an instant rather than a pause to consider.
#ThisIsTheWay

Just out of curiosity, why was using IPv4 on your LAN limiting your bandwidth when connecting to the Internet (bandwidth your ISP provides)?

current kodi and ipv6 - gkusiak - 5th Apr, 2020 11:54 AM

It may not have been IPv4 vs IPv6: I raised it with someone I know who used to work for my ISP and their story was that the company uses a Quality of Service scheme they came up with in their early days to lower the stress on their servers and connection that they haven’t scaled/adjusted as they grew, but use a different one entirely today on their newer v6 equipment. I do note in general lately that when I’m on my desktop and surfing and find a site that seems to be loading faster then look to see v4/v6, almost always it’s a v6 IP addy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: current kodi and ipv6 - Exnor - 6th Apr, 2020 01:30 AM

(5th Apr, 2020 11:54 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  It may not have been IPv4 vs IPv6: I raised it with someone I know who used to work for my ISP and their story was that the company uses a Quality of Service scheme they came up with in their early days to lower the stress on their servers and connection that they haven’t scaled/adjusted as they grew, but use a different one entirely today on their newer v6 equipment. I do note in general lately that when I’m on my desktop and surfing and find a site that seems to be loading faster then look to see v4/v6, almost always it’s a v6 IP addy.

So your ISP is throttling down their clients bandwidth.... :/

current kodi and ipv6 - gkusiak - 12th Apr, 2020 11:01 PM

Probably because they have to, yes, but not significantly. 10% or less is a generally acceptable amount for most reasonable people I think...especially if that 10% translates to a stable price for a necessary service.