Forum
Audio Engine support? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Testing & Experimental (/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Audio Engine support? (/thread-677.html)

Pages: 1 2

Audio Engine support? - obo - 26th Mar, 2013 07:13 PM

Will Audio Engine from 12.1 ever make it into the Pi version? It seems to be the only option for DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD playback.

If it's too demanding to use for all audio, could it optionally (checkbox?) just be used for full audio pass-through?

Re: Audio Engine support? - rikardo1979 - 26th Mar, 2013 08:04 PM

HD formats depends on RPi firmware and so fa this has no support and it has low priority to make it happened.
It is just needs more time

RE: Audio Engine support? - obo - 27th Mar, 2013 06:56 AM

I remember the (stalled) possibility of DTS downmixing in hardware, which would require a firmware update. Would using Audio Engine purely for pass-through still require firmware support?

If not, I might be tempted to have a hack myself. For personal use I could manage with just pass-through, but for general use it would be better to fall back to the existing sound system, if possible. If it's all a non-starter I'll wait until those who know the codebase better get to it Smile

RE: Audio Engine support? - rikardo1979 - 27th Mar, 2013 07:18 AM

DTS and DD is working, downmix or pass-through but the DTS-HD MA or True-HD is not available. This required a firmware update. To do this would required couple of weeks work of someone with access to Broadcom code

RE: Audio Engine support? - obo - 27th Mar, 2013 08:25 AM

Thanks for confirming -- I was struggling to find any details elsewhere.

RE: Audio Engine support? - Tinwarble - 8th Apr, 2013 08:22 AM

Details about DTS-HD pass-through on the RPi are here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=16821

Re: Audio Engine support? - f1vefour - 8th Apr, 2013 04:00 PM

I have a feeling that dom is about to pull a rabbit out of his hat on this one.

Re: Audio Engine support? - rikardo1979 - 8th Apr, 2013 04:42 PM

unfortunately it is not just in his(Dom's) hands.
There are mire people behind and it is required a lot of time from thus guys which they simply do not have as there are more important things to do and they are pushed to do those.As usual, time and money,thats what is all behind.
But the possibilities are there so lets hope they gonna make it one day.
As us

RE: Audio Engine support? - Tinwarble - 8th Apr, 2013 07:30 PM

(8th Apr, 2013 04:00 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  I have a feeling that dom is about to pull a rabbit out of his hat on this one.

I'm not sure were you get that impression as there hasn't been any movement on it since it was first brought up.

(8th Apr, 2013 04:42 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  As usual, time and money,thats what is all behind.

I don't think money would be as much of an issue because it seems that there are plenty of people willing to donate/pay for this to be implemented.

Re: RE: Audio Engine support? - rikardo1979 - 8th Apr, 2013 07:51 PM

(8th Apr, 2013 07:30 PM)Tinwarble Wrote:  
(8th Apr, 2013 04:00 PM)f1vefour Wrote:  I have a feeling that dom is about to pull a rabbit out of his hat on this one.

I'm not sure were you get that impression as there hasn't been any movement on it since it was first brought up.

(8th Apr, 2013 04:42 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  As usual, time and money,thats what is all behind.

I don't think money would be as much of an issue because it seems that there are plenty of people willing to donate/pay for this to be implemented.

just at the front

Quote:by dom » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:39 pm
Hardware: yes.
Software: no.

I've been hoping another customer would request it, but so far it's not been asked for.
I asked around and was quoted about a man-week to do the work (from the guy who did the standard DTS passthough).

Need to find out if RPF could justify paying him to do the work.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=16821

RE: Audio Engine support? - Tinwarble - 9th Apr, 2013 05:10 AM

Yeah, but go to the next page and you'll see:

Quote:by dom » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:54 am
We'd love to do it.
There's no one with time to do it now.
It's low priority, so is not likely to happen soon.

He also stated:

Quote:by dom » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 am
HDMI is directly controlled by GPU, so that's where the magic needs to happen.

I've been studying the code and trying to determine the differences between DTS and DTS-HD MA and have some idea of what need doing.
I'm hoping to do some experiments over Christmas (fortunately my receiver at home supports it), but it depends on the urgency of other Pi related bugs/features whether I'll be able to do it.

But it now April (it's is here anywayWink), and the last post by dom on the matter was Dec 20 2012, so I wouldn't be holding my breath for this to be implemented any time soon.

RE: Audio Engine support? - rikardo1979 - 9th Apr, 2013 05:19 AM

thats what I said, time and money. The RPiF do not go to invest money(pay the person who can implement the code into RPi Firmware). And the donation of few (even counted in 100's) is not going to change it
BTW we have this all covered, and we keep an eye on this Wink (i have red the thread few times since was opened Wink )

RE: Audio Engine support? - Tinwarble - 9th Apr, 2013 06:39 AM

(9th Apr, 2013 05:19 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  thats what I said, time and money. The RPiF do not go to invest money(pay the person who can implement the code into RPi Firmware). And the donation of few (even counted in 100's) is not going to change it

Wasn't sure which comment you were referring tooTongue

Although, I think that a few (just 100's) that would donate is probably a low-ball number. However, it might be worth while for the RPiF to put this to a poll to see if this might be worth giving it a higher priority.

Quote:(i have red the thread few times since was opened Wink )

Yeah, but if your like me you've probably slept since then.Wink

RE: Audio Engine support? - rikardo1979 - 9th Apr, 2013 06:47 AM

sure WinkI do sleep sometimes

RE: Audio Engine support? - JayBlanc - 12th Apr, 2013 10:45 PM

DTS-HD bitstreaming on the Raspi's HDMI port appears to be a legal issue rather than a development one. The DTS licensing authority say it's covered by one of their patents, and Broadcom can not allow firmware that muxes DTS-HD streams into the HDMI out without a DTS Licence.

Unlike the MPEG-LA, the DTS-LA will not offer per-user licences for DTS. This means it's very unlikely to ever happen, because the foundation will not be able to afford a DTS licence covering every board manufactured. (The likes of Nvidia can just absorb the cost so they can allow DTS-HD bitstreaming on all their desktop graphic cards.)

On a side note... Getting AudioEngine into a working state on the Raspi would be a huge benefit for people who want to use USB soundcards.