Forum
[Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Additional Packages (/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) (/thread-479.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - d4m4s74 - 13th Apr, 2013 11:01 PM

(13th Apr, 2013 10:50 PM)Fred Wrote:  Maybe it helps if you change permissions for the parent folder /mnt/nas. For me the owner is xbian:xbian and the permissions are set to 755. You could also try making an extra folder if you don't want to change the settings for /mnt/nas (because this might interfere with other things you do with this nas) with these permissions and put the download folders in here (so /mnt/nas/newfolder/downloads etc.).
Seems that nzbget tries to create these folders in /mnt/nas so the permissions/ownership should be set right for this folder too.

The /mnt/nas folder is chmodded 777 and owned by nobody, (I also tried it owned by xbian:xbian)
I just tried an extra folder, doesn't work either. It seems like either my NAS (which is built into my Zyxel modem/router) is incompatible with nzbget or nzbget doesn't allow smb mounts.

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - Fred - 14th Apr, 2013 01:23 AM

Okay that's too bad. I can't come up with anything to try anymore.

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - d4m4s74 - 14th Apr, 2013 01:57 AM

ah well, sabnzbd works. I just need to stop it when watching anything.

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - zilexa - 14th Apr, 2013 02:28 AM

I have a RPi @ my place with an EXT4 usb harddrive. Everything goes smooth.
Also have an RPi at different address with NTFS and during downloading (Transmission) XBMC is slower. Would it be faster with EXFAT? ext4 is not really an option in this situation.

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - Fred - 14th Apr, 2013 03:07 AM

(3rd Apr, 2013 03:06 AM)Fred Wrote:  I also use a ntfs formatted external hdd which had very poor performance (downloading max speed at ~300 kb/s). After removing the sync flag (instructions @ https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/blob/b13291dc6703ad9fce329a2c1e0462f230694a4f/etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf ) it went up to ~1600 kb/s. Both where measured without xbmc running.

Don't know about the EXFAT but maybe you can try this if you haven't already.

@d4m4s74: I also stop nzbget when I am watching something, especially when I'm watching 1080p I can't run anything else.

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - kraleksandr - 14th Apr, 2013 03:10 AM

@zilexa
NTFS is too hard for RPi. Why u cant test exfat right now?

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - zilexa - 14th Apr, 2013 05:31 AM

Because I have 450GB of data on my 750GB NTFS harddrive Sad
would have to copy it to a backup (which I dont have, not that big) and format to exfat.

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - zilexa - 15th Apr, 2013 10:06 PM

So I am going to switch to EXT4. But it is a very time consuming process because of the devices I have. This is what I have in mind:
- copy all (its 350GB not 450GB) data to Windows laptop (which has 420GB avail)
- Use RPi (SSH) to format entire harddisk to EXT4
- connect Windows laptop with CAT5 cable to router, and set up an NFS network (not sure if NFS actually works with Win7pro)
- copy 350GB via NFS via router from Windows latop to RPi

I am not sure if the RPi can handle this.. but the alternative is: create a second partition, EXT4 on the harddisk using the RPI and copy all data from first partition (ntfs) to EXT4.. all that via SSH. But I think this will stress the I/O of the RPi more...
And also, all data will be at the end of the harddisk, so when done, I would need to format the NTFS partition to EXT4 and copy it all back again.
Really hate the fact both Win and Mac dont have good support to write to ext4!

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - kraleksandr - 15th Apr, 2013 11:44 PM

Maybe u can create second partition on ur hdd, then move part of ur data from first (ntfs) partition to second (ext4), then shrink the ntfs partition and extend the ext4 partition. Then move second part of ur data and resize them again.

oh, you've already wrote it

(15th Apr, 2013 10:06 PM)zilexa Wrote:  I am not sure if the RPi can handle this
Why not? And I think it can took less time than the first option...

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - Fred - 16th Apr, 2013 04:09 AM

I have a 1.5tb usb harddisk which was ntfs first. I first used it as a backup disk and it had about 300gb of data on it, I wanted to create a 1tb ext4 partition on it so I shrunk the ntfs partition. I did this using my laptop (ubuntu) and that took about 8 hours (high end laptop 4 years ago), so I think it will take forever on the raspberry pi. It also gives warnings that data could be lost during the operation so that's also something to take into account.

So I present to you a third option:
Install Ubuntu on your laptop (dual boot next to your windows if you want) and you will live like you have never lived before.

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - Davem - 16th Apr, 2013 04:37 AM

(15th Apr, 2013 10:06 PM)zilexa Wrote:  Really hate the fact both Win and Mac dont have good support to write to ext4!

Their is another alternative:
- Backup your data to a (windows) computer (for example NTFS).
- Format your entire external HDD to EXT3 using the Gparted live CD (this can be done on every computer, also windows)
- Install Ext2Fsd-0.51 on Windows computer (this software has write support for EXT3).
- Mount your EXT3 HDD in windows using Ext2Fsd
- Copy the data from the windows computer to the EXT3 HDD (I experienced speeds of 16,5 MB/s for series and 12,5 MB/s for music); For me this is a lot faster that a network transfer (SMB) or SFTP, where I experience speeds of maximum 6,5 MB/s;

Re: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - rikardo1979 - 16th Apr, 2013 04:40 AM

only problem is that he got laptop so I doubt there would be space for HDD..Wink
unless he have HDD docking station

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - zilexa - 16th Apr, 2013 07:35 AM

Actually Davem, that could be it. I just never considered running Ubuntu or a linux live cd on the laptop.. The laptop has a 500GB harddrive so it will be tight (only 460 actual Gigabytes). but that would be the fastest way just do everything on the laptop.

But I read Ext2Fsd has only experimental support for writing to EXT. Perhaps thats why you say EXT3 instead of 4? its better supported by Ext2Fsd?

Thanks for the tips. At least I know I am not the only one doing all this copying and partitioning. Slowly moving away from regular desktop OS systems..

Edit: I am sure Im able to find a Live CD that can read the NTFS laptop-harddrive and copy it to the ext4 formatted usbdrive. No need for ext2fsd and I can use ext4. Thats gonna be it!

More on topic: I have a very happy gf, Transmission downloads tvshows flawlessly even when XBMC is running. And Flexget automatically adds the torrents. Its great. Cant wait to receive my RPi will start building packages like crazy Smile

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - Enigmach - 16th Apr, 2013 09:38 PM

I went through the same with a 1TB disk. Best way to go was indeed a simple Linux Live CD (I used Puppy Linux) and copied the stuff around. Resizing with GParted took waaaaay too long, and using ext2fsd plugin caused all sorts of file and folder permission issues.

I also tried out the xbian packages which are working nicely, but ultimately configured it all again by myself since I wanted NZBGet 10.1 for the now supported misnamed file par-support.

RE: [Part 2] Download torrent & newsserver package(s) - CurlyMo - 16th Apr, 2013 09:49 PM

@Enigmach, if you like to update our current nzbget package feel free to do so. Instructions can be found here:
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian-deb-sources

Patches can be found here:
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian-patches