Forum
wifi is gone after reboot - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Network (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: wifi is gone after reboot (/thread-743.html)

wifi is gone after reboot - tina - 5th Apr, 2013 11:55 PM

Hi,
Every time I reboot Rasp. PI my wi-fi settings get lost. The" wireless key" line that I enter to /etc/network/interface manually or by running ' sudo iwconfig wlan0 key s: MY_KEY', disappears after each reboot.

I use xbian image, the wireless adapter is TP-link with WEP security.

How do I make my wi-fi settings survive the reboot?

RE: wifi is gone after reboot - Koenkk - 6th Apr, 2013 12:01 AM

Quote:thank you. I posted the question here http://forum.xbian.org/thread-743.html

XBian-config works only after ' sudo iwconfig wlan0 key s: MY_KEY' and ' sudo ifup wlan0' . XBian-config does not have on option to enter password(key), only asks for SSID.

If it doesn't ask your for a password your probably selected that it is an Open network.

RE: wifi is gone after reboot - tina - 6th Apr, 2013 12:23 AM

I select WEP. Tried now again it does let me enter password if I choose "manually" and not "scan" with xbian-config. But it does not manage to connect to the network.

I manage to connect only after adding the password from the terminal and 'ifup wlan0' till I reboot.

RE: wifi is gone after reboot - Koenkk - 6th Apr, 2013 12:55 AM

Can you try executing
Code:
sync

after the wireless network is working (this saves all changed to the disk).

Also make sure you shutdown your Pi properly, you can do this by executing
Code:
sudo halt

Now wait till the RED power LED on the raspberry pi stops burning and then replug the power.

RE: wifi is gone after reboot - tina - 6th Apr, 2013 01:31 AM

No, it did't help.

I also get this error messsage:
"Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
invalid argument "My_KEY" if I run 'ifup wlan0' without running 'sudo iwconfig wlan0 key s: MY_KEY' first.

After I run the key command, with the same key_name that error message complained about, 'ifup' works.

Sometimes after the key command the error message still appears when running 'ifup', but the command works nevertheless.

Sorry, I did not notice the last line about waiting for the red light to turn off. I am doing it now again(sync and halt).
Waiting for for almost 30min now. Should it take that long?

Re: wifi is gone after reboot - Koenkk - 6th Apr, 2013 02:30 AM

Sorry I was mistaken, the green light should stop burning instead of the red one. Also, the passphrase has to be placed between "".

RE: wifi is gone after reboot - tina - 6th Apr, 2013 02:38 AM

the "" should be seen in the 'interfeces' file too?

RE: wifi is gone after reboot - Koenkk - 6th Apr, 2013 03:15 AM

First try the sync & halt

RE: wifi is gone after reboot - tina - 6th Apr, 2013 03:19 AM

tried, it did not help.

I used "" in the sudo iwconfig wlan0 key s:"MY_KEY". It did not help, now in the complain about key_name it shows it as "key_name".

Here is my interfaces now. Maybe something is wrong here?

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wireless-essid www
wireless-key KEY_NAME

iface wlan0 inet dhcp

RE: wifi is gone after reboot - Koenkk - 6th Apr, 2013 03:28 AM

According to http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/networking/40796-wep-key-format-solved.html#6 the key needs to be hexidecimal

RE: wifi is gone after reboot - tina - 6th Apr, 2013 05:10 AM

Thank you. The problem was with the key format. I changed it to hexidecimal and even the xbian-config managed to connect to the network. And it worked after reboot as well.