Forum
[PROBLEM] Can't see shared folders with Win7 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Can't see shared folders with Win7 (/thread-635.html)

Can't see shared folders with Win7 - Muertomatao - 18th Mar, 2013 07:40 PM

Hi, this is my first post, first experience with a Linux environment and 3rd day with my Raspberry Pi.

I bought it just to have a cheap and versatile way to view my movies and tv-shows on TV.

I've been for 2 days now trying to configure Xbian and it works smoothly via usb but i need it to work via ethernet.

This is the time-line of my efforts:
- Shared a folder on W7, workgroup "CASA". Couldn't see it on raspberry.
- Googled and found that Samba needs to be installed on Xbian, so i did it. At this point i could see 2 workgroups in XMBC under video -> add -> SMB:
  • Workgroup (Corresponding with smb.conf file entry)
  • CASA (W7) visible but not accesible.
- So I changed workgroup in smb.conf file to match W7's workgroup. With this change I lost all folder under video -> add -> SMB.
- Kept googling and found that sharing in W7 is not as easy as it was with XP so I configured my shared folder's permissions to all users according to several guides. That didn't fix anything so I wondered if maybe I managed to corrupt samba by editing smb.conf.
- Uninstalled and reinstalled samba and now i can see only WORKGROUP under video -> add -> SMB.

In W7 I can see Xbian but can't access it.

I just don't know what to do. Followed and searched many guides but they all do the same steps so I don't know if i'm missing something.

Any help would be much appreciated and sorry for any possible english mistake. Just not my native language.

Thx for support.

RE: Can't see shared folders with Win7 - Koenkk - 18th Mar, 2013 08:43 PM

- You don't have to install the samba package if you want to do pc -> pi.
- You need to set the name of your workgroup System -> Settings -> Services -> SMB client -> Workgroup. So in your case that should be set to "CASA"
- Also make sure the pi self isn't the problem (do this by accessing the share from a different pc).

RE: Can't see shared folders with Win7 - Muertomatao - 18th Mar, 2013 11:22 PM

Ok, will try when I arrive home from job and post results.

Thank you again!

RE: Can't see shared folders with Win7 - kraleksandr - 19th Mar, 2013 03:05 AM

By default u need only network connection between PI and PC and ur windows user account must be password-protected.
If u changed workgroup, u must change it for PI too.

RE: Can't see shared folders with Win7 - Muertomatao - 19th Mar, 2013 04:12 AM

I have password protected windows account, but it didn't work.

Now i can see both workgroups but it says "Operation denied".