Forum
CEC not working at all - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Remotes and CEC support (/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: CEC not working at all (/thread-425.html)

CEC not working at all - Kinnell - 10th Feb, 2013 04:08 AM

CEC doesn't appear to be working on my raspberry pi. It's enabled in xbmc but does not show up in the devices list on my TV and the TV remote has no effect. I've tried logging in via ssh and running cec-config but it just hangs and crashes xbmc. Nothing shows up in the debug log when en/disabling CEC in xbmc.

Versions:
xbian: 1.0a4
xbmc: 12.0-RC1

Television:
Samsung LE40C530
Software Version T-MSX5DEUC-2002.2

RE: CEC not working at all - raspberry_pd - 10th Feb, 2013 04:42 AM

I think I was reading on Pulse-Eight that some HDMI cables are made without the CEC wire to cut costs or something. That could be a problem. Try another HDMI cable if you can find one.

I've never used cec-config to get CEC working. I may have just been lucky in testing two LGs and one Sony that just happen to support CEC.

Most feedback I've heard about Samsung's and CEC with the Raspi is positive so it's a shame this is happening for you. Your unit is reasonably new and does support "Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)" according to the specs on the Samsung site.

Are you aware that CEC is known as Anynet in Samsung lingo? I have a slight suspicion you might be searching the normal list of ports on most TVs, where both Sony and LG (in my case) do not necessarily classify CEC connections or devices under the normal devices list.

For example, the device list on your TV could well be something like:

HDMI 1
HDMI 2
HDMI 3
PC (RGB)
USB
Component (Y/Pb/Pr)
Composite (AV)

but that doesn't mean you will see anything with the phrase "CEC" or the "Xbian" label the CEC adaptor in Xbian uses.

Also have another look at your manual on pages 29 -31

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201004/20100408132750703/BN68-02542D-00Eng-0304.pdf

as there are some troubleshooting guides there.

If you're still out of luck, try ensuring the CEC adaptor settings in XBMC are all default, reboot and take a copy of your xmbc.log then paste it somewhere we can take a look at it. AFAIK the CEC adaptor attempts to set itself up during or shortly after boot. This may explain why you do not see any notices in the log during enabling or disabling but does not necessarily mean there's no CEC data in the xbmc.log

RE: CEC not working at all - Kinnell - 10th Feb, 2013 06:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like it was the cable. I got a new one and it now works more or less (although when I then plugged the old cable back in it also worked - must be a loose wire). It's still a bit flakey though. XBMC kept crashing on boot until I disabled CEC on the TV then when it had booted OK and I re-enabled CEC it was fine. If I get more crashes I'll post detailed logs.

Re: CEC not working at all - rikardo1979 - 10th Feb, 2013 06:34 AM

can you try what I've posted here please
http://forum.xbian.org/showthread.php?pid=3735#pid3735