Forum
Flexget installation - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Flexget installation (/thread-634.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Flexget installation - zilexa - 18th Mar, 2013 07:33 AM

I have installed XBian Alpha5 and Transmission (using XBian Config). Now I want to install FlexGet. I am using the following method:

Install pip (required, dunnow why):
sudo apt-get install python-pip

Installing flexget:
sudo pip install flexget

FlexGet requires PIP to be installed. I have no clue about Linux.. but I wonder if there is a method to trim "PIP" down since its 63MB. Is this normal? I am just a bit afraid it will slowdown my Pi.
Is there a more "lightweight" solution to install FlexGet?

All I need is an automated (using rss), light torrent solution, no newsgroups or anything else. Transmission+Flexget is the easiest way to go. But I do want to be sure I install it correctly on the Raspberry.

RE: Flexget installation - Koenkk - 18th Mar, 2013 08:40 AM

Did you already see our download package? http://forum.xbian.org/thread-479.html

RE: Flexget installation - zilexa - 18th Mar, 2013 07:39 PM

Yes I did. Its nice you can select each item seperately. I installed Transmission using the Xbian Config.
But the package doesnt contain FlexGet.
The alternative is Sickbeard but its not that good for torrents, it was created mostly for newsgroups and all other actions required (like extracting). I want to keep my Raspberry neat and clean and not install stuff I will never use. The package is great to install transmission and also great if you use newsgroups.

For an automated torrents solution, Flexget is simple, easy and lightweight and really all I need.

I think it will work perfectly, I was just wondering if there is a way to trim it down, but perhaps its not even necessary! it seems Pip is just a tool for managing and installing Python packages so it wont be running in the background.

RE: Flexget installation - CurlyMo - 18th Mar, 2013 07:44 PM

If you can provide us with the installation and configuration steps, maybe Faaz0 can create a flexget package.

RE: Flexget installation - zilexa - 18th Mar, 2013 10:21 PM

Sounds like a plan. Will finish FlexGet this wkend (my old tv has compatibility issues via HDMI). And will post a full step by step here.
(installation, required configuration (creating a folder for the config file) and optionally the rss config file to be filled in/edited by the user (adding his/her tv shows and feeds).

RE: Flexget installation - CurlyMo - 18th Mar, 2013 10:29 PM

And you can, if you like, create an additional xbian-config module so users can easily change settings.

RE: Flexget installation - zilexa - 18th Mar, 2013 11:17 PM

not sure if I am able to do that.. dont have programming experience.. I can read code and understand it a little bit but not write it.

RE: Flexget installation - SolGarlic - 19th Mar, 2013 04:55 AM

The experimental WEB-UI in Flexget is working already?
Is it usable? (it was one of the condition for an app to be included in the package).
If not, wouldn't it be preferable to use the sickbeard branch that supports torrents more openly?

(18th Mar, 2013 07:39 PM)zilexa Wrote:  Yes I did. Its nice you can select each item seperately. I installed Transmission using the Xbian Config.
But the package doesnt contain FlexGet.
The alternative is Sickbeard but its not that good for torrents, it was created mostly for newsgroups and all other actions required (like extracting). I want to keep my Raspberry neat and clean and not install stuff I will never use. The package is great to install transmission and also great if you use newsgroups.

For an automated torrents solution, Flexget is simple, easy and lightweight and really all I need.

I think it will work perfectly, I was just wondering if there is a way to trim it down, but perhaps its not even necessary! it seems Pip is just a tool for managing and installing Python packages so it wont be running in the background.

RE: Flexget installation - zilexa - 20th Mar, 2013 11:21 PM

WEB-UI for FlexGet? I didnt even knew it existed. The goal of Transmission+Flexget is to have a very lightweight solution for automated downloads via rss. Flexget will function as rss reader/episode filter and pass the torrent/magnet to Transmission. Thats all.

As far as I know, Sickbeard is focused on newsgroups and has limited torrent support (limited to TVTorrents and EZRSS. No support for the very user friendly and easy to use ShowRSS). It does have extensive postprocessing options, but with torrents you dont need any of it.
With FlexGet you are not limited any feed. And it has very good tv show/episode filter built in. A simple textfile containing the rssfeed and names of the tv shows you want and the quality you prefer is all you need. Store the textfile on a shared location and you'll be able to edit it when needed from any computer in/outside your network.

WebUI would be nice to have, users dont need to edit the textfile themselves. But it's mostly a one-time creation and then you will only edit the file if you want to watch add a new tvshow.. so its not really necessary..

ShowRSS has a very user friendly web interface where you can add shows to your feed. Even select quality. And if you ever missed a show its also very easy to check the schedule there. You could even say you dont need to configure anything for Flexget if you use ShowRss, only add the feed url itself. But I'd like to stay in control and use multiple feeds as backupfeed so then you do need to add the names and quality of your tv shows to the textfile.

I will be working on this tonight. New to Pi so I still have to connect my harddrive and setup NFS but I suppose thats all very easy.

RE: Flexget installation - zilexa - 24th Mar, 2013 07:00 PM

(18th Mar, 2013 07:33 AM)zilexa Wrote:  I have installed XBian Alpha5 and Transmission (using XBian Config). Now I want to install FlexGet. I am using the following method:

Install pip (required, dunnow why):

Installing flexget:
sudo pip install flexget

FlexGet requires PIP to be installed. I have no clue about Linux.. but I wonder if there is a method to trim "PIP" down since its 63MB. Is this normal? I am just a bit afraid it will slowdown my Pi.
Is there a more "lightweight" solution to install FlexGet?

All I need is an automated (using rss), light torrent solution, no newsgroups or anything else. Transmission+Flexget is the easiest way to go. But I do want to be sure I install it correctly on the Raspberry.

I spend a lot of time getting xbmc fill my entire tv screen, didnt had time for flexget yet.. Now I reimaged my sd card and executed thhese commands. Unfortunately I found an issue.
When I reboot the Pi after installing Flexget, it doesnt seem to boot correctly. My tv doesnt receive any signal anymore. I am able to use ssh and xbian-config even says xbmc is running, but my tv receives no signal at all.
I tried reboot, shutdown, different hdmi cable and port no luck. How can I investigate this further?

(19th Mar, 2013 04:55 AM)SolGarlic Wrote:  The experimental WEB-UI in Flexget is working already?
Is it usable? (it was one of the condition for an app to be included in the package).
If not, wouldn't it be preferable to use the sickbeard branch that supports torrents more openly?

You mean Bricky's fork that supports ShowRSS, KaT and some others?
http://brickybox.com/2012/09/24/sickbeard-fork-feature-summary

This might be a great idea! Would it be possible to add his fork to the download package? It would save the hassle of figuring out how to install flexget without breaking xbian/xbmc boot. Although Flexget is much more robuust and open and supports any feed, would be great just to have a Pi working like a charm and then experiment with Flexget.

RE: Flexget installation - CurlyMo - 24th Mar, 2013 07:39 PM

When you manage to get flexget working, i can give to access to a XBian/Flexget fork.

RE: Flexget installation - zilexa - 25th Mar, 2013 02:56 AM

I got Flexget working!
Steps

1. install pip
Code:

2. install flexget
Code:
sudo pip install flexget

3. now create a cronjob so that flexget will run hourly, checking your rss feeds and feeding Transmission.
First run:
Code:
crontab -e

4. A textfile will open, add the following line to the bottom:
Code:
@hourly /usr/local/bin/flexget --cron

5. create a config.yml file on your shared drive, for example your USB drive. So that you can access it from your network and easily add tv shows/change settings for quality and add feeds etc.
Code:
touch /media/usbdrive/config.yml

/media/usbdrive is actually my USB harddisk, change it to the path to your drive.

6. now change the default location of the config:
Code:
flexget -c /media/usbdrive/config.yml

7. test if flexget works
Code:
flexget --test

8. done. All thats left is to fill in your config file. I will post a default file that can be used and edited to anyones personal needs.

@CurlyMo, steps 1 to 4 would be great if a package would do this automatically, so that we can install Flexget Xbian-Config.
For the other 2 steps, changing the default location of Fkexgets config.yml file to an accessible network or USB location + create an actual empty file in that location: this could be an option inside Xbian-Config where one could simply fill in the desired path for the config file. Would be great!

BUT!
I still have the issue of no HDMI signal since I installed pip and flexget (after reboot). Even though via SSH still accessible and xbian-config even says XBMC is running, my TV doesnt get a signal!
@CurlyMo or any expert could you guide me in the right direction how to investigate this further? What logfiles could I check? where is the boot config file and how should it look? Or is there a topic about this? I havent found it.

RE: Flexget installation - CurlyMo - 25th Mar, 2013 03:02 AM

@rikardo1979 is our connection expert Smile

About step 3 & 4. I would like to suggest to put it under /usr/local/etc/flexget just like the rest of the programs.

@Faaz0, can you create the deb package?

RE: Flexget installation - zilexa - 25th Mar, 2013 05:32 AM

Thats ofcourse also possible, only then the only way to add/remove tv shows and rss feeds is via SSH.

RE: Flexget installation - zilexa - 28th Mar, 2013 01:30 AM

To finish the guide above, here is the config.yml required for FlexGet. This is a very simple one and very easy to understand.

By default flexget expects to find its config.yml in its root folder. Simply create such a file there and/or use sudo nano and paste the code below.

Code:
presets:
  tv:
    series:
      exists_series:
        - /Media/TV Shows/
        - /Media/Downloads/
      hdtv <720p:
        - New Girl
        - Bones
        - Big Bang Theory
        - Grey's Anatomy
      720p:
        - Falling Skies
        - Game Of Thrones  
    transmission:
      host: localhost
      port: 9091
      username: xbian
      password: raspberry
      path: /Media/TV Shows/{{series_name}}/Season {{series_season}}

tasks:
  showrss:
    priority: 1
    rss: http://showrss.karmorra.info/rss.php?user_id=xxxxx&hd=2&proper=1
    preset: tv

Short explanation:
  • exists_series: optional. Checks if the selected episode already exists (perhaps you already added it manually and its downloading or it was manually downloaded before). And will not pass it to Transmission to download. Note: /media/ is the folder where I mounted my USB harddisk. Change this to your mountfolder.
  • hdtv <720p: here you can define any episode you would like to have in normal non-720p resolution. You can remove this if you only want 720p downloads.
  • 720p: same as above but for 720p downloads. More quality options available here.
  • transmission: here are the details for the transmission plugin.
  • path: you can enter a static path or a dynamic one like in this file.
  • tasks: here you can define any rss feed you would like to use. ShowRSS is recommended. Don't forget to replace the x's for your own user id.

Flexget and Transmission should have access to the folders listed in this config file.

Now that I know how to perform all tasks necessary to install a Raspberry (formatting, creating partitions, static mounts, install flexget etc) I would like to write a guide for Noobs so that XBian becomes more accessible. Would the wiki be the best location for this?