Forum
[solved] sound on audio jack instead of hdmi - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Video and Audio (/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: [solved] sound on audio jack instead of hdmi (/thread-4180.html)

[solved] sound on audio jack instead of hdmi - mclien - 25th Dec, 2023 09:32 PM

Hardware
Device type and model: raspberyPi 4B, 1,5GHz 4GB
Power supply rating: 5V, 3A (USB-c)
SD card size and make/type: 32Gb, class10, HC
Network (Ethernet or wireless): Ethernet
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...): Beamer HD (hdmi), nfs-share

Log files
Link to logfile(s): let me know which one from /var/log will help wit the problem

Problem description:
All I want is getting the sound output from the headphone jack instead of the hdmi.

But all howtos are about getting it work with hdmi, which it does our of the box. Therefore I couldn't find any entry which would bind it to the head-jack (bmc2835). At least I couldn't find the corresponding entry for the /boot/config.txt

What I do have:
-the sound module bcm2835 is present in lsmod
-the kodi audio setting has only hdmi outputs select-able.
-the hdmi sound works (beamer has a lousy mini-mono speaker)
-using the hdmi output form the beamer works (so the silly hardware solution would be to have the hdmi cable upt to the beamer at the ceilling and than an extra audio cable back down to the raspi)

Sorry if I was just again to search with the right keywords.

Software
XBian version: 20231207
XBMC/Kodi version: whatever come with the above
Overclock settings: none

How to reproduce:
Install the above image on the above mentioned hardware and try to get a headphone plugged into the raspi head jack work.[/term]

EDIT: Or do I need to install alsa utils first to get it working at all?

RE: sound on audio jack instead of hdmi - Nachteule - 26th Dec, 2023 02:46 AM

You don't have do install anything.

I had the same problem with my 64bit test installation that I'm currently developing when I checked it.

Strangely enough I don't have the problem with my standard installation, although it is also 64bit and has the same kernel and firmware.

I found out that the firmware somehow has an error when processing the /boot/config.txt and therefore
dtparam=audio=on
is not processed correctly.

Remedy is to add a

dtoverlay=

before this parameter, then it works

I've added that dummy parameter as follows:

Code:
# ******************************************************************************
# * Various settings see also: https://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt               *
# * to obtain keys visit the shop at https://codecs.raspberrypi.com/           *
# ******************************************************************************

[all]
dtoverlay=

# Enables turbo mode from boot for the given value in seconds (up to 60) or
# until cpufreq sets a frequency. Default 0

hth

RE: sound on audio jack instead of hdmi - mclien - 26th Dec, 2023 04:02 AM

Thanks for that, will check that and report back.
As for the next step: Is there a parameter to set, which switches sound over hdmi of by default?

EDIT:
Sadly not working for me, still hdmi only audio
EDIT2:
Ah, mea culpa. That sets the audio to be selected in the kodi config, which lets you choose between the headphone only and both hdml and headphones parallel. Thanks a lot.

Is that something, which could/should be but into the image? or can that break something else?

RE: sound on audio jack instead of hdmi - Nachteule - 26th Dec, 2023 04:25 AM

You're confusing me. First you want to have sound via the audio jack and now you suddenly want to switch the sound via hdmi by parameter? Can you make up your mind?
I am not aware of such a parameter, you set everything directly in Kodi. There is also an addon in which you can set the sound device depending on the media you're playing. It's called Audio Profiles

RE: [solved] sound on audio jack instead of hdmi - mclien - 26th Dec, 2023 04:57 AM

(26th Dec, 2023 04:25 AM)Nachteule Wrote:  You're confusing me. First you want to have sound via the audio jack and now you suddenly want to switch the sound via hdmi by parameter? Can you make up your mind?
Ah, sorry posted to much info. I thought after fixing the /boot/config.txt it would work instantly over head jack. While that parameter enables the settings inside Kodi, which I have to change, too, of course.

I just wanted to note additionally, that now all combinations are choose-able from the Kodi settings.
And my question was, if the "dtoverlay=" should be added in the /boot/config.txt of the official xbian image, so the problem won't occur again.

RE: [solved] sound on audio jack instead of hdmi - Nachteule - 1st Jan, 2024 12:34 AM

(26th Dec, 2023 04:57 AM)mclien Wrote:  And my question was, if the "dtoverlay=" should be added in the /boot/config.txt of the official xbian image, so the problem won't occur again.

Don't worry, this has already been corrected and will also be official in newly built images with the release of Raspberry Pi 5