Forum
[IDEA] Scheduled backups package with Rsnapshot(rsync script) - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Additional Packages (/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: [IDEA] Scheduled backups package with Rsnapshot(rsync script) (/thread-656.html)

Scheduled backups package with Rsnapshot(rsync script) - Trinket - 21st Mar, 2013 08:57 PM

I was wondering if maybe you could implement Rsnapshot as an optional package to easily configure high performance/effective backups.
Rsnapshot is an script that uses rsync to backup only the differences with hard links.
Here is the main website of the project http://www.rsnapshot.org/
I have been using it for a couple of weeks and yesterday I was able to restore my whole system (after a really inconvenient power loss when updating).
My setup is:
I backup my raspberry pi to its external hard drive with Rsnapshot, and then I use my desktop PC which runs linux to sync it to the internal hard drive via Rsync-SSH.

If it seems plausible i can give more information about the configuration required!

RE: Scheduled backups package with Rsnapshot(rsync script) - CurlyMo - 21st Mar, 2013 09:01 PM

We are planning to implement btrfs as our main FS, so backups are easily configured using snapshots.

RE: Scheduled backups package with Rsnapshot(rsync script) - Trinket - 21st Mar, 2013 09:18 PM

Great news! Thank you very much for the information.

RE: Scheduled backups package with Rsnapshot(rsync script) - kaladont - 6th May, 2013 05:59 AM

(21st Mar, 2013 09:01 PM)CurlyMo Wrote:  We are planning to implement btrfs as our main FS, so backups are easily configured using snapshots.

Will ti be in the near future? I just started to investigate how to backup my raspPI.
I run so many things on that device and so many things are configured. I would
go nuts if I would lost all that.

RE: Scheduled backups package with Rsnapshot(rsync script) - mk01 - 9th May, 2013 04:57 PM

it's already running on developers RPIs. it's question of hours, maybe days. we are in the process of finishing update-package.