Forum
[HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Installation (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot (/thread-477.html)

Pages: 1 2

[HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - reeeky2001 - 20th Feb, 2013 05:56 AM

Intro: I wanted to use Xbian in BerryBoot on the RPi, b/c I'm new to the Pi and wanted to find out what distro I wanted to use, w/o having to constantly backup and wipe my SD card. So BerryBoot it was.

Prerequisites:
PC w/ Linux (I used ubunutu from a DVD)
Raspberry Pi w/ keyboard and mouse
Xbian img file
SD card
USB stick at least as big as your SD card

How to:
  1. Install Xbian img on SD card
  2. Put SD Card in RPi and let it resize and start up fully.
  3. Shutdown RPi, unplug mouse and use keyboard. Start the RPi again.
  4. While Xbian is starting, but before the GUI is started (b/c I can't figure out how to start a terminal instance in XBMC), press Control-C then use the command "dd bs=1M if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/media/sda1/backup.img", sda1 being my USB stick.
  5. Wait until its done. This could take a while depending on the size of your SD card, mine was 4GB and took about 15 mins.
  6. Once its finished you'll be able to start programs/commands again. Turn off RPi and unplug USB stick.
  7. Mount USB in Linux on PC. I used Ubunutu 12.10 LiveCD, as its not my primary OS.
  8. Use the following code, obviously if loop2p2 is something else, use that.
    Code:
    $ sudo kpartx -av backup.img
    add map loop2p1 (252:5): 0 117187 linear /dev/loop0 1
    add map loop2p2 (252:6): 0 3493888 linear /dev/loop0 118784
    $ sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop2p2 /mnt
  9. Goto /mnt/etc/ and commented out all the entries in fstab
    Code:
    $ sudo sed -i 's/^\/dev\/mmcblk/#\0/g' /mnt/etc/fstab
    This code may do that, but I did it manually. I do get a warning when starting Xbian via BerryBoot that may be the result of me not using this code, but idk.
  10. Use mksquash on the img that we mounted, make sure squashfs-tools is installed, "sudo apt-get install squashfs-tools" if its not installed.
    Code:
    $ sudo mksquashfs /mnt /media/sda1/xbian-bb.img -comp lzo -e lib/modules
    $ sudo umount /mnt
    $ sudo kpartx -d image_you_want_to_convert.img
  11. Put this img file on your USB drive, boot the BerryBoot SD card on your RPi, click edit menu, click and hold on Add OS until you get a sub-menu for adding IMG from USB.
  12. Add the XBian img and go from there. You should know what to do now

Also, you could ignore the above and install the img here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?by1007dtub0wro4

RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - javcarbe - 22nd Feb, 2013 11:44 AM

I restore the img in the sdcard didnt boot, i did something wrong

RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - brantje - 23rd Feb, 2013 07:51 AM

What xbian version is the img?

RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - reeeky2001 - 5th Mar, 2013 04:01 AM

(23rd Feb, 2013 07:51 AM)brantje Wrote:  What xbian version is the img?

It WAS the latest at the time, so Alpha 4 I believe.

RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - Bref - 19th Jul, 2013 05:41 PM

What is wrong?

What I do:

- install xbian on sd card (download image, dd to sd card)
- start pi and let it do its stuff (expand etc)
- login via ssh
- sudo dd bs=1M if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/pathtomyexternalusbdriveattachedtothepi/out.img
go back to my laptop with my usbdrive.
- sudo kpartx -av /pathtomyexternalusbdriveattachedtothepi/out.img
- sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop2p2 /mnt

now what I get:

bref@Bref-wan:~$ tree -L 2 /mnt
/mnt
├── home
│   ├── @
│   └── @safe
└── root
├── @
└── @safe

meaning something went strange and I cannot go on with changing fstab, mksquashfs etc.

cheers

RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - mk01 - 19th Jul, 2013 06:03 PM

(20th Feb, 2013 05:56 AM)reeeky2001 Wrote:  [*]While Xbian is starting, but before the GUI is started (b/c I can't figure out how to start a terminal instance in XBMC), press Control-C then use the command "dd bs=1M if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/media/sda1/backup.img", sda1 being my USB stick.

best way (and for me the only one which should be followed) is to put "rescue" into cmdline.txt and to it from emergency shell.

(or hold down shift on keyboard during boot.

btw: https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian-package-initramfs/wiki/XBian-specific-cmdline.txt-options

(19th Jul, 2013 05:41 PM)Bref Wrote:  What is wrong?

/mnt
├── home
│   ├── @
│   └── @safe
└── root
├── @
└── @safe

this correct. just for root fs mount use additional parameter "subvol=root/@" and for home (to be mounted under /home) "subvol=home/@"

this are sub volumes used under normal operations, @safe ones are snapshots with frozen state as it was on beta1 image. for failover, rescue booting etc.

you can delete it, if not needed with btrfs command, exactly as you have it mounted now, just run

"btrfs sub del /mnt/root/@safe" and "btrfs sub del /mnt/home/@safe"

RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - Bref - 19th Jul, 2013 11:09 PM

Thanks.

I had no idea about the btrfs and subvolumes.

One step closer to my raspify/xbian pi Smile

Help xbian in berryboot - coloxim - 5th Dec, 2013 05:41 AM

Hi guys...I've read some guide for install xbian in berryboot, but is too much complicated for me...is it possible that there isn't a simple way to do it?
Someone can help me? Please...

RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - rikardo1979 - 5th Dec, 2013 06:27 AM

(5th Dec, 2013 05:41 AM)coloxim Wrote:  Hi guys...I've read some guide for install xbian in berryboot, but is too much complicated for me...is it possible that there isn't a simple way to do it?
Someone can help me? Please...

merged your thread into this one as there is no need to have a separate one opened!

Also here you have some HowTo so you can try follow and also you can discuss further if needed.
-thx-

RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - coloxim - 5th Dec, 2013 07:44 AM

Sorry...

Smile

RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - mk01 - 5th Dec, 2013 09:26 AM

@coloxim

just short info until I upload the packages (later today), but:

current XBian deb packages (and content) is fine tuned to such extend that it is possible to download download public Raspbian image and with stock config without any mods or edits you can install XBian packages (as you would install any other simple application available from raspbian / debian repo.

then you can either manually have full control over starting x-windows (with FB browser etc) or xbmc. or you can choose to have XBian set booting to X-Windows as user pi by default. then if you just re-login as user XBian, XBMC will be started. and after XBMC quit, you are again in X-Windows. of course without reboot or console fidling.

this is often requested by the users so you don't have to care about two separated systems - but if it is not suitable for you, you choose to host another system on standalone partition, drive or subvolume on XBian's btrfs filesystem. then if cmdline.txt contains "bootmenu" XBian's during early boot searches all attached drives (SD cards, sticks, USB external drives) for user boot configuration (boot netry). then it lets you to pick one and boot it.

you will find details under section Installation in few hours.

mk

R: RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - coloxim - 5th Dec, 2013 11:56 PM

(5th Dec, 2013 09:26 AM)mk01 Wrote:  @coloxim

just short info until I upload the packages (later today), but:

current XBian deb packages (and content) is fine tuned to such extend that it is possible to download download public Raspbian image and with stock config without any mods or edits you can install XBian packages (as you would install any other simple application available from raspbian / debian repo.

then you can either manually have full control over starting x-windows (with FB browser etc) or xbmc. or you can choose to have XBian set booting to X-Windows as user pi by default. then if you just re-login as user XBian, XBMC will be started. and after XBMC quit, you are again in X-Windows. of course without reboot or console fidling.

this is often requested by the users so you don't have to care about two separated systems - but if it is not suitable for you, you choose to host another system on standalone partition, drive or subvolume on XBian's btrfs filesystem. then if cmdline.txt contains "bootmenu" XBian's during early boot searches all attached drives (SD cards, sticks, USB external drives) for user boot configuration (boot netry). then it lets you to pick one and boot it.

you will find details under section Installation in few hours.

mk

OK.. thanks.. But if I use in berryboot and raspbian without startx (if I want x-windows I've to write stratx because in rasp-confing I don't want autoboot in desktop) so I'm using it from terminal(command line), can I install .deb?

If I didn't understand don't be angry, I'm not expert, and English is not my language..

Thanks

RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - mk01 - 6th Dec, 2013 02:09 AM

how you will start the programs it is solely up to you…

you flash raspbian, you configure basic things through raspi-config, then set boot to console only. you installs XBian packages and nothing extra will happen. you restart, you will se the same as before. when XBian is installed on top of raspian then XBMC is not set to autostart.

R: RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - coloxim - 6th Dec, 2013 04:16 AM

(6th Dec, 2013 02:09 AM)mk01 Wrote:  how you will start the programs it is solely up to you…

you flash raspbian, you configure basic things through raspi-config, then set boot to console only. you installs XBian packages and nothing extra will happen. you restart, you will se the same as before. when XBian is installed on top of raspian then XBMC is not set to autostart.

Ohh.... Perfect... And for update it? I've to download new .deb or can I update directly from raspberry ?

RE: [HOW-TO] Install in BerryBoot - mk01 - 6th Dec, 2013 06:50 AM

(6th Dec, 2013 04:16 AM)coloxim Wrote:  
(6th Dec, 2013 02:09 AM)mk01 Wrote:  how you will start the programs it is solely up to you…

Ohh.... Perfect... And for update it? I've to download new .deb or can I update directly from raspberry ?

you use apt-get upgrade & update, or just click update from XBMC or allow autoupdates.