Forum
Following update Kodi not starting - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Following update Kodi not starting (/thread-4123.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Following update Kodi not starting - Baz8755 - 3rd May, 2021 02:49 AM

I was prompted to restart this morning as normally happens on a regular basis, however unfortunately I get the Kodi splash screen and after a while I just get a Linux login.

The OS seems to be running and the Plex server I am running on the box also works fine but Kodi does not.

Anyone know what is going on, and what I need to check/do to get back up and running?

kodi.log showed, however I renamed kodi.log to kodi.old.log and reboot and a new kodi.log has not been created

2021-05-02 12:56:46.138 T:3381 INFO <general>: JSONRPC Server: New connection added
2021-05-02 12:56:55.298 T:3265 INFO <general>: Stopping player
2021-05-02 12:56:55.298 T:3265 INFO <general>: Storing total System Uptime
2021-05-02 12:56:55.299 T:3265 INFO <general>: Saving settings
2021-05-02 12:56:55.307 T:3265 INFO <general>: Saving skin settings
2021-05-02 12:56:55.685 T:3265 INFO <general>: Stopping all
2021-05-02 12:56:55.686 T:3265 INFO <general>: ES: Stopping event server
2021-05-02 12:56:55.687 T:3265 INFO <CWebserver[8080]>: Stopped
2021-05-02 12:56:56.051 T:3363 INFO <general>: ES: UDP Event server stopped
2021-05-02 12:56:56.148 T:3265 INFO <general>: stop dvd detect media
2021-05-02 12:57:01.152 T:3265 ERROR <general>: CPythonInvoker(0, /usr/local/share/kodi/addons/plugin.xbianconfig/services.py): script didn't stop in 5 seconds - let's kill it
2021-05-02 12:57:01.187 T:3350 INFO <general>: CPythonInvoker(1, /usr/local/share/kodi/addons/script.service.xbian.upstart-bridge/service.py): script successfully run
2021-05-02 12:57:01.226 T:3350 WARNING <general>: CPythonInvoker(1, /usr/local/share/kodi/addons/script.service.xbian.upstart-bridge/service.py): the python script "/usr/local/share/kodi/addons/script.service.xbian.upstart-bridge/service.py" has left several classes in memory that we couldn't clean up. The classes include: N9XBMCAddon4xbmc7MonitorE,N14PythonBindings31XBMCAddon_xbmc_Monitor_DirectorE,N1​4PythonBindings30XBMCAddon_xbmc_Player_DirectorE
2021-05-02 12:57:01.227 T:3350 INFO <general>: Python interpreter interrupted by user
2021-05-02 12:57:01.227 T:3265 INFO <general>: CServiceAddonManager: failed to stop service.xbmc.versioncheck (may have ended)
2021-05-02 12:57:01.229 T:3265 INFO <general>: Application stopped
2021-05-02 12:57:01.284 T:3349 INFO <general>: CPythonInvoker(0, /usr/local/share/kodi/addons/plugin.xbianconfig/services.py): script aborted
2021-05-02 12:57:01.284 T:3349 INFO <general>: CPythonInvoker(0, /usr/local/share/kodi/addons/plugin.xbianconfig/services.py): waiting on thread 2580721872
2021-05-02 12:57:01.463 T:3265 ERROR <general>: DBus error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.IOError - Input/output error
2021-05-02 12:57:01.463 T:3265 INFO <general>: XBApplicationEx: destroying...
2021-05-02 12:57:01.832 T:3265 INFO <general>: AddOnLog: peripheral.joystick: Disabling joystick interface "linux"
2021-05-02 12:57:01.833 T:3265 INFO <general>: ADDON: Dll Destroyed - Joystick Support
2021-05-02 12:57:01.833 T:3265 INFO <general>: unload skin
2021-05-02 12:57:01.861 T:3265 INFO <general>: Unloaded skin

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - Nachteule - 3rd May, 2021 05:22 AM

Yesterday there was a rebuild of the xbian-package-xbmc (Kodi), so your problem can only come from that
Unfortunately you give practically no information about your system and also your logfile is honestly not usable.

Therefore I can't help you.

Anyway, I just tested latest Kodi and I can't see any problems

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - Baz8755 - 3rd May, 2021 06:31 AM

(3rd May, 2021 05:22 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Yesterday there was a rebuild of the xbian-package-xbmc (Kodi), so your problem can only come from that
Unfortunately you give practically no information about your system and also your logfile is honestly not usable.

Therefore I can't help you.

Anyway, I just tested latest Kodi and I can't see any problems

My system is a RPI 4 with 128 GB sandisk SDHC, standard build with no add-ons except for Plex that I installed from Linux a year ago. All has been running and updating fine until today.

I appreciate my log may be of no use as Kodi does not appear to be creating logs since update.

Kodi does appear to try and boot as I get all the splash screens but instead of the GUI it just gives a Linux login.

When I check for updates it says all up to date.

I have done a clean install on a spare SD card and it boots but that does not help too much as I would have to reinstall and configure Plex and all my libraries.

I suppose my only hope to avoid rebuilding from almost scratch is that a subsequent update fixes my issue so how often are updates issued?

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - Nachteule - 3rd May, 2021 07:00 AM

Just install the previous version of xbian-package-xbmc and see if Kodi starts successfully

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - Baz8755 - 3rd May, 2021 07:19 AM

(3rd May, 2021 07:00 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Just install the previous version of xbian-package-xbmc and see if Kodi starts successfully

Sounds like a good plan, where do I find out how to do that?

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - Baz8755 - 3rd May, 2021 10:05 PM

(3rd May, 2021 07:19 AM)Baz8755 Wrote:  
(3rd May, 2021 07:00 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Just install the previous version of xbian-package-xbmc and see if Kodi starts successfully

Sounds like a good plan, where do I find out how to do that?

So this morning I installed latest PI 4 disk image (XBian_2021.04.30_rpi4.img) from download site and booted up OK. I went into xbian-config and did several iterations of updates until it came back all up to date.

Rebooted again, checked updates for good measure and xbain Release mirror repository was failing. I tried to start installing plex and all of the following commands failed with the repositary error
apt-get update
apt-get install apt-transport-https
apt-get install curl

So have given up for now Sad

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - Baz8755 - 4th May, 2021 01:32 AM

Using apt-get to install previous version fixed the issue and Kodi now works. However the sound quality is not good.

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - Nachteule - 4th May, 2021 05:17 AM

If I understood you correctly, the problem is the current package xbian-package-xbmc, right?

And what is wrong with the sound?

I have the feeling that something is going on with your system.

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - Baz8755 - 4th May, 2021 06:57 AM

(4th May, 2021 05:17 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  If I understood you correctly, the problem is the current package xbian-package-xbmc, right?

And what is wrong with the sound?

I have the feeling that something is going on with your system.

I will try and explain this weekends events and investigations from the top

Until this weekend I had a stable system running on a RPI4 with 128GB SD card (this system also had a plex server installed, this weekend KODI asked for a reboot. Upon rebooting KODI would show boot screens and then drop to linux login, it was not producing kodi.log

In an attempt to resolve issues I did a clean install of latest image onto a different SD card, this works fine however when I try the following commands to be able to reinstall plex I get the following

"root@xbian:/home/xbian# apt-get update
Hit:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
Err:2 http://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt Mirrorlist
404 Not Found [IP: 77.235.33.28 80]
Ign:3 mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt stable InRelease
Err:4 mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt stable Release
Downloading mirror file failed
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt stable Release' no longer has a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

root@xbian:/home/xbian# apt-get upgrade
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
xbian-package-xbmc
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 90.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 818 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Get:1 http://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt Mirrorlist [93 B]
Get:2 http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/apt.xbian.org stable/rpi2-buster armhf xbian-package-xbmc armhf 19.0-1619881864 [90.0 MB]
Fetched 90.0 MB in 29s (3,123 kB/s)
E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Pre-Invoke '[ -e /etc/default/xbian-snap ] && . /etc/default/xbian-snap; [ $ENABLEDAPT = yes ] || exit 0; z=$(findmnt -n / | awk '{print $2}'); z=${z#*\[\/}; echo $z | grep -q '\]' && z=${z%%\/*}; which xbian-snapper >/dev/null && xbian-snapper -k $KEEPAPT -l apt-run $z;'
E: Sub-process returned an error code

root@xbian:/home/xbian# apt-get install apt-transport-https
Building dependency tree
The following NEW packages will be installed:
apt-transport-https
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/149 kB of archives.
After this operation, 156 kB of additional disk space will be used.
E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Pre-Invoke '[ -e /etc/default/xbian-snap ] && . /etc/default/xbian-snap; [ $ENABLEDAPT = yes ] || exit 0; z=$(findmnt -n / | awk '{print $2}'); z=${z#*\[\/}; echo $z | grep -q '\]' && z=${z%%\/*}; which xbian-snapper >/dev/null && xbian-snapper -k $KEEPAPT -l apt-run $z;'
E: Sub-process returned an error code

root@xbian:/home/xbian# apt-get install curl
Building dependency tree
The following NEW packages will be installed:
curl
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/257 kB of archives.
After this operation, 351 kB of additional disk space will be used.
E: Sub-process returned an error code"

Seeing that this new build seemed to be having problems with repositories I booted from my original SD card and using apt-get I installed the previous xbmc package, this worked and all appeared well. However when I played a file the low frequency audio had a slight clicking sound. I then tried booting on the card with the new install and there was no clicking.

So in summary I now have 2 SD cards.
1. My original card from before the weekend that has been upgraded automatically and has now had xbmc package reverted to previous version. All seems fine except for slight audio issue that definitely was not there before.
2. A completely new installed card with disk image from xbian download site that works fine except the repositaries aren't working correctly.

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - pontomedon - 4th May, 2021 07:27 AM

I can confirm the issue on my RPi4. I didn't use it in 2-3 days; today it asked for a reboot and wouldn't come back up, after the splash screen it eventually showed a linux login prompt (after a minute or so). Tried a few reboots via SSH, re-installed all of the xbian packages (everything was on the latest versions), same result. Dmesg showed some kind of issue with zram, the kodi log wasn't even touched, it still showed the shutdown from before the issue.

Following Nachteule's advice, I downgraded xbian-package-xbmc from 19.0-1619923564 to 19.0-1618363979, which seems to have fixed the issue for me (thanks!).

Now that I manually downgraded, how to I prevent it from upgrading to the broken version again? If needed, I'm happy to help debugging the issue, just tell me what to do - I'm comfortable with linux in general but by no means a pro Smile

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - Baz8755 - 4th May, 2021 07:31 AM

(4th May, 2021 07:27 AM)pontomedon Wrote:  I can confirm the issue on my RPi4. I didn't use it in 2-3 days; today it asked for a reboot and wouldn't come back up, after the splash screen it eventually showed a linux login prompt (after a minute or so). Tried a few reboots via SSH, re-installed all of the xbian packages (everything was on the latest versions), same result. Dmesg showed some kind of issue with zram, the kodi log wasn't even touched, it still showed the shutdown from before the issue.

Following Nachteule's advice, I downgraded xbian-package-xbmc from 19.0-1619923564 to 19.0-1618363979, which seems to have fixed the issue for me (thanks!).

Now that I manually downgraded, how to I prevent it from upgrading to the broken version again? If needed, I'm happy to help debugging the issue, just tell me what to do - I'm comfortable with linux in general but by no means a pro Smile

I would check your audio as everything seemed fine for me too until I played a movie through my AV amp and I heard the slight clicking/crackling

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - pontomedon - 4th May, 2021 07:38 AM

(4th May, 2021 07:31 AM)Baz8755 Wrote:  I would check your audio as everything seemed fine for me too until I played a movie through my AV amp and I heard the slight clicking/crackling

I did, and didn't notice anything in a minute or so. I'm not using it atm, but I'll definitely report back in case I notice anything. I assume any audio issue will very much depend on the setup - my RPi is connected via HDMI to an Onkyo AV Receiver, and iirc I configured Kodi to pass through as many audio formats as possible and not do any decoding.

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - Nachteule - 4th May, 2021 08:30 AM

Quote:E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Pre-Invoke '[ -e /etc/default/xbian-snap ] && . /etc/default/xbian-snap; [ $ENABLEDAPT = yes ] || exit 0; z=$(findmnt -n / | awk '{print $2}'); z=${z#*\[\/}; echo $z | grep -q '\]' && z=${z%%\/*}; which xbian-snapper >/dev/null && xbian-snapper -k $KEEPAPT -l apt-run $z;'

Seeing that this new build seemed to be having problems with repositories I booted from my original SD card and using apt-get I installed the previous xbmc package, this worked and all appeared

This has nothing to do with repositories, due to unexplained problems this script snippet does not work properly to create a snapshot before downloading and installing packages
And this has guaranteed nothing to do directly with the package xbian-package-xbmc

In the meantime I have updated another installation and could not find any errors at all.
Anyway I deleted the new xbian-package-xbmc and will build a new one tonight, which hopefully won't cause any problems anymore.

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - Baz8755 - 4th May, 2021 07:32 PM

(4th May, 2021 07:38 AM)pontomedon Wrote:  
(4th May, 2021 07:31 AM)Baz8755 Wrote:  I would check your audio as everything seemed fine for me too until I played a movie through my AV amp and I heard the slight clicking/crackling

I did, and didn't notice anything in a minute or so. I'm not using it atm, but I'll definitely report back in case I notice anything. I assume any audio issue will very much depend on the setup - my RPi is connected via HDMI to an Onkyo AV Receiver, and iirc I configured Kodi to pass through as many audio formats as possible and not do any decoding.

Interesting, I was not on version 19.0-1618363979 last night. Installed it this morning and sound is all good now, so it looks like there was an issue with sound on the newer version.

(4th May, 2021 08:30 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  
Quote:E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Pre-Invoke '[ -e /etc/default/xbian-snap ] && . /etc/default/xbian-snap; [ $ENABLEDAPT = yes ] || exit 0; z=$(findmnt -n / | awk '{print $2}'); z=${z#*\[\/}; echo $z | grep -q '\]' && z=${z%%\/*}; which xbian-snapper >/dev/null && xbian-snapper -k $KEEPAPT -l apt-run $z;'

Seeing that this new build seemed to be having problems with repositories I booted from my original SD card and using apt-get I installed the previous xbmc package, this worked and all appeared

This has nothing to do with repositories, due to unexplained problems this script snippet does not work properly to create a snapshot before downloading and installing packages
And this has guaranteed nothing to do directly with the package xbian-package-xbmc

In the meantime I have updated another installation and could not find any errors at all.
Anyway I deleted the new xbian-package-xbmc and will build a new one tonight, which hopefully won't cause any problems anymore.

Up and running on 19.0-1618363979 now, will wait out any updates for a while.

As for snapshots that was because I didn't sudo, oops!

Thanks for your help

RE: Following update Kodi not starting - Nachteule - 5th May, 2021 04:37 AM

So, I have now tested the xbian-package-xbmc briefly. to be on the safe side, this is now in the staging repository

What I have done:
- Flashed new image (latest from april 30) and started Pi4
- Then staging repo activated, here I had to find that the last image build run unfortunately the xbian-package-repo from the devel repo was used, which is stupidly wrong. So already comes the message that a distribution upgrade to Bullseye is available.
Furthermore the URL mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt for staging and devel repo in file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list is not correct, it should be http://apt.xbian.org. I already fixed this here
- Stopped Kodi
- Then sudo apt-get update and apt-get upgrade to install latest xbian-package-xbmc built from built tonight
- started Kodi ... everything is ok
- finally, poweroff Pi4 and start it again, Kodi starts normally, no problem visible

So it would be nice if you could also install and test the xbian-package-xbmc from the staging repo.