Forum
3D SBS with XBMC - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Others (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: 3D SBS with XBMC (/thread-761.html)

3D SBS with XBMC - Mackila - 9th Apr, 2013 05:27 AM

Hello,

I read somewhere that XBMC was able to handle 3D SBS files if the string "3DSBS" was found somewhere in the filename (I only saw it mentioned in a thread, which is strange). I tested it with xbian using a HSBS blueray and the file was recognized, but the 3D mode on my TV was not activated. Only the left image was displayed, stretched full screen. Setting the TV to 3D didn't help. I don't know if this is a problem with XBMC or XBian, but I found really few information about this. A CEA_3D hdmi mode was mentioned somewhere on a raspbmc forum and here, but tvservice says it is not a valid group on my pi.

Does anybody know what this is all about ? It would be nice to be able to handle 3D movie's automatically.

I'm using alpha 5, with XBMC 12.1.
My TV: LG LM7600
My hdmi cable is 3D-compatible

RE: 3D SBS with XBMC - Enigmach - 11th Apr, 2013 06:43 AM

Hi,

I am unsure how a regular bluray carries it's 3D information, but I have succesfully watched a SBS and Top-Bottom .mkv on an LG LM620s. An important issue for the SBS was to make sure there is little to no overscan because it was not recognized otherwise by the TV. Unfortunately the menu and subtitles will not be rendered properly, as is also mentioned in the XBMC FAQ: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_all_platforms_FAQ#3D_movies

RE: 3D SBS with XBMC - Mackila - 12th Apr, 2013 05:11 AM

(11th Apr, 2013 06:43 AM)Enigmach Wrote:  Hi,

I am unsure how a regular bluray carries it's 3D information, but I have succesfully watched a SBS and Top-Bottom .mkv on an LG LM620s. An important issue for the SBS was to make sure there is little to no overscan because it was not recognized otherwise by the TV. Unfortunately the menu and subtitles will not be rendered properly, as is also mentioned in the XBMC FAQ: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_all_platforms_FAQ#3D_movies

Hello again.

I am actually talking about regular SBS/H-SBS files, mainly MKVs, and not about bluerays. The information and procedure you mentioned in the FAQ was exactly how I expected XBMC to handle SBS files, until I came across the raspbmc post in my first comment, which specifically says that if the "3DSBS" string is found in the name of the SBS file, XBMC will automatically trigger the TV's 3D mode and render the GUI (and subtitles, but I'm not sure) in 3D. I did a bit more research and it seems it might be an OMXPlayer specific feature, which would explain why it is not really documented in the XBMC FAQs. I found an interesting post that seems to confirm this behavior.

RE: 3D SBS with XBMC - rickwookie - 9th Jun, 2013 11:57 PM

You probably worked this out for yourself by now, but as mentioned here, you need to switch xbmc resolution to 960x1080, which forces it (and your TV) into 3D side-by-side mode. Then it will play the 3D mkv (with 3DSBS in the title) correctly AND render the GUI correctly.

What would be better of course would be if xbmc would just dynamically switch to 960x1080 when playing the 3DSBS file and then back to 1920x1080 when it's not.

RE: 3D SBS with XBMC - Mackila - 11th Jun, 2013 11:26 PM

I did,
I've read in the first link in the OP that XBMC should switch the resolution automatically which would be really nice, though.

Anyway, having the 3D working with the GUI and subtitles, even manually, is really incredible as my pi never managed to play a movie with 3D ASS subtitles smoothly.

Re: 3D SBS with XBMC - rikardo1979 - 12th Jun, 2013 12:03 AM

yeah, is not the movie but the ASS subs causing the issues.The RPi can play really high bitrate,like 35mb/s video files but is that subs.But if you use srt or txt all is perfectly smooth

RE: 3D SBS with XBMC - mk01 - 15th Jun, 2013 12:58 PM

(12th Jun, 2013 12:03 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  yeah, is not the movie but the ASS subs causing the issues.The RPi can play really high bitrate,like 35mb/s video files but is that subs.But if you use srt or txt all is perfectly smooth

this is unfortunately bug in XBMC. _VERY_VERY_ old. causing shuttering with ASS subs. there is a guy which fixed this, but xbmc team didn't take it (don't know exactly why - if remember correctly, there was no believe it's a bug).

and this mr. nice guy is providing patched packages for ATV2.