Forum
Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? (/thread-4099.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - meda20 - 3rd Nov, 2022 11:21 PM

Thank you, I will try this at the first opportunity and report back.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - meda20 - 4th Nov, 2022 06:23 AM

@Nachteule - Thank you, I used the advice to RPi 2B boot from USB successfully.
I guess I don't always use the same version, I found the root parameter in two variations:
root=UUID=d2c25bab-1936-4c1b-b309-8fcaead6e413
and
root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
In the /etc/fstab file
I don't find an entry similar to /dev/mmcblk0p2
but I tried adding the line - although I don't know if it is needed.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - jankihaii3 - 31st Dec, 2022 08:20 PM

I think I'm having to update EACH of those parameters in the command just to get the boot order changed...which is definitely a mess

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Dashiell - 27th Sep, 2023 12:41 AM

The method you provided was of great help to me. Thank you for your help in solving the problem. Thank you for sharing.silly tavern

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - raj - 31st Oct, 2023 06:34 AM

Hi, my first post, I am not allowed to create new thread so I am posting here. It's relevant to Pi installation so hopefully OK. Most recent Xbian on Pi Zero 2W and there is no network adapter available in either command-line xbian-config or the Xbian addon in Kodi's GUI. It should see the wifi adapter, and other RPi OS's do see it. Any ideas ? I cannot find any reference to this issue on this forum, or anywhere else.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 2nd Nov, 2023 01:56 AM

@raj
Due to lack of hardware this model is not officially supported, it may or may not work.
By the way, it doesn't make sense to use Kodi on a system with only 512MB memory. You won't have any fun with it.
Sorry I don't have better news for you. I would be interested to know why the WLAN doesn't seem to work, but I don't think it's worth the effort to find out.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - raj - 2nd Nov, 2023 02:01 AM

It's a niche use, basically to provide a music centre on my boat with a 12V domestic battery supply so I can use minimal power requirements. In reality though it may not be any lower than the Pi 3A which runs XBian fine. I'd be happy to dig around to see what the probem is with WLAN, but I don't know how. Any pointers?

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 9th Nov, 2023 11:05 PM

First consult dmesg and see if there is anything regarding the broadcom wifi driver there

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - raj - 14th Nov, 2023 01:51 AM

(9th Nov, 2023 11:05 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  First consult dmesg and see if there is anything regarding the broadcom wifi driver there

yes, i can see "Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43436s-sdio.raspberrypi,model-zero-2-w.bin failed with error -2", but I cannot scoll upwards to see if there are any more messages as I cannot ssh into the device.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 15th Nov, 2023 09:50 PM

(14th Nov, 2023 01:51 AM)raj Wrote:  yes, i can see "Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43436s-sdio.raspberrypi,model-zero-2-w.bin failed with error -2", but I cannot scoll upwards to see if there are any more messages as I cannot ssh into the device.

I had already thought that it could be due to a lack of firmware in the first place. I did some research and found a lot about non-functioning WIFI on the Pi 2 W
Pi-OS has built its own firmware-brcm80211 package and adds it to its images. unfortunately the package is nowhere to be found for download and even in Debian Sid the required firmware files are still not available. Very unpleasant the whole thing.
Last resort was to extract the installed firmware package from Pi-OS and rebuild it for XBian. This is now available on our repo in devel branch. Of course this doesn't help you as you can't update it without network. So you have no choice but to wait for the new image and reinstall it.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - raj - 15th Nov, 2023 10:13 PM

(15th Nov, 2023 09:50 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  I had already thought that it could be due to a lack of firmware in the first place. I did some research and found a lot about non-functioning WIFI on the Pi 2 W
Pi-OS has built its own firmware-brcm80211 package and adds it to its images. unfortunately the package is nowhere to be found for download and even in Debian Sid the required firmware files are still not available. Very unpleasant the whole thing.
Last resort was to extract the installed firmware package from Pi-OS and rebuild it for XBian. This is now available on our repo in devel branch. Of course this doesn't help you as you can't update it without network. So you have no choice but to wait for the new image and reinstall it.

It's OK, I'm happy to reinstall. Alternatively, perhaps I could boot existing image on my 3A+ and enable devel in sources.list and update that way? Otherwise, when is the new image likely to be available?

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - Nachteule - 16th Nov, 2023 01:12 AM

(15th Nov, 2023 10:13 PM)raj Wrote:  It's OK, I'm happy to reinstall. Alternatively, perhaps I could boot existing image on my 3A+ and enable devel in sources.list and update that way? Otherwise, when is the new image likely to be available?

Plug the card into another pi and install the package should actually work.
New images are always available on Friday evening

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - raj - 16th Nov, 2023 01:58 AM

(16th Nov, 2023 01:12 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Plug the card into another pi and install the package should actually work.

Will do. I will be away for 10 days from Friday so will be a couple of weeks until I can install new image if I need to. Thanks very much for your help.

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 22nd Nov, 2023 04:17 PM

(16th Nov, 2023 01:12 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
(15th Nov, 2023 10:13 PM)raj Wrote:  It's OK, I'm happy to reinstall. Alternatively, perhaps I could boot existing image on my 3A+ and enable devel in sources.list and update that way? Otherwise, when is the new image likely to be available?

Plug the card into another pi and install the package should actually work.

The current "latest" package actually has an issue - I tried a clean install onto a new SD card with the installer both on a windows 11 machine as well as an ubuntu machine (both twice!) and my Pi failed to boot. Workaround was to go back a couple of weeks - everything worked as it should. easy to upgrade to current from there

RE: Raspberry Pi Installation Help? - gkusiak - 2nd Dec, 2023 04:17 AM

I just went to look for this week's update - it's not there yet.
But the file xbian-ffplay_6.1+.arm64 is in the button as the latest. what is that @Nachteule ? the current installer??