Forum
After first use - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Feedback (/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: After first use (/thread-782.html)

After first use - evlo - 13th Apr, 2013 03:43 AM

Hello,

i got rasberryPi today, booted SD card with Xbian so i went ahead and tried it.
Some things are great (it actually plays 720p video and manages to decode audio to analog output), some are not, so here are my suggestions, some may be general xbmc or raspberryPi:
- make support usb soundcards or fix analog output - i have 2x20w amp (no volume control, just amp) and clicks are just terrible, also there is a LOT of hum on the background. Maybe the humming is because my Rpi is deffective?
- it is nice to have RC6 remote support by default, but it is just missing finishing touch - add mapping for [info] button to context menu, or some other unused button
- i did not found any way to stop/pause library scan (maybe because of not working context menu)
- there is only one way to make automatic library scans and it is after boot, but it does not make much sense to turn off rPi, is there some way to scan for new media by checking changes on filesystem or periodically? ... When no media is playing.
- when i play media library scan should stop - xbian is not capable of doing both at same time
- maybe there is some way to use client-server library setup like plex does, but i did not foud it
- xbian menu in settings is terribly slow, tough it does not much meter since you don't probably use it often
- it seamed to me that after reset some settings were lost (audio analog output instead of hdmi, when i opened "videos" it showed me first time wlcome again)

i think these can greatly improve experience for most user.

Is there some xbmc for rPi distribution that have usable analog audio output?

RE: After first use - rikardo1979 - 13th Apr, 2013 04:06 AM

you have not mentioned what version of XBian you installed but I presume you do not have latest as you would not have any analog audio issue Wink
this is just a quick reply in rush, may do more detailed if I find time or maybe some1 else reply to most of your questions Wink

RE: After first use - evlo - 13th Apr, 2013 04:17 AM

Well i really don't know, i got SD card with xbian on it from friend Smile. I'm trying to find out my version but i'm not successful. Is it kernel version? If i upgrade can i keep my settings and library easily?

In xbian menu it says it is up-to-date.

EDIT: i used installer to have put alfa 5 on SD card, which is latest and it still does the nasty audio pops.

RE: After first use - CurlyMo - 13th Apr, 2013 09:12 AM

(13th Apr, 2013 03:43 AM)evlo Wrote:  Hello,

i got rasberryPi today, booted SD card with Xbian so i went ahead and tried it.
Some things are great (it actually plays 720p video and manages to decode audio to analog output), some are not, so here are my suggestions, some may be general xbmc or raspberryPi:
- make support usb soundcards or fix analog output - i have 2x20w amp (no volume control, just amp) and clicks are just terrible, also there is a LOT of hum on the background. Maybe the humming is because my Rpi is deffective?
This is due to the cheap and basic analog audio implementation (which is essentially drive by PWM).

To remove the pops, install the latest firmware and xbmc version through our apt.

Quote:- it is nice to have RC6 remote support by default, but it is just missing finishing touch - add mapping for [info] button to context menu, or some other unused button
Most MCE remotes are. Can you post the output of dmesg, lsusb and cat /proc/bus/input/devices to check why it isn't working

Quote:- i did not found any way to stop/pause library scan (maybe because of not working context menu)
XBMC doesn't support that

Quote:- there is only one way to make automatic library scans and it is after boot, but it does not make much sense to turn off rPi, is there some way to scan for new media by checking changes on filesystem or periodically? ... When no media is playing.
I believe the plugin is called watchdog.

Quote:- when i play media library scan should stop - xbian is not capable of doing both at same time
@belese?

Quote:- maybe there is some way to use client-server library setup like plex does, but i did not foud it
Be the first Wink

Quote:- xbian menu in settings is terribly slow, tough it does not much meter since you don't probably use it often
@belese is working hard on fixing this.

Quote:- it seamed to me that after reset some settings were lost (audio analog output instead of hdmi, when i opened "videos" it showed me first time wlcome again)
@Koenkk?

Quote:i think these can greatly improve experience for most user.

Is there some xbmc for rPi distribution that have usable analog audio output?
Yes, XBian with the proper packages. But like i said, the RPi just doesn't have a proper analog implementation hardware wise.

Re: After first use - rikardo1979 - 13th Apr, 2013 02:34 PM

start/stop library scan is possible of course.you can find this option in contextual menu Wink