Forum
[PROBLEM] Xbian shutting down Rpi over time - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Xbian shutting down Rpi over time (/thread-820.html)

Xbian shutting down Rpi over time - stealthdeath - 21st Apr, 2013 10:03 AM

Hey,

Not sure which forum to put this in. But I have noticed this twice. Where Xbian and the RPi will be running fine for days on end, then it seems after a while, everything shuts down. The only light on the RPi is the red one, no others. If I unplug and plug it back in, it doesn't help until I let it sit for about an hour I find.

Not sure if this is an over heating issue? It's in a well ventilated area, in an open case and it's only set to the overclocking setting that Xbian provides.

Has this happened to anyone else?

RE: Xbian shutting down Rpi over time - namtih - 21st Apr, 2013 05:11 PM

Please try to disable the hardware Watchdog and try it again:
http://forum.xbian.org/thread-516-post-9505.html#pid9505

RE: Xbian shutting down Rpi over time - stealthdeath - 23rd Apr, 2013 01:14 AM

I added this now. Thanks for that. I also put the clock freq down to 250 as suggested in other threads. Also it says it will be in Beta.

I feel like it's more of an over heating issue than the watchdog timer. The watchdog time I can't see actually causing it to not boot up afterwards for an extended period of time. I can see an overheating issue causing this though.

Who knows, we shall see.

RE: Xbian shutting down Rpi over time - namtih - 23rd Apr, 2013 03:50 AM

You can use the following command to check the temperature. I think all below 60'C should be fine:
Terminal

sudo /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp

Re: Xbian shutting down Rpi over time - rikardo1979 - 23rd Apr, 2013 04:00 AM

RPi should run at 80°C without an problem, and I doubt that by running XBMC you ever reach 70°C or above

RE: Xbian shutting down Rpi over time - stealthdeath - 24th Apr, 2013 01:28 AM

Yea, I was kind of surprised to see it shutting down. But the only thing that (in my mind) could explain having to shut it down for about an hour, was a heat issue. Either way, we'll see if it happens in a week again (it generally happened within 3-4 days).

I will update back in a week.

RE: Xbian shutting down Rpi over time - rikardo1979 - 24th Apr, 2013 04:22 AM

in any chance you can get some infra thermo-meter? the thing what is used in shops/stores to check temp in fridges.
If you do you may check the temp on RPi so you would know if it does or doesn't overheat