Forum
External player? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: External player? (/thread-771.html)

Pages: 1 2

External player? - shades - 10th Apr, 2013 06:14 AM

HI,

The situation is I am using Bitcasa as aplace to store my media - I then map the infinate drive via SMB in Xbian and play media this way. Problem is - On larger MKV files I get quite a bit of buffering.

I have tried a few things to narrow it down.

Firstly I tried a speed test to the servers that Bitcasa use to store their data and I am getting over 100mb so that side of it isn't an issue.

Secondly I tried the same file in VLC player with an increased buffer size and got very little to no buffering at all. Which leads me to think the issue is somewhere with Xbian?

Is it possible to either increase the cache size or use an external player with Xbian?

Thanks for any help

RE: External player? - rikardo1979 - 10th Apr, 2013 06:45 AM

please read my signature and follow the guide to provide more details Wink
also add the MediInfo out of the file you trying to play

Re: External player? - f1vefour - 10th Apr, 2013 08:25 AM

Increase the cache by creating a ~/.xbian/userdata/advancedsettings.xml file with the following content:

<advancedsettings>
<network>
<cachemembuffersize>16777216</cachemembuffersize>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

To learn about the advancedsettings.xml file see this link:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=advancedsettings.xml

RE: External player? - shades - 24th Aug, 2013 09:48 PM

Hi, I am trying to do exactly the same thing and am also getting buffering issues, could anyone give me a step by step of how to create the advanced settings file and increase the buffer size..it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

RE: External player? - mk01 - 25th Aug, 2013 04:06 AM

(24th Aug, 2013 09:48 PM)shades Wrote:  Hi, I am trying to do exactly the same thing and am also getting buffering issues, could anyone give me a step by step of how to create the advanced settings file and increase the buffer size..it would be greatly appreciated.

xbian images ships with advancedsettings.xml pre-created. it's located at /home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml .

the buffer is set to 20Mb by default, which should be definitely enough.

while playing video, press "O" on keyboard (or on your remote button which provides "context-menu" in XBMC) and check whether it is really buffer under run (cpu load not hitting 100%) and buffer MB allocation going from xx to 0 (possibly with growing skipped frames number).

RE: External player? - shades - 25th Aug, 2013 05:19 AM

(25th Aug, 2013 04:06 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(24th Aug, 2013 09:48 PM)shades Wrote:  Hi, I am trying to do exactly the same thing and am also getting buffering issues, could anyone give me a step by step of how to create the advanced settings file and increase the buffer size..it would be greatly appreciated.

xbian images ships with advancedsettings.xml pre-created. it's located at /home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml .

the buffer is set to 20Mb by default, which should be definitely enough.

while playing video, press "O" on keyboard (or on your remote button which provides "context-menu" in XBMC) and check whether it is really buffer under run (cpu load not hitting 100%) and buffer MB allocation going from xx to 0 (possibly with growing skipped frames number).

I am struggling to find the advanced setting file..the only files i have are
bootcode
cmdline
config
COPYING
fixup
initramfs
kernel
licence.broadcom
start.elf
system.map
system.map-3.8.13+

help please lol

RE: External player? - mk01 - 25th Aug, 2013 05:40 AM

(25th Aug, 2013 05:19 AM)shades Wrote:  
(25th Aug, 2013 04:06 AM)mk01 Wrote:  xbian images ships with advancedsettings.xml pre-created. it's located at /home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml .

bootcode
cmdline
config

it's not at /boot. it is under user xbian home directory. log into your RPI and go to folder as already noted (my quote in bold few lines above).

RE: External player? - shades - 25th Aug, 2013 06:04 AM

(25th Aug, 2013 05:40 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(25th Aug, 2013 04:06 AM)mk01 Wrote:  xbian images ships with advancedsettings.xml pre-created. it's located at /home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml .

bootcode
cmdline
config

it's not at /boot. it is under user xbian home directory. log into your RPI and go to folder as already noted (my quote in bold few lines above).

I double click the sd card and the files that I have noted above is all I see

(25th Aug, 2013 06:04 AM)shades Wrote:  
(25th Aug, 2013 05:40 AM)mk01 Wrote:  

bootcode
cmdline
config

I double click the sd card and the files that I have noted above is all I see

do you mean log in via ssh?

RE: External player? - mk01 - 25th Aug, 2013 06:48 AM

(25th Aug, 2013 06:04 AM)shades Wrote:  do you mean log in via ssh?

yes. the folder (path) is on part of the SD CARD which your Windows / MacOS can't read.

you have to boot RPI up and login with ssh.

RE: External player? - shades - 25th Aug, 2013 07:59 AM

(25th Aug, 2013 06:48 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(25th Aug, 2013 06:04 AM)shades Wrote:  do you mean log in via ssh?

yes. the folder (path) is on part of the SD CARD which your Windows / MacOS can't read.

you have to boot RPI up and login with ssh.

It doesnt seem like increasing the buffer size is helping..I wonder if anyone has actually managed to get xbmc working with the pi without buffering

RE: External player? - mk01 - 25th Aug, 2013 08:53 AM

that's why I posted that most of the time it's not about the buffer underrun as it.

RE: External player? - shades - 25th Aug, 2013 06:48 PM

(25th Aug, 2013 08:53 AM)mk01 Wrote:  that's why I posted that most of the time it's not about the buffer underrun as it.

I Never disagreed but it was worth a shot Wink

Re: External player? - rikardo1979 - 25th Aug, 2013 06:58 PM

to my knowledge the size of buffer you referring to has no effect on local files or local streams but only internet streams.
And if you finally post some info I asked at first we may actually move somewhere Wink

Re: RE: External player? - f1vefour - 25th Aug, 2013 07:17 PM

(25th Aug, 2013 06:58 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  to my knowledge the size of buffer you referring to has no effect on local files or local streams but only internet streams.
And if you finally post some info I asked at first we may actually move somewhere Wink

Actually the buffer applies to any stream (NFS, SMB, Internet and UPnP).

RE: External player? - shades - 25th Aug, 2013 07:21 PM

(25th Aug, 2013 06:58 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  to my knowledge the size of buffer you referring to has no effect on local files or local streams but only internet streams.

I think you're getting confused with the other person who was posting in here mate..you didnt ask me for any info