Forum
[SOLVED] Wifi works, doesn't find network - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Network (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Wifi works, doesn't find network (/thread-738.html)

Pages: 1 2

Wifi works, doesn't find network - Ichalex - 4th Apr, 2013 03:15 AM

Hello there!

I just installed Xbian and updated to 2.1. I also just got an edimax wifi dongle. It works flawlessly with openelec. But Xbian does not find my network, though it finds any other network in the house. I tried entering the ssid manually, but it doesn't connect. My router is a dlink dir-600, it's encrypted with wpa-psk tkip/aes mixed and the passcode consist of numbers and letters. Please help, as I really like Xbian and don't want to switch

RE: Wifi works, doesn't find network - Koenkk - 4th Apr, 2013 03:43 AM

What's the output of (SSH into your raspberry pi and execute: http://xbian.org/getting-started/install-and-connect/#ssh )

Code:
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

RE: Wifi works, doesn't find network - Ichalex - 4th Apr, 2013 03:48 AM

It finds several networks, I can't scroll high enough in putty to see everyone of them, but I guess it's the same as in Xbian-config

RE: Wifi works, doesn't find network - CurlyMo - 4th Apr, 2013 03:49 AM

I doubt it's a OS issue but rather a network issue. The command Koenkk suggested is the core command for scanning for networks. Should be the same for OE and XBian.

RE: Wifi works, doesn't find network - Ichalex - 4th Apr, 2013 04:17 AM

Well OpenELEC connected successfully, don't know why, and I can't reproduce it. Every other wifi device works. And Xbian finds 14 different networks in the house/street but not mine? It's not that the SSID is hidden or something.

Re: RE: Wifi works, doesn't find network - f1vefour - 4th Apr, 2013 04:22 AM

(4th Apr, 2013 03:49 AM)CurlyMo Wrote:  I doubt it's a OS issue but rather a network issue. The command Koenkk suggested is the core command for scanning for networks. Should be the same for OE and XBian.

It has to be a kernel issue.

RE: Wifi works, doesn't find network - Ichalex - 4th Apr, 2013 04:54 AM

attached a screenshot from xbian-config. it seems to work, but as i said, my router won't show up

RE: Wifi works, doesn't find network - rikardo1979 - 4th Apr, 2013 05:01 AM

just a wild guess, but maybe the ssid name or lenght or special symbols ?

RE: Wifi works, doesn't find network - Ichalex - 4th Apr, 2013 05:05 AM

It works. I disabled the auto channel option on the router. I set it to channel 12, didn't work. Set it to channel 10, works. Interesting

RE: Wifi works, doesn't find network - Ichalex - 4th Apr, 2013 08:46 AM

Well it kind of loses connection pretty often, but at least I kind find my network now

Re: Wifi works, doesn't find network - f1vefour - 4th Apr, 2013 09:51 AM

If your near enough to detect 14 AP's your issue is most likely interference.

RE: Wifi works, doesn't find network - Ichalex - 4th Apr, 2013 05:45 PM

(4th Apr, 2013 09:51 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  If your near enough to detect 14 AP's your issue is most likely interference.

Well, iPad, smartphone, and 3 PCs work flawlessly. And it's definitly a software bug, as when I enter the PSK in the GUI config (not the ssh) it sometimes works, an then not.

Wifi works, doesn't find network - Koenkk - 4th Apr, 2013 05:54 PM

When connected, whats the output of
Code:
sudo iwconfig wlan0

RE: Wifi works, doesn't find network - Ichalex - 4th Apr, 2013 11:39 PM

Code:
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"dlink"  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Access Point: 28:10:7B:F1:5F:A6
          Bit Rate:150 Mb/s   Sensitivity:0/0
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:****-****-****-****-****-****-****-****   Security mode                                             :open
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=100/100  Signal level=90/100  Noise level=0/100
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

Edit: aaand it's gone. We'll not entirely, airplay still worked. but theres no internet access. but thats only an issue on the rpi, not on the other devices. here's the network status:

Edit2: I turned off my tv, and heard music over AirPlay. Then it stopped. I turned on the TV to check network status and it says busy on MAC address and Internet connection. Then I wait, and it gets a Mac adress, then it's busy again, as I'm writing this it's entirely connected again. Maybe it's because of the CEC of my tv, that sends Xbian into suspend? I know that on openelec, you can change the CEC behavior of Xbian. I will try to disable CEC and try again.

Edit3: disabled CEC, so far so good. Discovered the CEC config screen, it was set to ignore when turning of the TV. Strange. Now I enabled CEC...see how it goes

RE: Wifi works, doesn't find network - Ichalex - 5th Apr, 2013 01:30 AM

Ok, so it keeps losing the connection/being busy. For example I played a song over AirPlay, TV off (shouldn't have an impact I guess) and no power saving. Then stopped playing the song, did some other things. Then wanted to listen again, now I can select Xbian as AirPlay client but nothing happens. Checked network status: busy. No Internet.

Edit: ok, now After losing the Connection again. Airplay didn't work, connection was lost for real. Rebooted, nothing. Went to Xbian config via the gui, no networks show up at all. Trying with ssh, my Network Shows up, but connecting falls. Help! Big Grin