Forum
[SOLVED] Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it (/thread-4135.html)

Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - postcd - 14th Nov, 2021 06:11 AM

Initial startup cause window inviting to change default user password. I have changed it, then via SSH changed it again. And after each reboot there is this stupid invitation again and again even password "hash" is certainly different from default "raspberry". (have image like 3 days old and Rpi4).

RE: Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - Nachteule - 15th Nov, 2021 10:59 PM

Option 1: Kodi XBian-Config GUI
Kodi->Settings->XBian->System->XBian password: change password and watch for the sucessfully Toast message

Option 2: SSH connection and xbian-config CLI
sudo xbian-config (if not already running)
2 Settings->2 Accounts->2 XBian password: change password and notice the successful messagebos

Option 3: (not recommended!): If you act too stupid or whatever:
sudo touch /usr/local/include/xbian-config/config/xbianpass

RE: Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - postcd - 16th Nov, 2021 02:58 AM

Thanks, I have tried option 2 (xbian-config via SSH) and it WORKED.

I would not bother you if you you would make Xbian detect password changed via SSH command: passwd xbian
Instead Kodi GUI posted fake message that password needs to be changed, which is wrong because it was already changed via "passwd xbian".

RE: Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - Nachteule - 16th Nov, 2021 07:56 AM

Neither xbian-config nor Kodi Xbian-Config GUI can know if the password has already been changed by other means. This is also not intended to change the password with passwd or the similar programs.

RE: Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - postcd - 17th Nov, 2021 06:15 AM

maybe xbian-config can discover it from output of following:

$ chage -l xbian
Last password change : Nov 15, 2021

$ passwd -S
xbian P 11/15/2021 0 99999 7 -1

(second shows date of last password change)

RE: Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - Nachteule - 17th Nov, 2021 09:21 PM

This is a good approach, however, something more must be done to be able to detect a password change reliably, since the password was already changed in the fresh images.

RE: Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - Nachteule - 20th Nov, 2021 01:21 AM

I have now implemented this, so the password should be recognized correctly in all cases
See this commit

RE: Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - postcd - 20th Nov, 2021 01:45 AM

Thanks, good improvement, no more inappropriate password change prompts.

RE: Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - tonyadam - 17th Oct, 2022 01:30 PM

In my opinion, option 2 is totally available. I often change passwords this way. fall guys drift boss

RE: Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - cabriofahrer - 24th Oct, 2022 07:18 PM

Hello, I am a newcomer and therefore not allowed to post a new thread here, so this is the thread which is the closest to my question:

How can I deactivate this security warning pop-up that the password has not been changed WITHOUT changing the password?
Same for the pop-up that says that no backup has been made in a long time? It is simply annoying and I think that it causes problems when controlling Kodi remotely from my smartphone without wanting to turn on my TV.

RE: Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - Nachteule - 24th Oct, 2022 09:58 PM

Password Change -> You can't
All Others: Already discussed here in forum. Kodi -> XBian-Config->Preference->Advanced Mode and then you can

RE: Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - cabriofahrer - 25th Oct, 2022 03:49 AM

(24th Oct, 2022 09:58 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  Password Change -> You can't
All Others: Already discussed here in forum. Kodi -> XBian-Config->Preference->Advanced Mode and then you can

Could you be a little more specific, please?
- URL to thread where already discussed here in the forum?
- I tried "Kodi -> XBian-Config->Preference->Advanced Mode". So you activate the switch for Advanced Mode and then what? Where can I deactivate the two messages that prompt for password change and home backup?

RE: Xbian password need to change - even i have changed it - Nachteule - 25th Oct, 2022 03:54 AM

No, I have absolutely no desire to
Just let yourself be surprised what happens
We are not in kindergarten here