Forum
Change Xbian mac address - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Network (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Change Xbian mac address (/thread-930.html)

Change Xbian mac address - Ronnie Bravo - 24th May, 2013 10:08 PM

Hi guys
Is there a way to change the Xbian system mac address?
I want to use my raspberry pi box with Xbian as an TV unscrambler and need to have specific mac address,
Thanks!

RE: Change Xbian mac address - rikardo1979 - 24th May, 2013 11:01 PM

you may have a look here Changing MAC address passed to kernel

RE: Change Xbian mac address - Ronnie Bravo - 25th May, 2013 09:46 PM

Thanks for that
Im such a linux newbie I didnt understand any of that

RE: Change Xbian mac address - belese - 25th May, 2013 10:50 PM

Don't have test it,
but according to this post
Quote:If you include
smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:59:EB:25
in your own cmdline.txt then start.elf won't set the default one.

ssh to the pi,
Terminal

sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
append this at the end of the line
smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:59:EB:25 (with your desired Mac)
ctrl + x to save
reboot

RE: Change Xbian mac address - Ronnie Bravo - 30th May, 2013 06:39 AM

Thanks for trying to help me out but it did not work. I put the "sms95xx......." line after "...splash" in the command line with the desired mac address but it failed to change it. Any other ideas? Thanks!

RE: Change Xbian mac address - mk01 - 2nd Jun, 2013 06:12 AM

what was the MAC you tried? how do you know it wasn't changed?

RE: Change Xbian mac address - Ronnie Bravo - 3rd Jun, 2013 12:42 AM

Im so sorry, it did change! I just forgot to put (Smile between the numbers. But I guess my problem is bigger than I thought, the stream works alright but only sound. I have no idea what format the broadcaster is using for the video.

that was supposed to be : not a smiley face lol

RE: Change Xbian mac address - mk01 - 3rd Jun, 2013 12:46 AM

(3rd Jun, 2013 12:42 AM)Ronnie Bravo Wrote:  Im so sorry, it did change! I just forgot to put (Smile between the numbers. But I guess my problem is bigger than I thought, the stream works alright but only sound. I have no idea what format the broadcaster is using for the video.

that was supposed to be : not a smiley face lol

if you know the link of the stream go to console (install) and start omxplayer, you will see the error on the screen.

RE: Change Xbian mac address - Ronnie Bravo - 3rd Jun, 2013 01:00 AM

If I play the stream in omxplayer it does not display an error as it´s playing the stream correctly but only with sound and a black screen.

Is it possible I need to buy an MPEG-2 licence key?

RE: Change Xbian mac address - mk01 - 3rd Jun, 2013 01:20 AM

(3rd Jun, 2013 01:00 AM)Ronnie Bravo Wrote:  If I play the stream in omxplayer it does not display an error as it´s playing the stream correctly but only with sound and a black screen.

Is it possible I need to buy an MPEG-2 licence key?

you can pass --info to omxplayer to see the info about stream. I have few medias which omxplayer plays audio only, but I get error like "codec not supported" (for instance DIVX3)

license is for unlocking acceleration in hardware. but still playable via software decode.

RE: Change Xbian mac address - Ronnie Bravo - 4th Jun, 2013 07:50 AM

how do I pass--info to omxplayer? sorry Im such a newbie it´s embarresing

RE: Change Xbian mac address - mk01 - 4th Jun, 2013 08:24 AM

(4th Jun, 2013 07:50 AM)Ronnie Bravo Wrote:  how do I pass--info to omxplayer? sorry Im such a newbie it´s embarresing

no problem. as you run omxplayer from console (as you did during the test), you just add --info parameter to command line. it should write specifications about the stream. codes bitstreams etc.

MAC Address! - SilvesterNorman - 4th Jun, 2013 05:02 PM

It has been considered that MAC address cannot be changed. But now it is possible. I have tried many software that claimed that can change the MAC address but all were fake. Finally, I got one, SpeedDemon! Now I can successfully change MAC anytime I want. Tongue

You can visit this site and see for yourself that it is possible - Change MAC Address

RE: MAC Address! - rikardo1979 - 4th Jun, 2013 09:14 PM

(4th Jun, 2013 05:02 PM)SilvesterNorman Wrote:  It has been considered that MAC address cannot be changed. But now it is possible. I have tried many software that claimed that can change the MAC address but all were fake. Finally, I got one, SpeedDemon! Now I can successfully change MAC anytime I want. Tongue

You can visit this site and see for yourself that it is possible - Change MAC Address

thanks for your post
I have merged your thread under this one as it have a same topic so I think there is no point to have separate one. In the future please try to keep the forum clean as possible
-thx-

RE: Change Xbian mac address - Ronnie Bravo - 7th Jun, 2013 09:46 PM

In conclusion to my part of this thread, the smsc95xx.macaddr.... line changed the mac address and buying the MPEG license fixed the stream problem so thanks to all you guys !