Forum
[SOLVED] Portable HDD with Powered HUB - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Peripherals (/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Portable HDD with Powered HUB (/thread-550.html)

Pages: 1 2

Portable HDD with Powered HUB - fuchini - 1st Mar, 2013 01:21 AM

Hello,

I'm using Xbian 1.0 Alpha 5 connected through HDMI, ethernet and a Rosewill powered USB Hub.

I'm having a problem with a portable HDD not being recognized under xbian. I'm connecting the drive through a powered usb hub. The portable HDD is NTFS however I've also tried formatting it in Ext4 but it won't recognize it either.

The drive works excellent in my linux and windows computer and it even works flawlessly in the same raspberry pi but using raspbian wheezy and also worked using Xbian Alpha 4.

The drive appears when I do a "lsusb" but is nowhere mounted.

What other information should I provide?

RE: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - Koenkk - 1st Mar, 2013 06:15 AM

What's the content of your /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf ?

RE: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - fuchini - 1st Mar, 2013 06:24 AM

Sorry, here are the pastebin links:

dmesg

usbmount.conf

Re: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - rikardo1979 - 1st Mar, 2013 06:32 AM

please read the rules for posting logs! check my signature and please edit your post!

RE: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - Koenkk - 1st Mar, 2013 07:45 AM

Can you try removing
Code:
/dev/sda {
    spindown_time = 60
}

/dev/sdb {
    spindown_time = 60
}

from the /etc/hdparm.conf file?

RE: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - fuchini - 1st Mar, 2013 09:06 AM

Ok, commented out those lines. Will connect my drive as soon as get home and test.

RE: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - fuchini - 1st Mar, 2013 01:40 PM

It worked! Commenting those lines in /etc/hdparm.conf did the trick

RE: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - theconomist - 28th Mar, 2013 10:55 AM

(1st Mar, 2013 01:21 AM)fuchini Wrote:  Hello,

I'm using Xbian 1.0 Alpha 5 connected through HDMI, ethernet and a Rosewill powered USB Hub.

I'm having a problem with a portable HDD not being recognized under xbian. I'm connecting the drive through a powered usb hub. The portable HDD is NTFS however I've also tried formatting it in Ext4 but it won't recognize it either.

The drive works excellent in my linux and windows computer and it even works flawlessly in the same raspberry pi but using raspbian wheezy and also worked using Xbian Alpha 4.

The drive appears when I do a "lsusb" but is nowhere mounted.

What other information should I provide?

I'm having an identical issue. Same hub, Xbian version, etc, fdisk -l recognizes the drive but it is inaccessible. When I plug in the hard drive directly rather than using the hub, it works fine. I'd like to use the hub though. I commented out the recommended lines to no avail. Any ideas?

RE: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - zilexa - 4th Apr, 2013 06:32 AM

Having the same issue with a ADATA usb drive, 1 NTFS partition. fdisk does not recognize the drive.
This is the harddisk: Adata CH11. And its connected to this HUB, from ModMyPi.

Only the RPi and the USB disk are connected to the hub. dmesg shows a mass storage USB drive is detected, but nothing else and sudo lsusb shows 3 devices, although none of them have a name I recognize as the hdd:

dmesg
Terminal
xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.

Terminal
xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 7969 MB, 7969177600 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 243200 cylinders, total 15564800 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000f06a6

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/mmcblk0p1 2048 71679 34816 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 71680 15564799 7746560 83 Linux

RE: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - zilexa - 4th Apr, 2013 08:51 PM

EDIT: removing the lines mentioned by Koenkk from etc/hdparm.conf didn't help Sad

The first time I connected the USB hdd to the hub the Pi was on and XBMC was running.. perhaps that caused some kind of issue. So I did the following: shutting down the RPi correctly (sudo shutdown now), disconnect the harddisk from the hub, boot RPi by plugging out/in the power adapter of the hub. Then shutdown again and connect the harddrive.

So that was a clean boot without hdd connected and then a boot with the harddrive connected before booting. Unfortunately same result. Any tips appreciated.

RE: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - Koenkk - 5th Apr, 2013 04:51 AM

Your HDD isn't detected at all. Can you try connecting the harddisk directly into the pi? This is either a hardware or a power related issue.

RE: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - zilexa - 5th Apr, 2013 05:26 AM

Directly to the Pi (with Pi connected to hub): I hear the harddisk ticking softly, every second. As if its getting not enough juice.

I bought two the same hubs, so I replaced the adapter+hub for the new set: now the harddisk is clearly vibrating softly, as it normally does when connected to my laptop or Netgear mediaplayer. Unfortunately fdisk and lsusb show the same result.
dmesg

Re: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - Koenkk - 5th Apr, 2013 07:19 AM

Is the usb hub connected to the lower usb port of the raspberry pi?

RE: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - zilexa - 5th Apr, 2013 04:52 PM

Yes, the lower port (closest to the chipset). Now I shutdown RPi, connected the hub to the upper port and booted, then rebooted just to be sure:
dmesg

Now, without rebooting or anything, while still connected via SSH, I move the HDD from the 2nd USB port to the 3rd USB port on the hub:
dmesg

three new lines appeared in dmesg:
[ 320.856449] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 6 using dwc_otg
[ 343.637295] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 95 using dwc_otg
[ 398.949533] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 63 using dwc_otg

Re: Portable HDD with Powered HUB - Koenkk - 5th Apr, 2013 05:15 PM

Then I'm quite sure it is either a power or a hardware problem