Forum
How to update "package updates"? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Additional Packages (/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: How to update "package updates"? (/thread-57.html)

How to update "package updates"? - mixpc - 17th Dec, 2012 11:25 AM

Hello,

Beta website
http://xbian.org/
lists package updates. How are they supposed to be updated? Fom within xbian-config via ssh? Or is it via the command...?
apt-get upgrade

Thanks!

RE: How to update "package updates"? - Koenkk - 17th Dec, 2012 05:09 PM

If you are on 1.0 alpha 2 > you can upgrade the installed packages by executing:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && upgrade

To install additional packages like the 3.6.9 you have to execute a command like this:
Code:
sudo apt-get xbian-package-kernel.3.6.9

To see all available XBian packages execute:
Code:
sudo apt-cache search xbian

RE: How to update "package updates"? - mixpc - 17th Dec, 2012 07:45 PM

Hello,

I forgot to mention, my install is Xbian 1.0 Alpha 3. Should I follow the same steps you mentioned? The goal being having the lastest XBian distro 1.0a3 with the latest packages (and so with the latest XBMC release supported by XBian)

Thanks!

And one more easy question... Must updating be incremental? I mean xbian-config reports there is an update from Kernel 3.6.7 – 1.0 to 1.1 so should I update to Kernel 3.6.7 – 1.1 and afterwards to Kernel 3.6.9 – 1.0?

Finally, I don't understand Kernel 3.2.27 – 1.2? Isn't the numbering prior to Kernerl 3.6.7? Are they different? So should it be updated too?

Thanks for helping out a Linux newcomer Wink

RE: How to update "package updates"? - CurlyMo - 17th Dec, 2012 08:25 PM

To be precise:

1) Open xbian-config and go to 'Packages', then select the package you want to upgrade/install.
2) Manually:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

*) The package is called xbian-package-kernel3.6.9 (so without the leading dot).

You can list available package by
Code:
sudo apt-cache search xbian

RE: How to update "package updates"? - mixpc - 17th Dec, 2012 09:09 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your support! So I did the updating and this is the outcome:

So Linux 3.6.9 and XBMC 12.0-RC1. Great!

One more question... xbian-config shows...

So should I install 3.2.7 packages? I understand I should not since they are previous releases. But just to be sure. What about networkfs or web packages?

Finally, how is it that Kernel 3.6.7 is displayed as installed when it was replaced/updated with 3.6.9?

Many questions, I just want to learn more and more about XBian!

RE: How to update "package updates"? - CurlyMo - 17th Dec, 2012 09:14 PM

You didn't remove an old package. Not implemented in xbian-config yet. The other packages get meaning when you need them Wink

Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

So just install the packages you 'understand'.

RE: How to update "package updates"? - mixpc - 17th Dec, 2012 09:28 PM

Thanks! Here' the output:

So not uninstalled... Not a big problem, I have a 2GB SD card but just for your info.

Regards

RE: How to update "package updates"? - CurlyMo - 17th Dec, 2012 09:32 PM

I was mistaken, you can't remove 3.6.7 because it's a dependency of the Alpha 3 update. You can remove it in Alpha 4.

RE: How to update "package updates"? - mixpc - 18th Dec, 2012 08:47 PM

Thanks, CurlyMo. One more question... I've just updated to brand new latest Kernel version 3.6.10 but don' really know how to handle this..

Quote:Removing xbian-package-kernel3.6.9 will also remove /boot/kernel.img so restore that file before rebooting!

After updating to 3.6.10 uname -a still outputs 3.6.9+

Not a big problem and maybe it'd be better to leave previous kernels installed, but just would like to learn more. Thanks for reading!

RE: How to update "package updates"? - CurlyMo - 18th Dec, 2012 08:50 PM

Reboot