Forum
Latest stable update info on web page? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Feedback (/forum-12.html)
+---- Forum: The website (/forum-13.html)
+---- Thread: Latest stable update info on web page? (/thread-912.html)

Latest stable update info on web page? - Skywatch - 19th May, 2013 06:54 PM

Hi,

I was thinking that as things develop it's harder to work out what you need for a good recent stable installation of Xbian.

So on the main web page it would be good to have a 'stable install' table with info of the latest Xbian release, the XBMC version, firmware, kernel etc that it all goes with.

Reason is that I installed the 1a5 and 12.2, but when I do a firmware upgrade (using the hexxeh method) it breaks the install and I have to start over again.

A quick glace on the web site with all the info of what works with what would seem a good addition.....But maybe it's just me! ;-)

Skywatch

RE: Latest stable update info on web page? - rikardo1979 - 19th May, 2013 07:13 PM

this would be almost impossible to do so tbh Wink
stable is usual the latest
and if people start changing things an messing around than they should expect stability issues, non working build, broken HW, etc...
everyone who is going to mess around should know what to do and how to do and if no than they may end up with something really broken.
Also if someone change anything in core or any major change or add extras, and this cause an issue, this should never be reported as XBian or XBMC issue or bug Wink

RE: Latest stable update info on web page? - Koenkk - 19th May, 2013 07:55 PM

You shouldn't use rpi-update... (it replaces our optimized kernel)

RE: Latest stable update info on web page? - rikardo1979 - 19th May, 2013 07:56 PM

this is what I was saying, if someone messing around it should know what to do Wink

Re: RE: Latest stable update info on web page? - f1vefour - 20th May, 2013 02:13 PM

(19th May, 2013 07:55 PM)Koenkk Wrote:  You shouldn't use rpi-update... (it replaces our optimized kernel)

Well you can use it without updating the kernel with "sudo SKIP_KERNEL=1 rpi-update".

How would you recommend updating the firmware?

Latest stable update info on web page? - Koenkk - 20th May, 2013 10:06 PM

Wait for our updates is the best thing to do Wink

Re: RE: Latest stable update info on web page? - f1vefour - 21st May, 2013 06:47 AM

(20th May, 2013 10:06 PM)Koenkk Wrote:  Wait for our updates is the best thing to do Wink

I use the latest omxplayer so I must keep the firmware updated. Not bad advice though Wink

RE: Latest stable update info on web page? - mk01 - 21st May, 2013 08:05 AM

what are the nice changes / features ?

Re: RE: Latest stable update info on web page? - f1vefour - 21st May, 2013 10:11 AM

(21st May, 2013 08:05 AM)mk01 Wrote:  what are the nice changes / features ?

If you were talking to me you can see the development progression here.

RE: Latest stable update info on web page? - mk01 - 21st May, 2013 08:17 PM

(21st May, 2013 10:11 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  If you were talking to me you can see the development progression here.

yes, was directed to you, sorry Wink

I assume xbmc has omxplayer compiled in. is somehow possible to use system installed omxplayer?

so to have omxplayer and xbmc be updated separately ?

Re: RE: Latest stable update info on web page? - f1vefour - 22nd May, 2013 12:20 AM

(21st May, 2013 08:17 PM)mk01 Wrote:  
(21st May, 2013 10:11 AM)f1vefour Wrote:  If you were talking to me you can see the development progression here.

yes, was directed to you, sorry Wink

I assume xbmc has omxplayer compiled in. is somehow possible to use system installed omxplayer?

so to have omxplayer and xbmc be updated separately ?

I use omxplayer separately, for some unknown reason it is much more reliable at playing certain live rtmp streams.

No your correct, omxplayer is also built into xbmc and updated when it is. Something is different with the integrated omxplayer, even in the latest Gotham builds.

RE: Latest stable update info on web page? - rikardo1979 - 22nd May, 2013 03:18 AM

yes, standalone omxplayer is different than RPi XBMC built in

Re: RE: Latest stable update info on web page? - f1vefour - 22nd May, 2013 11:18 AM

(22nd May, 2013 03:18 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  yes, standalone omxplayer is different than RPi XBMC built in

Do you know if it's possible to use the external omxplayer instead of the internal? Currently I just pass rtmp links over ssh but it would be nice if I could use xbmc to pass the links.