Forum
XBIAN faster than any other XBMC distro for RPI - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Feedback (/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: XBIAN faster than any other XBMC distro for RPI (/thread-800.html)

XBIAN faster than any other XBMC distro for RPI - dmantampfl - 17th Apr, 2013 03:45 AM

I tried XBian, RaspBMC and OpeneElec. I found XBian and RaspBMC perforance of menu are almost same. They are faster compared to OpeneElec. But RaspBMC takes loot of time to boot. Here is the list of items why I like XBian

1. Faster boot.
2. Smooth menu performance.
3. Easy network setup.

I will be using XBian and not planning to switch to any other distro in near future. I have the following items on my wish list

1. A better logo and tprogress bar. Current one looks good. But we could improve it.
2. Built in support for superrepo. I never succeeded in setting it up manually.
3. Custom theme for XBian.

RE: XBIAN faster than any other XBMC distro for RPI - CurlyMo - 17th Apr, 2013 03:55 AM

1) If you have better suggestions, show us Smile
2) Will be included in Beta 1
3) Is being worked on

RE: XBIAN faster than any other XBMC distro for RPI - dmantampfl - 17th Apr, 2013 03:40 PM

Sorry... there was a mistake in my previous post.

I mean "I am NOT planning to switch to any other distro in near future".

Regarding the logo and progress bar. I am not a graphic designer. But I will try my best to come with a design. Please note that the current logo is not bad. It is really good. I meant we could make it better, the way XBian is better than others.

Good to know that my other two wishes are being worked on.

Re: XBIAN faster than any other XBMC distro for RPI - BartOtten - 18th Apr, 2013 12:33 AM

@dman: point 2 true with the new way to setup SuperRepo?

http://superrepo.org/get-started/

RE: XBIAN faster than any other XBMC distro for RPI - kraleksandr - 18th Apr, 2013 11:56 PM

Nope, OpenELEC faster. OpenELEC w/o OC = XBIAN with Turbo OC.

Re: RE: XBIAN faster than any other XBMC distro for RPI - rikardo1979 - 19th Apr, 2013 12:07 AM

(18th Apr, 2013 11:56 PM)kraleksandr Wrote:  Nope, OpenELEC faster. OpenELEC w/o OC = XBIAN with Turbo OC.

never used OC higher than default XBian and all fast and smooth,like 30gb MKV 1080p DTS with average bitrate 30MB/s

RE: XBIAN faster than any other XBMC distro for RPI - dmantampfl - 25th Apr, 2013 02:46 AM

I don't use Turbo OC with XBian. All default settings. It is faster than OpenELEC. Menu is very smooth. I don't know how XBian achieved it. Even when playing a movie specially those are greater than 5 GB, it takes more time to start in OpenELEC.

RE: XBIAN faster than any other XBMC distro for RPI - IriDium - 16th Jun, 2013 12:57 AM

I've used all distros - Openelec, Raspbmc and of course Xbian.

All are great, especially as they are free and a lot of work has gone into them.

I did like Raspbmc but alas, it was a bit slow and clunky and now that there is only one developer (Sam) it seemed a loosing cause and probably wouldn't have the same development as the rest.

Openelec is fast - certainly on boot and shutdown. If it was OC to the same values as default Xbian then it probably would be faster. Xbians default config doesn't cause any excess heat (Temperatures remain normal even during 1080p DTS playback)

Why say that my car is faster if I only use half throttle. The power in the RPi is there, so why not use it?

The MAIN reason I don't use Openelec is because of it's "shutdown" nature. I can see why they have done it, but I want to be able to see what is happening in my machine, so I want to install monitoring tools (nmon, wavemon etc) and I want to be able to transfer files.

It also means I am limited in being able to install updates relevant to my and any other users problems.

So it's Xbian for me.

The latest update is brilliant, fast efficient and now capable of playing 1080p DTS movies without stutter or excessive CPU use.

A big thank you to the developers and all their hard work.

Re: XBIAN faster than any other XBMC distro for RPI - BartOtten - 19th Jun, 2013 01:48 AM

Seems we have to revert all changes since last release Wink