Forum
Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Peripherals (/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? (/thread-505.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - agent5150 - 23rd Feb, 2013 04:21 AM

Ok, so I have a slim sata blu ray dvd burner drive. I am thinking of using a external usb enclosure to hook it up to my xbian pi.

question is: will it work for:
a. playing normal dvd disc ?
b. playing bluray dvd disc ?
c. Ripping audio CDs to xbmc music library?
d. Creating audio cds from xbmc music library?

Appreciate your feedback. I am sure others are using usb based dvd drives with xbian running Pi.

RE: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - rikardo1979 - 23rd Feb, 2013 04:23 AM

i think most of those would not be simple or possible, but to make sure it would need a bit of research to reply for sure

RE: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - Koenkk - 23rd Feb, 2013 05:26 AM

A & B should be possible, I doubt about C & D.

Re: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - rikardo1979 - 23rd Feb, 2013 05:30 AM

agree, and i red somewhere on RPi or XBMC post from @Dom I think it was,that CD drives wasnt even planed to work on RPi.But can't confirm as I can't find the info right now Smile

RE: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - belese - 23rd Feb, 2013 05:36 AM

on a 'standard' xbmc, the c is possible.
but don't know for pi.

RE: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - ehowland - 4th Mar, 2013 01:54 PM

I am working on option a. I am new to Xbian. I have the original 256 Pi Model B. I am running Xbian 1.0a5. I have the MP2 codec installed but not the WVC1 codec. I have a 1 amp power connector.

I have a mouse plugged into one USB and a self powered external DVD drive in the other USB port, with the HDMI output going to a computer monitor. I can also connect to xbian using the Web interface and using ssh.

I have attached an external DVD player to the USB port. When I go to Video -> files I see the title of the DVD. If I hover over the title the large icon in the lower right shows a green DVD player. Interestingly if I use the Web remote and push the OK button or use the mouse on the Pi to left click on this title it takes me to the file browser in the root of the file system. (.., bin, boot, dev, etc, home, and so on). If I then from the file browser click on .. surprisingly it takes me back to the listing where the I see the title of the video and add Add Videos... items. The .. seems to act like the back button.

In order to try to play the video I right click on the title of the DVD then the title lettering turns orange and I get the pop up which says Play, Add to favorites, Play disc, Eject/Load, Add source. I do not know how to get here using the Web remote.

If I select Play Xbian freezes. If I select Play disc, nothing happens. So I am pretty close but not all the way.

Is this the USB problem? Should this work better? Am I missing something obvious?

The only way I have been able to get video to play is to transcode a video to MP4 and then use airplay from iTunes on my Mac. Unfortunately I have not gotten VLC or the Mac Movie player, both of which can play a DVD to use airplay. Do other people set up NAS boxes or something else?

I doubt this is the right part but in my log I have many repetitions of this.

23:06:20 T:2886460480 DEBUG: webserver: request received for /jsonrpc?Player.GetActivePlayers
23:06:20 T:2886460480 DEBUG: JSONRPC: Incoming request: {"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetActivePlayers","id":1}
23:06:20 T:2886460480 DEBUG: JSONRPC: Calling player.getactiveplayers
23:06:20 T:2958615616 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << Recorder 1 (1) -> TV (0): POLL
23:06:20 T:2958615616 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << 10
23:06:21 T:2958615616 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - command 'POLL' was not acked by the controller
23:06:21 T:2958615616 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - << 10
23:06:21 T:2886460480 DEBUG: webserver: request received for /jsonrpc?Player.GetActivePlayers
23:06:21 T:2886460480 DEBUG: JSONRPC: Incoming request: {"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"Player.GetActivePlayers","id":1}
23:06:21 T:2886460480 DEBUG: JSONRPC: Calling player.getactiveplayers
23:06:21 T:2958615616 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - command 'POLL' was not acked by the controller
23:06:21 T:2958615616 DEBUG: CecLogMessage - >> POLL not sent
(END)

Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - Koenkk - 4th Mar, 2013 05:16 PM

Can you post your full log after you tried to play it, also post it on http://www.pastebin.com instead of here.

RE: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - ehowland - 5th Mar, 2013 03:38 PM

I post the log at:
http://pastebin.com/wxYzZWNe

Today I only have the mouse and external USB DVD player plugged in (not using the html remote). After turning on debugging, this log records:

1. Reboot,
2. go to video -> files -> files
3. Right click on movie title
4. Select Play disc
5. Wait short time (longer time before was not helpful).
6. Select Play
7. Wait longer.
8. scp xbian@192.168.0.100:.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log .

One thing I noticed today was that the first two times I did this today I did see the
the working circle start up and then frieze, start up and then frieze again. I don't know how many times it did this (maybe 4-8 times) but then it stopped dead and never came to life again. I am thinking that for the posted log the working message was only active one time.

The mouse was not active after I selected Play. But even though the GUI was frozen I could scp to xbian and later logged on via ssh.

I was able to play a video (although I only watched a few minutes) that had been transcoded to an USB external hard drive, so the USB port does seem to be working, although I guess that would be at a lower bit rate.

RE: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - Koenkk - 5th Mar, 2013 11:59 PM

Seems that OMXPlayer or XBMC is hanging then. Can you try upgrading to the latests XBMC (also contains the latest OMXPlayer which contains some fixes).

Instructions: https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbmc-nightly/blob/Frodo/README.md

RE: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - ehowland - 6th Mar, 2013 01:50 PM

(5th Mar, 2013 11:59 PM)Koenkk Wrote:  Seems that OMXPlayer or XBMC is hanging then. Can you try upgrading to the latests XBMC (also contains the latest OMXPlayer which contains some fixes).

Instructions: https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbmc-nightly/blob/Frodo/README.md

Thank you for your help.

I followed the instructions on github and the upgrade seemed to go quite smoothly. Alas, no improvement. I used the same protocol as before (turn on debug, reboot, crash system, scp the log file). Again Play disc does nothing and Play hangs the user interface.

New pastebin at:
http://pastebin.com/s4XnmDtV

Just to test, I tried Play without Play disc and had the same experience.

RE: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - U-g-c - 12th Mar, 2013 08:29 PM

Hi Guys,

i have the same problem. think it could be a problem of the missing mpeg2 and vc-1 keys, but i get they and the problem is still alive. the interface hangs on by click play. what can it be? Update is done! Can i use lxbdplayer as an external addon?

Re: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - rikardo1979 - 12th Mar, 2013 10:59 PM

dont expect any progress on this any sooner if ever, that is what RPi and XBMC devs saying.this feature has such low task priorities and wasnt even planned to be working on RPi
sorry m8. but not much can be done here im afraid

Re: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - rikardo1979 - 14th Mar, 2013 01:06 AM

this says it all >
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid=1267950#pid1267950

Basically this includes all DVD/BD/CD optical drives and ISOs

RE: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - U-g-c - 14th Mar, 2013 09:19 PM

(14th Mar, 2013 01:06 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  this says it all >
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid=1267950#pid1267950

Basically this includes all DVD/BD/CD optical drives and ISOs

thats not my question... i want to play original Blu-Ray over an USB-Blu-Ray player, not a iso. I know the only way in linux is the lxbdplayer or makemkv, and i want to use it as an external add-on, or somthing else. is this possible? I dont know if it gives it on arm.

RE: Bluray dvd drive via USB... will it work ? - CurlyMo - 14th Mar, 2013 09:28 PM

Rikardo1979 said:
Quote:Basically this includes all DVD/BD/CD optical drives and ISOs