Forum
Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? (/thread-4099.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - cmayo - 13th Sep, 2020 05:16 AM

The official XBian "Getting Started" suggests that I just need to create an SD card with the Xbian Installer then boot the Pi with the new SD card, where I should find an easy XBian setup wizard. Instead, I found another installer (maybe that's the setup wizard?) which consistently seems to terminate early with an "OS(es) Installed with errors. See debug log for details" blurb. I've been unable to find a debug log on the SD card, so I'm kinda stumped.

Any ideas? I'm trying to get the "XBian by PINN 3.3.4.2 rpi3" image to install on a Raspberry Pi 3B.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 13th Sep, 2020 07:42 PM

Excuse me, but you are talking crazy HuhHuhHuh
Download the installer, run it, select the hardware and the image you want to burn and then burn it to the sd-card. what's the problem?

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - cmayo - 14th Sep, 2020 09:07 AM

(13th Sep, 2020 07:42 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  Excuse me, but you are talking crazy HuhHuhHuh
Download the installer, run it, select the hardware and the image you want to burn and then burn it to the sd-card. what's the problem?

And that's pretty much what the "Getting Started" said, but that's not how it went. Once I downloaded the Windows installer from xbian.org/getxbian, burned the SD and booted the Pi, I wasn't looking an Xbian setup wizard but a Noobs installer where, apparently, I had to install Xbian (which I thought I'd already done on the Windows machine). I wasn't connecting the Pi to the internet at that point (and didn't know the installer needed it), so Noobs was immediately bailing with the mysterious "Done with errors" blurb.

From other distributions (OSMC, LibreELEC, OpenELEC, etc.), I expected that all I needed to do was burn an Xbian image onto an SD and I'd be good to go. The Xbian install was just a bit more convoluted than I expected, but maybe your installation went differently. No big deal, I eventually did get Xbian installed and running.

And I did find the debug log in /var/log, where I should have looked in the first place.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 14th Sep, 2020 06:50 PM

And it's the same here. you just have to choose the right image. and if you choose PINN (PINN is an extended NOOBS), the behaviour is the same as described

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - thoalex - 14th Apr, 2021 11:54 AM

Quote:No big deal, I eventually did get Xbian installed and running.

Actually it is kind of a big deal. You came here looking for help and didn't really get it.

And guess what? I have the exact same problem. My guess is that there is something wrong with the site at the moment. But honestly if the reactions are going to be like this in the support forums I may just wait for LibreELEC to get their distro working.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - cmayo - 15th Apr, 2021 01:04 AM

(14th Apr, 2021 11:54 AM)thoalex Wrote:  
Quote:No big deal, I eventually did get Xbian installed and running.

Actually it is kind of a big deal. You came here looking for help and didn't really get it.

And guess what? I have the exact same problem. My guess is that there is something wrong with the site at the moment. But honestly if the reactions are going to be like this in the support forums I may just wait for LibreELEC to get their distro working.

I haven't had great luck with community support for any Kodi distribution, Kodi, OSMC, OpenElec, LibreElec, and Xbian included. There just seems to be an arrogant, "you're dumb for saying/wanting that" attitude across the board. When I hit a tough Kodi problem I'll sometimes post a question to the appropriate board, then get busy debugging for myself. Sometimes I get lucky and receive a helpful response though obviously, not this time.

Not saying I know enough to be very helpful, but what problem are you having? My issue was that I expected the image installed during the "Getting Started" process to be a bootable instance of Xbian, but it turned out to be an RPi Noobs installer that needed internet access that I hadn't provided.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 16th Apr, 2021 03:39 AM

I'm not sure if it's correct or not, but this has been working for >1yr for me:

I just DL the latest RasPi4 .gz from sourceforge and have etcher flash it to my SD card. I do that on my desktop *buntu machine - it unpacks the zip, flashes the card.
Install the SD in the Pi, power it up..good to go - etcher can apparently flash from an URL now too, which is a little cool

there's rufus (for windows if that's your OS) to flash the image to SD...can't remember if you have to unzip it first...

my Pi is hardwired to my network - GigE works much better than wireless...
v19's stability has increased dramatically - it used to crash on me a couple of times per evening. now if it crashes once, it's a surprise and opportunity to visit the bathroom and/or refresh my mug of tea

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - cmayo - 16th Apr, 2021 05:00 AM

(16th Apr, 2021 03:39 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  I'm not sure if it's correct or not, but this has been working for >1yr for me:

I just DL the latest RasPi4 .gz from sourceforge and have etcher flash it to my SD card. I do that on my desktop *buntu machine - it unpacks the zip, flashes the card.
Install the SD in the Pi, power it up..good to go - etcher can apparently flash from an URL now too, which is a little cool

there's rufus (for windows if that's your OS) to flash the image to SD...can't remember if you have to unzip it first...

my Pi is hardwired to my network - GigE works much better than wireless...
v19's stability has increased dramatically - it used to crash on me a couple of times per evening. now if it crashes once, it's a surprise and opportunity to visit the bathroom and/or refresh my mug of tea

Although I didn't stay with XBian after getting it running last year, I spent a big part of yesterday trying to get back up to speed on the install so I might be able to help thoalex, and had zero luck. The Sourceforge XBian_Latest_rpi4.img.gz file is corrupt and won't gunzip (unexpected end of file, multiple tries on multiple downloads on multiple computers/platforms on multiple networks). I couldn't get the PINN installer to write to an SD card ("An error occurred when attempting to write data to handle. Error 32: The device is not ready."). Finally gunzipped the PINN installer archive and wrote the image file to the same SD with Win32 Disk Imager but once I got the Pi booted with PINN, I couldn't get it to reliably connect to my network (via WiFi or wired to my router) so I was ultimately unable to install XBian even using PINN. (And Rufus WILL install a gzipped IMG file without decompressing first)

Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 16th Apr, 2021 09:28 AM

I’ve never tried the PINN versions. I’ve a Pi4 -don’t even know if there’s a PINN for the pi4... UPDATE - there are 2 versions actually.
(poking around on SourceForge downloads, it seems the Pi4 is the predominant platform at +/- 5:1 over earlier versions, and mainstream xbian is ~7:1 over the PINN versions for Pi4)

You’ve raised an interesting point about a corrupt DL- I’d love to have an md5 hash to compare my DL to when I have to reflash. (Truthfully I’ve only had to do it 3x maybe because of operator error) xbian has been wonderfully smooth and reliable - and current. Full credit and kudos to the dev(s) for helping me weather Covid lockdown!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[b]

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - HiroariTillWhen - 30th Apr, 2021 04:41 PM

Yeah, there seems to be issues with the site, I've downloaded from SourceForge now and it seems to work so far. I'm glad you guys were discussing this here, because otherwise, I'd still be stuck and would have been overdue for my report on this citizenship of Greece program I have to do for my "real life" job...

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 3rd May, 2021 08:48 AM

Something just went sideways on me - the add-ons updated Version Check, and my Seren stopped working.
then when I went to do an xbian update check, that gave me error messages at install "unable to remove" a bunch of packages/stuff.
The reboot that it says was required gets me to the blue diamond kodi logo screnn, then all i get is a flashing cursor on a blank background with no prompt.
Borked on a Sunday evening...

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 4th May, 2021 05:21 AM

(3rd May, 2021 08:48 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  Something just went sideways on me - the add-ons updated Version Check, and my Seren stopped working.
then when I went to do an xbian update check, that gave me error messages at install "unable to remove" a bunch of packages/stuff.
The reboot that it says was required gets me to the blue diamond kodi logo screnn, then all i get is a flashing cursor on a blank background with no prompt.

Sounds to me like a broken file system or the sd-card it damaged

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 10th May, 2021 04:13 AM

(4th May, 2021 05:21 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
(3rd May, 2021 08:48 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  Something just went sideways on me - the add-ons updated Version Check, and my Seren stopped working.

Sounds to me like a broken file system or the sd-card it damaged

will RasPi 4 xbian boot from USB? how do I make that happen?

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 10th May, 2021 07:40 AM

(10th May, 2021 04:13 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  will RasPi 4 xbian boot from USB? how do I make that happen?

In the meantime, this works great. I have the following configuration here:

1) boot from sd-card (if available)
2) boot from USB disk (if available)
3) boot from network (PXE boot)

Works fine, rpi-eeprom package is your friend Smile

Terminal

root@kmxbilr2 ~ # apt-cache policy rpi-eeprom
rpi-eeprom:
Installiert: (keine)
Installationskandidat: 12.1-1
Versionstabelle:
12.1-1 500
500 http://kmcubie devel/main armhf Packages
7.9-1 500
500 http://kmcubie stable/main armhf Packages
root@kmxbilr2 ~ #

Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 10th May, 2021 10:12 AM

That’s…above and beyond. I hadn’t even considered a network boot! Didn’t think it was possible…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk