Forum
Switch xbmc and console - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Switch xbmc and console (/thread-704.html)

Switch xbmc and console - GloW - 29th Mar, 2013 06:15 AM

Hello

With a standard computer, i used to ctrl-alt-fX to switch between x server and console.

But with xbmc, i need to close it using the close button in interface before reaching the console.

So here my questions :

Is there a way, during boot time, to interrupt xbmc starting and go directly to console ?

In console, is "service xbmc start" the right way to launch xbmc ?

Is there some kind of ctrl-alt-f2 with xbmc to switch between xbmc and console ?

Is there is keyboard shortcut to close xbmc at any time (like ctrl-alt-backspace with xorg )

many thanks

RE: Switch xbmc and console - namtih - 29th Mar, 2013 06:22 PM

I can not answer all questions.

(29th Mar, 2013 06:15 AM)GloW Wrote:  In console, is "service xbmc start" the right way to launch xbmc ?

Add a "sudo" in front of it and you should be fine.

(29th Mar, 2013 06:15 AM)GloW Wrote:  Is there is keyboard shortcut to close xbmc at any time (like ctrl-alt-backspace with xorg )

You can make your own shortcut via the keymap Wink
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keymap

The built-in function should be "XBMC.Quit()".
Or you execute the xbian script like "XBMC.System.Exec("sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc stop")".

RE: Switch xbmc and console - rikardo1979 - 29th Mar, 2013 07:22 PM

(29th Mar, 2013 06:15 AM)GloW Wrote:  Is there a way, during boot time, to interrupt xbmc starting and go directly to console ?

many thanks

please have a look here Solved: How to disable XBMC launch at startup

RE: Switch xbmc and console - GloW - 31st Mar, 2013 06:32 AM

@namtih : OK, Keymap work right, thank to you.

@rikardo1979 : Yep, already seen that, however my girlfriend use xbmc, but never heard of any "console", so i need my pi to boot xbmc by default.

so far i've found 3 way to get into the console :

When i hit ctrl-C during "starting xbmc" i get to console login, but a few seconds later, xbmc start.

So i've created a script in my home wich says
sudo service xbmc stop

and i managed to login my account and execute the script, before xmbc really start and take over the keyboard input.
I talk about keyboard input because even when the terminal disappear, you still have 2 or 3 seconds to type into terminal.

So there is a workaround, but it will be nicer of there is an option during boot to cancel xbmc starting.

2. I can also just quit xmbc after it starts but it take more than one minute to get me to the terminal after i hit "quit". And that's not the point of this topic.

3. Ssh to my pi and execute service xbmc stop.

Well that's quite disturbing for me to consider a network access more easy the a local access.

So i've searched more about terminal switching with xbmc, and it appears that in some versions of xbmc , this feature is disabled, but i don't know why, and if it and how i can reconfigure it.
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/3828/ssh-or-console-in-xbian1-0alpha3

However, when xbmc is closed, ctrl alt FX do work.

So is virtual console are disabled in this version of xbmc?

RE: Switch xbmc and console - mk01 - 15th Apr, 2013 02:47 PM

(31st Mar, 2013 06:32 AM)GloW Wrote:  However, when xbmc is closed, ctrl alt FX do work.

So is virtual console are disabled in this version of xbmc?

on RPI xbmc is started in standalone mode. taking over screen by mapping virtual console to frame buffer.

you can check it with "con2fbmap #" where # is tty number [1-x]. you will be notified, that the tty is mapped to framebuffer. console 3 is mapped to framebuffer 0.

you can install and run xorg, but i'm not sure about acceleration. but in X your shortcuts will work.