Forum
[IDEA] Maraschino Package - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Additional Packages (/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: [IDEA] Maraschino Package (/thread-694.html)

Pages: 1 2

Maraschino Package - Trinket - 28th Mar, 2013 05:36 AM

Hi, probably some of you have already checked this app, Maraschino.
It is a web server (fully contained within the package) that allows you to check services like couchpotato,sickbeard,sab,torrent within a really nice custom interface.
Here is an screen of my current setup:

The installation is straight-forward and the configuration is within the interface.
The instructions are on the project website:
http://www.maraschinoproject.com/installation

Was wondering if you could implement it as a package (If the developer has no problems with that).
Regarding CPU usage, it has not proven a problem for me. I just set it's priority really low so that it only gets cpu when nothing else needs it.

EDIT: Forgot to tell, it also has an option for remote controlling the raspberry pi. Whats awesome about it is that you can easily use any laptop's keyboard to type on the raspy, it's great for searching youtube videos.

RE: Maraschino Package - zilexa - 1st Apr, 2013 06:01 AM

I would love to see this get implemented, hope its not too heavy. Probably the people who run a downloadprogram and Maraschino dont use xbmc or have a seperate Pi for xbmc?

RE: Maraschino Package - Trinket - 1st Apr, 2013 10:19 AM

I'm running this along with sab,transmission,couch,sickbeard and xbmc. I just spent a little while setting the I/O and Cpu priority leaving Maraschino the last of it.
It's really easy to setup!

Re: Maraschino Package - BartOtten - 2nd Apr, 2013 02:29 AM

+1

Re: Maraschino Package - BartOtten - 2nd Apr, 2013 02:29 AM

Could you be so kind and add it to our issuetracker? It's at GIT

RE: Maraschino Package - Trinket - 2nd Apr, 2013 02:57 AM

No problem at all, here it is:
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/339
Hope I've done it right!

RE: Maraschino Package - zilexa - 2nd Apr, 2013 05:51 AM

Perhaps you can share how you manage to run all those apps on one Pi? Like a short how-to change i/o and cpu priority settings? XBMC and Transmission are my main apps but I am also going to install dyndns and try to run mysql for my library. Flexget runs once an hour.

RE: Maraschino Package - CurlyMo - 3rd Apr, 2013 06:50 AM

The package is ready for testing:
Code:
cd /home/xbian/
wget http://jb.xenserver.sk/xbian/xbian-package-maraschino1.0.deb
dpkg -i xbian-package-maraschino1.0.deb

RE: Maraschino Package - Trinket - 11th Apr, 2013 08:12 AM

Fixed a couple errors and pushed them to git.
@zilexa Sorry, I didn't see your commentary before! I will make a topic regarding it. I'm no expert but my raspberry is always responsive.

Re: Maraschino Package - BartOtten - 12th Apr, 2013 03:59 PM

@Trinket: tnx for helping out and gitting Smile really appreciate it!

RE: Maraschino Package - Fred - 14th Apr, 2013 03:22 AM

Is this version stable enough for use already? I would like to try it.

RE: Maraschino Package - CurlyMo - 14th Apr, 2013 03:29 AM

That's what we want to know, but if nobody is testing...

RE: Maraschino Package - Fred - 14th Apr, 2013 04:40 AM

Ok I'll give it a try.

Everything I have tried until now works so it seems stable. First impression is that its pretty cpu demanding for the raspberry. I have tried controlling XBMC with it and the response is very slow imo (while I was only running XBMC and Maraschino).
I think it has a lot to do with how it's programmed, it seems that it doesn't really have a cache policy. When I am browsing through a list of movies and check the info of a movie, the list is reloaded again when going back. This causes every action to have a huge load on the CPU.

I think this is a very great package but the waiting between every click gets anoying. Should I tweak my system better or are you experiencing the same behavior?

Also: How can I prevent it from auto starting?

RE: Maraschino Package - Trinket - 14th Apr, 2013 05:39 AM

I have been using it with no problems. It only gets demanding when using it, but that's to be expected. Is it CPU demanding while idle? If you'r only speaking about the remote control through it, yes it's slower than other methods.
You can prevent it from autostarting by executing the following command:

sudo update-rc.d maraschino remove

RE: Maraschino Package - Fred - 14th Apr, 2013 05:37 PM

Yes it is only demanding when using it. I think for controlling couchpotato,sickbeard,sab,torrent etc. it is great, but for controlling xbmc it feels to slow.