Forum
video only takes a quarter of the screen - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Kodi (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: video only takes a quarter of the screen (/thread-848.html)

Pages: 1 2

video only takes a quarter of the screen - effemmeffe - 28th Apr, 2013 07:16 AM

I don't know what I did, but this evening I have the video occupying just a quarter of the screen, the top left quarter.
I tried the video calibration, but the corners of the video goes out of the screen in the center of my TV screen, I don't know how to describe it better, sorry.
Any help?

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - rikardo1979 - 28th Apr, 2013 08:31 AM

more details please, and maybe some pics how does it looks.
what is your setup, XBMC settings, config.txt settings

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - mk01 - 28th Apr, 2013 12:39 PM

this happened to me few times already as well. always the resolution in settings - system - video output was "suddenly" changed to 7xx X 4xx ... (instead of 1920x1080)

changing back resolved it always.

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - effemmeffe - 28th Apr, 2013 07:46 PM

don't know how to take screenshots.
I checked to have disable_overscan in the configuration, I searched on the forum, but nothing worked.
Then I changed the GUI resolution and set it to the same value of the video I wanted to watch: 50 fps and suddendly everything went well.
So in the end the problem is this: if I set any GUI resolution but 50 fps and I try to watch a movie at 50 fps the resolution changes at the beginning of the movie and the screen will resize to a quarter of my TV screen.

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - rikardo1979 - 28th Apr, 2013 08:21 PM

your problem lies in EDID detection which cause the issue.
To overcome this you may try change the HDMI cable(my own experience as I had a cable which wasnt cheap but caused the issue with CEC) or you can try force the HDMI mode to native resolution of your screen

you can try force EDID ignore
Code:
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080

you can also try force HDMI
Code:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

or find out details of your HDMI device and use
hdmi_group and hdmi_mode with appropriate values to force the parameters

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - effemmeffe - 28th Apr, 2013 09:15 PM

my TV don't have CEC, can this is part of the problem?

Re: video only takes a quarter of the screen - rikardo1979 - 28th Apr, 2013 10:01 PM

what screen do you have? is it a monitor or TV? what model? and are you connected via HDMI direct or do you use any HDMI>DVI connection?

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - Zormal - 20th Apr, 2014 12:53 PM

I had the same problem, after a recent apt-get upgrade:

Boot logo and loading screen are full-screen (or centered), but after XBMC loads fully, the screen resizes to this.
Output resolution shows up as 720x480 inside XBMC, but the TV reports 1080p.

I fixed it by going to Video Output settings, and changing the Resolution back to 1920 x 1080p.

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - rikardo1979 - 20th Apr, 2014 07:15 PM

did u hit " \ backslash " key on keyboard by accident maybe? "Toggle windowed mode" ?

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - mk01 - 3rd Jul, 2014 11:40 AM

btw I found a way how to disable that completely so all new packages will never do that again

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - IriDium - 3rd Jul, 2014 11:33 PM

@mk01: Was that by changing xbmc advancedsettings.xml so that it does nothing? I tried that a while ago, and whilst it did work, it did have other ramifications - all of them not good. Not too sure what they were - it was a long time ago, but severe enough for me not to continue with it.

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - mk01 - 4th Jul, 2014 01:47 AM

@Iri

no. updating system/keymaps/keyboard.xml disabling backslash

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - IriDium - 4th Jul, 2014 02:28 AM

@mk01 - OK That was what I did - sorry for the confusion. Yes it worked, but if I remember, there were issues which was why I didn't implement it nor broadcast it. Something, but can't recall. Probably trying to use tilde (~) or hash (#) which is the same (shift) key on a UK keyboard within XBMC.

If you could post the code required, or I could find it, I'll give it a test tomorrow and see if I can find out what my issue was - it would also allow others to test it.

BTW: Is the change dynamic, if so, (I guess it is not) it could be put into xbian-config as a preference.

BTW: Any idea why on Cubox-i this key puts the screen in the bottom left corner, not the top left corner as in the RPi.

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - mk01 - 4th Jul, 2014 05:40 PM

@IriDium

yes, by few accidents (and for instance default Debians having GB keyboard (GRRRRR)) I know that the nice "\" is "#" for you.

this is the patch (just added yesterday so I didn't test it at all)

https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian-package-xbmc/blob/master/patches/disable-backlsash.patch

is it the same what you did ?

and no to the other question - even I have not realised that Wink)
Code:
maybe it's because you ride on other side of the road in GB. but I refuse guessing who is right, if imx6 or rpi :))

RE: video only takes a quarter of the screen - IriDium - 4th Jul, 2014 07:35 PM

I made the change on the RPi and it does seem to work. Will have a play and see if there are any issues.

I think I used <backslash>nop</backslash> last time.