Forum
Slow netwok transfer - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Peripherals (/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Slow netwok transfer (/thread-792.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Slow netwok transfer - Skywatch - 4th Jul, 2013 05:28 AM

I got it!

Seems that it was the powered USB hub that was causing this issue. I removed it and connected the HDD directly to the pi and the network transfers went from 50-100KB/s to 3MB/s.

Thanks for all the help, I really do appreciate it!

Skywatch

RE: Slow netwok transfer - MiguelB - 23rd Jul, 2013 04:45 AM

Quote:Seems that it was the powered USB hub that was causing this issue.

Do you mean the power supply?

Quote: I removed it and connected the HDD directly to the pi and the network transfers went from 50-100KB/s to 3MB/s.

How did you removed it and connected ir "directly" to the pi?

Plus, How can i test the HDD R/W speed?
Ty

RE: Slow netwok transfer - Skywatch - 23rd Jul, 2013 06:51 AM

Hola Miguel,

The hub I was using was originally not powered. It was a cheap one (Just over a Euro) and I modified it to be powered, but powering it did not improve it. It just was not able to perform well with the pi.

When I took the HDD usb lead out of that hub and placed it into the pi's USB port the problem went away and the speed improved 30X...... Note that the USB HDD always had it's own power supply and was not powered from the hub or the pi.

Today I got a new powered USB hub to test. Will do that tomorrow.

Hope that makes more sense that way, but let me know if it is still not clear and I will try again.

skywatch

PS If you look at my profile on here (click my user name) it gives more information on the set up I am using.

RE: Slow netwok transfer - kriegmaster - 24th Sep, 2013 09:30 AM

hi everyone,
i've got the same issue than skywatch.
my rpi is connected by ethernet and the HDD is directly plug in one of the usb port of the rpi.
I don't understand why my copy speed between my pc and the raspberry is around 100Kio/s and how to improve it.
i have tested to transfert file with filezilla and winscp and both give the same results.

i'm running xbian 1.0 beta 1.1 if it might help.

RE: Slow netwok transfer - Skywatch - 25th Sep, 2013 02:14 AM

Does the HDD have it's own power adapter or is it powered from the pi's usb port via the usb cable?

skywatch

RE: Slow netwok transfer - IriDium - 25th Sep, 2013 02:39 AM

@kriegmaster You need to be precise on defining speeds KB (Bytes) or Kb (bits) also the RPi is only 10base not 100base so don't expect super speeds.

I use "nmon" and hdparm to test speeds.

RE: Slow netwok transfer - mk01 - 30th Sep, 2013 09:31 AM

(24th Sep, 2013 09:30 AM)kriegmaster Wrote:  hi everyone,
i've got the same issue than skywatch.
my rpi is connected by ethernet and the HDD is directly plug in one of the usb port of the rpi.
I don't understand why my copy speed between my pc and the raspberry is around 100Kio/s and how to improve it.

SYNC mount options used ?

if the USB is just auto-mounted, then by default this option is used by default to avoid filesystem corruption on rough remove without umount it first.