Forum
Problem: USB hard dks disconnect - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Problem: USB hard dks disconnect (/thread-602.html)

Problem: USB hard dks disconnect - mp3ireland2 - 10th Mar, 2013 08:01 AM

Hi,
I am running alhpa 5 and have a usb hub (Model: HCO-32). At random times during a film it will say "Unsafe device removal" and the hard disk then unmounts and remounts. When it remounts then it always is mapped to a dferent usn port (initally 0, then 1, then 2 if it keeps happeinig). I think this just started happening in alpha 5 as I don't remeber it before ( I cam from alpha 1 or 2 up to 5 a couple of weeks back). Happens with two different hard drives, so not a hard drive issue.

Should this usb hub be able to power two hard drives? I have 2 1tb portable drives but when both are plugged in, most of the time only one of them will work.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Problem: USB hard dks disconnect - rikardo1979 - 10th Mar, 2013 09:31 AM

more likely an power issue
is your USB hub self powered ? I can't find any info

RE: Problem: USB hard dks disconnect - mp3ireland2 - 11th Mar, 2013 09:30 AM

It's the hub that comes from newit.co.uk, I ordered my pi from them and assumed that the hub they offered wold be good! It's self powered, can see what make it is though only that product number above.... although going on the website now it doesn't look like the one they are currently selling (http://newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=NLUSB2-222_4portUSBhub&cat=34) maybe they changed it as it wasn't great! You reckon I should try another hub? Do you know of any you could recommend?

MY current hub powers the pi via the usb port on the pi, just the usb plugged into usb port, nothing plugged into power input on the pi...is this normal or the sign of a cheap/dodgey hub?

RE: Problem: USB hard dks disconnect - trader007 - 13th Mar, 2013 03:03 PM

unfortunately, i would suspect the usb hub itself.

i had two days of frustrating headaches. it would work, then the usb hdd would suddenly disappear. i thought maybe the sata-usb adapter i was using was drawing too much juice from the pi, so i cut the power wires out of it and supplied them directly from my step down converter.

worked great, for 5 hours. right back to problems. so frustrating. at this point, i tried a new hdd. worked fine for about 2 minutes. i was about to freak out because every time i plugged the damn thing into my computer it popped up and worked great.

last resort, i just tried a different sata-usb adapter. same model and everything (el cheapo $3 one off ebay). bingo. much, much faster and two full days now without a single hitch and its been running 24/7. i just had a bunk adapter it looks like. or at least one that just wansnt quite right.

RE: Problem: USB hard dks disconnect - mp3ireland2 - 13th Mar, 2013 09:51 PM

(13th Mar, 2013 03:03 PM)trader007 Wrote:  unfortunately, i would suspect the usb hub itself.

i had two days of frustrating headaches. it would work, then the usb hdd would suddenly disappear. i thought maybe the sata-usb adapter i was using was drawing too much juice from the pi, so i cut the power wires out of it and supplied them directly from my step down converter.

worked great, for 5 hours. right back to problems. so frustrating. at this point, i tried a new hdd. worked fine for about 2 minutes. i was about to freak out because every time i plugged the damn thing into my computer it popped up and worked great.

last resort, i just tried a different sata-usb adapter. same model and everything (el cheapo $3 one off ebay). bingo. much, much faster and two full days now without a single hitch and its been running 24/7. i just had a bunk adapter it looks like. or at least one that just wansnt quite right.

Yeah I got a new adaptor http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001GXR6XO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 arrived this morning but has great reviews so I think it should work.

Yeah my usb hub back powered the pi which I don't think was a good sign. It didn't power two portable hard drives at a time, but not sure if most will do this? I also found the pi slow, but in my old place i'd a NAS connected to the pi via a wired connection so thought it might be just that usb is slower. Hopefully it will speed up now! was going to buy an NAS to improve speed, hopefully that won't be needed now!

A little off topic but do I have to connect the hard drives to the same port on the hub to get my movie and tv show art?

Thanks for your info

RE: Problem: USB hard dks disconnect - Skywatch - 18th Mar, 2013 08:00 AM

I get this problem too.

Have a RS supplied PSU (came with the pi), powered hub (no 5V connection between the hub and the pi).

When this happens, the USB keyboard and mouse don't come back online, they stop working.....but the HDD remounts to the next USB number available.

This happens even when not using the pi ..... Just being powered on and left alone it will do this!

Skywatch

RE: Problem: USB hard dks disconnect - Trinket - 21st Mar, 2013 11:03 PM

I had a similar problem with my Seagate 1TB USB3.0 disk.
I came to the conclusion that the problem was with the USB3.0 adapter that came with it or the power supply wasn't giving it enough amperage and it was draining it from the Raspy.
I disassembled the disk and replaced the power supply+usb3.0 adapter to an spare one i had from another HDD that had usb2.0 and now it has been working for over a week where before it struggled to reach an hour!
Maybe you could try cutting off the power cable on the usb, or attach it to a usb hub that doesn't allow current feedback.

Also i noticed something different, before when I tried to check HDD standby state with "hdparm -C /dev/sda" I always got "unknown" now, with the new adapter, i can check the current status always.