Forum
Port forwarding to transmission - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Network (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Port forwarding to transmission (/thread-805.html)

Port forwarding to transmission - anthonyonions - 18th Apr, 2013 06:59 AM

I'm having a bit of trouble accessing transmission externally. I've setup port forwarding on my router to the 9091 port and the pi ip address. It loads up the navigation etc but then says "Connection Failed" below it.

The external ip address of the router is in the rpc-whitelist in the settings.json. I'm able to access the pi command line via ssh externally using the same method of port forwarding.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I could try to sort this?

Thanks
Ant

It now seems to be giving the '403 - Forbidden' error, even though the rpc settings are correct.

RE: Port forwarding to transmission - Fred - 18th Apr, 2013 07:15 PM

You have to modify the settings.json when transmission is not running. I believe transmission overwrites this file every time you shutdown transmission. Don't know if you were already aware of this.

So:
Shutdown transmission.
Edit settings.json.
Start transmission and try again.

If it still doesn't work try disabling the rpc whitelist in settings.json and try again, just to make sure the problem lays here.

RE: Port forwarding to transmission - anthonyonions - 18th Apr, 2013 07:57 PM

The settings file is correct. I found the info on the overwrite when closing a while ago. I will try the disabled whitelist option. I guess if that works I can then hooefully limit access via the firewall to just my IP address so its not wide open.

rpc-whitelist-enable has been set to false and I can access it externally now. Would still be interested to see why it wasn't working with the ip address and rpc-whitelist-enable set to true.

RE: Port forwarding to transmission - Fred - 21st Apr, 2013 06:53 PM

Maybe check which IP your raspberry pi 'sees' when you try to login from an external pc. Don't know exactly how to do that but whenever I ssh into my raspberry it also shows the last logon IP, so maybe you could use that. Have you tried adding a local IP to your whitelist to see if it does work for local access?

RE: Port forwarding to transmission - anthonyonions - 22nd Apr, 2013 04:56 PM

I'll have a look and see what that comes up with. It normally identifies the device by name, rather than IP address as I have logged in from iphone/ipad/laptop before on the local network.

I will have a play around with the addresses on the local network and see if is working that way.