Forum
Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? (/thread-4099.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - syaochan - 29th Dec, 2021 11:00 PM

I tried to add uas in /etc/modules and then in cmdline.txt with load-modules=uas, but cannot get it to load at boot, but this seems a minor issue at the moment.
The main problem is that the first boot from USB (manually loading uas and mounting rootfs) is ok, after that it does not boot anymore, not even in recovery console. All I get is a blinking cursor at top left of the screen, no prompt, I can type anything I want but nothing happens.
This happens both flashing the USB disk using xbian copy tool from a working copy of xbian on SD card, or flashing directly the image to USB disk.
I tried to add debug option to cmdline.txt, but nothing change. Not even rescue_early helps.

Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 30th Dec, 2021 02:11 AM

At some point in the next 12-24h, you should be able to update and have the issue be mooted.

EDIT- updating now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 30th Dec, 2021 03:24 AM

@syaochan

you have made 2 mistakes:

1) after you added uas to /etc/cmdline.txt, you should have rebuilt the initramfs with sudo xbian-update-initramfs to include the module
2) the initramfs is only used when the system thinks it is really needed, but in your case the system doesn't know that. so you have to force the use of the initramfs, as i told you here before. So now you don't have a rescue console either

To use the initramfs again, you have to remove the comment sign at the line initramfs initramfs.gz followkernel in /boot/config.txt, so that it will be used at the next boot again

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - syaochan - 30th Dec, 2021 04:04 AM

Many thanks for the detailed explanation, finally I managed to have boot it directly from USB

Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 30th Dec, 2021 04:12 AM

Ok, updated. But something is wrong:

Xbian boots to the kodi screen, then I get the xbian “loading…” progress bar below that logo, and it doesn’t progress.
It fails to xbian login: after a moment or two.

I've tried twice to update, but that happens when selecting this kernel
Further, by remaining on the previous kernel, I can't get my addon to install - it won't find the dependencies for some reason.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 1st Jan, 2022 03:05 AM

(30th Dec, 2021 04:12 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  Ok, updated. But something is wrong:

Xbian boots to the kodi screen, then I get the xbian “loading…” progress bar below that logo, and it doesn’t progress.
It fails to xbian login: after a moment or two.

I've tried twice to update, but that happens when selecting this kernel
Further, by remaining on the previous kernel, I can't get my addon to install - it won't find the dependencies for some reason.

I have installed the kernel several times and had no problems with it. And Kodi addons have nothing to do with the kernel.

There must be something strange going on with your system

Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 1st Jan, 2022 03:26 AM

I had to clear a folder off to get addon dependencies to become available. I haven’t tried upgrading the kernel yet.

I used the installer script this latest time, but for some reason, it’s not installing k5.10.88. I’m still at 5.10.82+

UPDATE - I had to flash the current rpi4 version to both the SD card as well as the USB for things to boot/install correctly...but now it seems smoother than it ever has been before.
The Xbian Installer makes the process of DLing SO MUCH easier/faster - is it an FTP from a non-sourceforge server?

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 18th Jan, 2022 08:29 AM

Updating to k5.10.90+ broke things, meaning it won't boot from USB anymore.
Do I have to jump through those hoops from a page ago every time? Or is this indicative of a hardware issue?

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 19th Jan, 2022 12:10 AM

I can't say that.
In any case, nothing has been changed in the kernel config for 21 days and it is therefore still identical to the one from 5.10.88.

I just checked to be sure, and my Pi4 still boots directly from USB. Of course, it did that before because I don't have a USB3 disk attached to it.

Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 19th Jan, 2022 11:58 AM

The format (protocol, I guess) of the USB device (2 vs 3) makes a difference?

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 20th Jan, 2022 12:42 AM

(19th Jan, 2022 11:58 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  The format (protocol, I guess) of the USB device (2 vs 3) makes a difference?

Indeed, that's how it is. That's why the required module for usb3 was compiled directly into the kernel 3 weeks ago.

Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 21st Jan, 2022 08:54 AM

I was using a usb3 flash drive.
Does the installer not format it prior to a flash of xbian?

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 21st Jan, 2022 09:07 AM

(21st Jan, 2022 08:54 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  I was using a usb3 flash drive.
Does the installer not format it prior to a flash of xbian?

I'm sorry, but for me you're talking nonsense that I can't follow. I was under the impression that it had already worked for you.

And no, the installer writes the image to the media as is, no matter what it is.
Why would it format anything?

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - meda20 - 3rd Nov, 2022 06:32 PM

Raspberry Pi 2B 1GB; Power supply rating: 2,5A; SD card: Kingston 8GB (10)
Network (Ethernet): 1Gbit; Connected devices: HDMI monitor FullHD, USB disk 16GB, USB keyboard.

Hello, I have a question about installing XBian on RPi 2B.
(XBian_2022.09.30_rpi4 /3/2 with Kodi 19.4)
I am installing on SD card, I will start the configuration first. After reboot, I perform a clone to a usb flash drive.
On the RPi 2B the hardware cannot be set to boot from USB.
The question is:
How do I modify the system boot files on the SD card so that the other part of the system and kodi will boot on the USB flash drive?
Thanks for the detailed step by step help, if possible.
Thank you very much.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 3rd Nov, 2022 09:07 PM

/boot/cmdline.txt:

root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 -> root=/dev/sda2

oh yes, change in the /etc/fstab as well

/dev/mmcblk0p2 -> /dev/sda2