Forum
My custom remote.xml especially for your listening pleasure - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Remotes and CEC support (/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: My custom remote.xml especially for your listening pleasure (/thread-502.html)

My custom remote.xml especially for your listening pleasure - Gyuunduh - 23rd Feb, 2013 03:27 AM

I only use my Xbian with the remote control of my TV (Panasonic N2QAYB). The default remote controls are quite imperfect. When playing music and the screen saver activates, it is tricky to get to the player controls. The only way I remember to get back to control the thing is to use the coloured buttons of the remote and go for example to the video menu, open the left hand side menu to access the player controls and stop the music. If you return to the main menu when music is playing, it returns to the full screen music player, where there is no way to access the player controls etc. Also there is no way to jump forward or backwards in music, like it is possible when playing video. As I listen to recordings of radio programs that are more than an hour long, Xbian with default settings isn't really a good music player.

So I made a customized remote.xml The changes from the default I remember are:
1) The direction keys jump back- and forward when playing music. That is done with AnalogSeekBack and AnalogSeekForward, so no chance for precise jumps, but it's really better than nothing.
2) When playing music and you push ok, you get to see the player controls the same way when playing video.
3) The way the coloured buttons work is changed: Red gets you to main menu of XBMC, Green opens the Video menu, Yellow opens the Audio menu, Blue works two ways: When playing something full screen it opens the audio settings (I change the audio output quite often), otherwise it opens the File manager (I like to manage files). Especially the new function for Red button is helpful, so you have something to take you out from the full screen music player screen.

The forum doesn't allow attaching .xml files, so i use a pastebin link. On the Pi the file is located in /usr/local/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/remote.xml . Remember to take a backup first and feel free to use it as you will and make your own changes.

http://pastebin.com/rY1E6Wjy

RE: My custom remote.xml especially for your listening pleasure - CurlyMo - 23rd Feb, 2013 03:31 AM

That was the reason why your config was overwritten by the update. This file should reside in /home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/system/ We don't overwrite files in that location.

Also, can you post the output of lsusb, dmesg and cat /proc/bus/input/devices?

RE: My custom remote.xml especially for your listening pleasure - Gyuunduh - 23rd Feb, 2013 03:43 AM

(23rd Feb, 2013 03:31 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  That was the reason why your config was overwritten by the update. This file should reside in /home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/system/ We don't overwrite files in that location.

Also, can you post the output of lsusb, dmesg and cat /proc/bus/input/devices?

Oh, good to know. /home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/system/ you meant, I guess. But anyway, thanks.

lsusb:
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.

cat /proc/bus/input/devices gives nothing

dmesg:
http://pastebin.com/7ikPknGv