Forum
On board wifi expectations - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: On board wifi expectations (/thread-4163.html)

On board wifi expectations - grandcanyon - 26th Jan, 2023 06:35 AM

I have a Rpi 3+ and I am using the onboard WiFi and BT. My PI is in a plastic case. My Windows laptop gets around 275MBps on wifi whereas the Rpi 3+ get's about 70MBps. Is this what I can expect for Wifi speeds. The PI is in the same room as the router and I am connected through 5G. No walls in between. I have line of site to the router. Would disabling BT help as I have a BT dongle. In the past, the BT adapter had issues with the PI and kernel based on the lsusb number but that was awhile back.

On board wifi expectations - f1vefour - 26th Jan, 2023 06:35 PM

That's about as good as it's going to get with the onboard WiFi

RE: On board wifi expectations - gkusiak - 27th Jan, 2023 08:16 AM

I would go so far to say that connecting your xbian Pi via wifi will lead to difficulties with it as an HTPC: you can't count on constant wifi speeds like you can a wired connection.

On board wifi expectations - f1vefour - 27th Jan, 2023 02:32 PM

It's not too bad as long as there isn't a lot of distance or interference but wired is much better.

RE: On board wifi expectations - grandcanyon - 7th Feb, 2023 01:05 PM

I'm a couple of meters away. I could get a repeater and a USB Gigaport adapter and try to get more speed. I saw someone did some tests and this gave them the most speeds but I'm not sure if it's worth it?. My router was having problems (slow speeds about two months ago fixed by a hard reset) and it finally stopped routing internet so I ended up installing OpenWRT and the router is working again. I may wait and see how it goes with the new router config. I have both bands going over the same SSID.

RE: On board wifi expectations - EmmaAlva - 12th Apr, 2024 02:09 PM

I installed OpenWRT and now the router is functioning once more.
tiny fishing