Forum
aarm64 option? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: aarm64 option? (/thread-4155.html)

aarm64 option? - gkusiak - 6th Aug, 2022 01:18 AM

I was just in the settings menu for the first time in a while, and noticed there's an option to switch to the 64bit OS.
Cool!
what should I be prepared for if I choose to go that way? will addons break? should I have done it from the start so the right dependencies and packages were installed and get updated?
4GB RasPi4...not the latest, the original with 1.5GHz processor. I do have a newer version I could swap out if it'll make a difference...

RE: aarm64 option? - Nachteule - 6th Aug, 2022 03:30 AM

It does not affect the OS, but only the kernel
The rest will remain at 32 bit for the foreseeable future.
(some libraries still in use are only 32 bit)

RE: aarm64 option? - gkusiak - 6th Aug, 2022 06:21 AM

Thank you.
I guess what I was asking is if there are any drawbacks/downsides to switching...are there?

RE: aarm64 option? - Nachteule - 6th Aug, 2022 06:39 AM

No

To be honest, I personally don't see any advantages/disadvantages for normal users.
Theoretically you can run 64 bit software in a docker container or kvm/qemu vm with the 64 bit kernel. but who does that?

Personally, I have been using the 64 bit for many many weeks and have absolutely no problems with it.

RE: aarm64 option? - gkusiak - 7th Aug, 2022 03:22 AM

I've made the switch and the UI is possibly a bit faster/snappier, but video definitely seems cleaner or better converted..to my eyes. I also think my Pi's cooling fan hasn't been triggering as often.

Thank you

RE: aarm64 option? - Nachteule - 7th Aug, 2022 08:26 PM

(7th Aug, 2022 03:22 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  I've made the switch and the UI is possibly a bit faster/snappier, but video definitely seems cleaner or better converted..to my eyes. I also think my Pi's cooling fan hasn't been triggering as often.

Thank you

So points 1 and 3 may be true. But I can't quite understand why the decoded videos should look better. That would mean that the cpu/gpu decodes differently, which I can hardly imagine.
But if that's the case, then at least the work from 4 months ago was worth it Smile

RE: aarm64 option? - gkusiak - 8th Aug, 2022 03:58 AM

(7th Aug, 2022 08:26 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  But if that's the case, then at least the work from 4 months ago was worth it Smile
IF is the key word, but I've no doubts the work is and will be worth it going forward

RE: aarm64 option? - gkusiak - 11th Aug, 2022 12:16 AM

I've seen some error messages about Superepo making the system either unstable or susceptible to attack ... (I didn't install it - is it a default installation?)
should I post a logfile somewhere?

RE: aarm64 option? - Nachteule - 11th Aug, 2022 12:25 AM

Ignore it of remove that repo. This repo is dead

Should actually no longer be available for new images

RE: aarm64 option? - gkusiak - 11th Aug, 2022 10:08 AM

(11th Aug, 2022 12:25 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Ignore it of remove that repo. This repo is dead

The thing is, I don't recall installing it. UPDATE - removed it (where ever it came from) and log has cleaned up significantly

are there addons that I can't talk about here like on the kodi forum?

RE: aarm64 option? - Nachteule - 13th Aug, 2022 11:15 PM

(11th Aug, 2022 10:08 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  
(11th Aug, 2022 12:25 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  Ignore it of remove that repo. This repo is dead

The thing is, I don't recall installing it. UPDATE - removed it (where ever it came from) and log has cleaned up significantly

This used to be included automatically. I think I've removed all that in the meantime.

No, such forbidden addons only exist on the Kodi forum.

RE: aarm64 option? - gkusiak - 24th Aug, 2022 12:31 AM

(13th Aug, 2022 11:15 PM)Nachteule Wrote:  
(11th Aug, 2022 10:08 AM)gkusiak Wrote:  

This used to be included automatically. I think I've removed all that in the meantime.

No, such forbidden addons only exist on the Kodi forum.
wonderful!

RE: aarm64 option? - binnaclecarrot - 18th Apr, 2023 02:50 PM

In addition, I have seen warnings that Superepo may leave the system susceptible or unstable.

RE: aarm64 option? - gkusiak - 14th Aug, 2023 11:47 PM

I'm not sure where to post this, so maybe this thread I started a year ago (!!! time flies...) is the place:
Umbrella addon working better than any I've ever had in my time with xbian/kodi...
isn't the current kernel in use by xbian in line with debian bookworm more than bullseye ?
Pedantic, I know...apologies.

RE: aarm64 option? - Nachteule - 15th Aug, 2023 02:50 AM

I would not compare the kernel with Bullseye or Bookworm, but the kernel version is usually always the one used by Raspberry directly, which is currently 6.1.x. Of course, the configs are slightly different.