Forum
Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 (/thread-759.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - tuutsie - 9th Apr, 2013 02:49 AM

Hi,

Any ideas on this problem: playback stops on certain tv-series mkv files when audio track changes from 2.0 to 5.1 after the "prevously on..." intro. Problem disappears if I disable audio passthrough by unchecking the "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver" option.

Passthrough can again be enabled if resuming playback after the point where the playback stopped.

This problem didn't happen until this latest version update.

Here is the debug log from when the playback stops:
http://pastebin.com/8eZCs6X7

Re: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - rikardo1979 - 9th Apr, 2013 03:15 AM

are you actually saying that you have two different audio tracks,2.0 at the begging of the movie which change during the playback to DD 5.1 ?

RE: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - tuutsie - 9th Apr, 2013 04:37 AM

It's one audio track but it changes from AC3, stereo, 48000Hz to AC3, 5.1, 48000hz after the intro/recap. I think it's common at least on hbo broadcasts.

RE: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - Mcavity - 10th Apr, 2013 05:11 AM

I have noticed the same thing.
previously on works fine- the the hbo logo - then dead.

RE: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - zilexa - 10th Apr, 2013 09:05 AM

I think this especially happens with Game of Thrones. I dont have the issue because I have a 2.0 setup so its always downmixed to stereo. Perhaps this only happens for people with a 5.1 setup, with specific audio settings?

Re: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - rikardo1979 - 10th Apr, 2013 05:46 PM

looks like an XBMC issue to be honest,so can you post it in XBMC git please ?

RE: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - wuschl - 10th Apr, 2013 10:19 PM

It's not only with Game of Thrones. This morning I tested LoTR: The Return of the King, which has 2 audio streams. One is French and not DTS, the other is English and DTS. Per default the movie starts with the French stream and everything is fine. When I change the stream, playback stops abruptly.

When I untick the setting "DTS capable receiver" both Game of Thrones and LoTR eng play well.

I also experience this problem since the newest updates. (Audio Fix + XBMC Frodo)

RE: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - wuschl - 12th Apr, 2013 07:12 PM

Did someone find a fix for that?

Re: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - rikardo1979 - 12th Apr, 2013 07:19 PM

once i find some file with this feature i may give it a try

RE: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - Smultie - 12th Apr, 2013 07:53 PM

Well, just download the latest Game of Thrones shows then Wink

RE: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - rikardo1979 - 14th Apr, 2013 09:31 PM

thanks to @Smultie I have tested the file with this audio feature and I can confirm the issue.
Not sure what causing it but presume it might be related either the RPi firmware or XBMC. This would need further investigation
thank for pointing this out

RE: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - mk01 - 15th Apr, 2013 12:52 PM

not only audio, I have two mkvs, where is 5.1 dts at the beginning, then changes to 6.1 dts es. movie stops. looks like frozen, no momentum, no sound. stop works.

if resume from within half, 6.1 kicks in and no issues.

RE: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - bacobart - 17th Apr, 2013 07:04 AM

I can confirm this issue, also with Game of Thrones. Disabling passthrough "(AC3/DTS capable receiver)" 'fixes' the issue, as in playback doesn't stop, but then video stutters because of performance issues.

I've updated to the latest raspberry firmware and tested with the latest xbmc nightly and this issue is still there.

By the way: playing the same file in XBMC (12.1) for Windows works fine. I have no idea about the internals of XBMC but this probably suggests the issue to be with omxplayer?

RE: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - bacobart - 18th Apr, 2013 05:24 PM

Just noticed this: I have two xbian setups, one connected to a samsung tv, the other to a philips tv and harman kardon receiver. When connected to the samsung tv and playing a file that switches audio channels (like GoT), the playback doesn't stop, but the video is scrambled for a bit (kinda like when zapping through a file). So it seems XBMC (omxplayer?) is choking on the audio switch but is able to continue. On the other setup (with philps tv/hk receiver) the playback just stops and goes back to the XBMC series list. So it seems that xbmc gets confused of the audio tracks change from stereo to 5.1, TRIES to adapt (but is kinda choking in the process), succeeds on one setup, and fails on the other. Might be because it's trying to reinitialize hardware and succeeds on one and fails on the other?

This was tested with the exact same file, streamed from the same nas with the same protocol (shared library setup).

Re: RE: Playback stops when audio changes from stereo to 5.1 - rikardo1979 - 18th Apr, 2013 05:31 PM

(18th Apr, 2013 05:24 PM)bacobart Wrote:  Just noticed this: I have two xbian setups, one connected to a samsung tv, the other to a philips tv and harman kardon receiver. When connected to the samsung tv and playing a file that switches audio channels (like GoT), the playback doesn't stop, but the video is scrambled for a bit (kinda like when zapping through a file). So it seems XBMC (omxplayer?) is choking on the audio switch but is able to continue. On the other setup (with philps tv/hk receiver) the playback just stops and goes back to the XBMC series list. So it seems that xbmc gets confused of the audio tracks change from stereo to 5.1, TRIES to adapt (but is kinda choking in the process), succeeds on one setup, and fails on the other. Might be because it's trying to reinitialize hardware and succeeds on one and fails on the other?

This was tested with the exact same file, streamed from the same nas with the same protocol (shared library setup).

do you have same Audio output settings on both?
I think you have external decoders OFF on 1st and ON with 5.1on 2nd,can you confirm?
Asking cos the issue appears only if you have multichannel audio out (above 2.0)