Forum
3D film problem on PI4 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 3D film problem on PI4 (/thread-4100.html)

3D film problem on PI4 - billythekid - 30th Sep, 2020 06:49 PM

Hi Kodi Guys,

I've got latest xbian installed on a raspberry pi 4 with kodi 18.8

when I read a 3d film that uses SBS format or TAB one (and I have lots that I have used with a different kodi box that work fine), kodi detects that the film is 3d and :

1) The interface changes to SBS (which is what I expect) so I get duplicate SBS interface BUT

2) It then only display one half of the video (I think it it is the LEFT image) In FULL SCREEN.

This means that when I turn the TV to 3D mode It tries to split the single LEFT image into a 3d SBS, which obviously goes wrong

I have tried many parameters, no way. The 3D image is always with one image (left one ?) in full screen ...

Do you have any ideas of what append here ?

Many thanks

RE: 3D film problem on PI4 - Nachteule - 1st Oct, 2020 01:34 AM

I'm sorry, I can't help you with that for now. I haven't used 3d for years, it's just too stupid with the glasses and in my opinion you get used to the 3d effect anyway and you don't even notice it anymore

RE: 3D film problem on PI4 - billythekid - 1st Oct, 2020 02:00 AM

(1st Oct, 2020 01:34 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  I'm sorry, I can't help you with that for now. I haven't used 3d for years, it's just too stupid with the glasses and in my opinion you get used to the 3d effect anyway and you don't even notice it anymore

Your opinion is globally shared, that is why TV do not support 3D any more. But personnaly i deeply desagree. If the film is correclty made in 3D the 3D effect is really amazing. I have tryed both to compare many time and believe me, there is no comparaison... 3D is the real life (we have two eyes ;-) ...)

RE: 3D film problem on PI4 - Nachteule - 1st Oct, 2020 09:33 PM

[/quote]
(1st Oct, 2020 02:00 AM)billythekid Wrote:  
(1st Oct, 2020 01:34 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  I'm sorry, I can't help you with that for now. I haven't used 3d for years, it's just too stupid with the glasses and in my opinion you get used to the 3d effect anyway and you don't even notice it anymore

Your opinion is globally shared, that is why TV do not support 3D any more. But personnaly i deeply desagree. If the film is correclty made in 3D the 3D effect is really amazing. I have tryed both to compare many time and believe me, there is no comparaison... 3D is the real life (we have two eyes ;-) ...)

May be, but how many films shot in 3d are there? You can count them on one hand. and everything else was converted into 3d afterwards. And there are certainly other reasons why the 3d hype is long gone

Quote:3D is the real life

... but not what the film industry offers you, these are just show effects, nothing more

RE: 3D film problem on PI4 - billythekid - 1st Oct, 2020 10:11 PM

It seem to be du of that the "RPI4 has a new GPU that needs new drivers.

The 3D part is basically not yet done because the whole driver underlays currently a rewrite to use the linux defaults instead of vendor dependent approaches."

Answers on another site..

It's seem thaht we have to wait ...

Nachteule: Cinema are equiped with 3D projector, entertainement industry make you pay more for blockbusters in 3D..
I think 3D is really not dead ...

RE: 3D film problem on PI4 - Nachteule - 2nd Oct, 2020 01:50 AM

(1st Oct, 2020 10:11 PM)billythekid Wrote:  It seem to be du of that the "RPI4 has a new GPU that needs new drivers.

The 3D part is basically not yet done because the whole driver underlays currently a rewrite to use the linux defaults instead of vendor dependent approaches."

Answers on another site..

It's seem thaht we have to wait ...

I know that. And yes, we still have to wait a looooooooooong time

Not working is (Kodi 19 Alpha)

3D
4K HEVC
HDR

Progress on Pi4 is rather a big step backwards

Quote:Nachteule: Cinema are equiped with 3D projector, entertainement industry make you pay more for blockbusters in 3D..
I think 3D is really not dead ...

I don't care. For me it has been dead for many years

RE: 3D film problem on PI4 - billythekid - 2nd Oct, 2020 02:25 AM

Sorry, i don'tt understand all your answer
When you say:

"I know that. And yes, we still have to wait a looooooooooong time

3D
4K HEVC
HDR
..."

Is that meaning this is not to be in the futur Kodi 19 release (as 3D, 4K HEVC, HDR, ..) ?

Thanks

RE: 3D film problem on PI4 - Exnor - 15th Oct, 2020 04:27 AM

(2nd Oct, 2020 02:25 AM)billythekid Wrote:  Sorry, i don'tt understand all your answer
When you say:

3D
4K HEVC
HDR
..."

Is that meaning this is not to be in the futur Kodi 19 release (as 3D, 4K HEVC, HDR, ..) ?

Thanks

I think "3D" is a dead format.... Yes when done right (Avatar... and i cannot think of another one TBH) is amazing, but at home not so much ( Auto Stereoscopic screen like the one on the New 3DS XL could be an answer but no major brand tried on big screens AFAIK).

So it appears "3D" support its not a priority for Kodi dev team... 4K HEVC and HDR are probably the ones that will get major attention and support since there are a lot of content using both techs.

RE: 3D film problem on PI4 - yourslustful - 28th Dec, 2022 05:32 PM

(2nd Oct, 2020 02:25 AM)billythekid Wrote:  Sorry, i don'tt understand all your answer
When you say:

Not working is (Kodi 19 Alpha) slime rancher 2
3D
4K HEVC
HDR
..."

Thanks

It would appear that the development team behind Kodi does not consider "3D" support to be a high priority. Since there is already so much content in 4K HEVC and HDR, these two technologies are likely to receive the most focus and backing.