Forum
Keyboard dropping keys: the FIQ driver? - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Hardware (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Peripherals (/forum-27.html)
+--- Thread: Keyboard dropping keys: the FIQ driver? (/thread-959.html)

Keyboard dropping keys: the FIQ driver? - julon2000 - 4th Jun, 2013 10:45 PM

Hi,

I am one of those cursed with the keyboard dropping keys problems (I have a microsoft keyboard 800), and in this thread talking specifically about this keyboard I read about a new driver being developped to fix that problem (among other). According to this thread made by the author of the patch it seems very promising.

Is there any plan to include this patch in xbian in a near future?

Keyboard dropping keys: the FIQ driver? - Koenkk - 5th Jun, 2013 08:35 AM

Not yet as it seems to be unstable, however we can help you to compile that kernel yourself if you want too

RE: Keyboard dropping keys: the FIQ driver? - mk01 - 5th Jun, 2013 10:06 AM

I have at home one almost non-used from DELL. their so "called" USB standard keyboard. Based on international company wide contract for IT purchase, it's price was 5,80 EURO. Has the old fashioned keys with big KEY movement up and down and during it's able to wake up wide animals in woods few km away.

will give for free. btw: _no_dropping_keys_. Big Grin

RE: Keyboard dropping keys: the FIQ driver? - julon2000 - 5th Jun, 2013 02:04 PM

Thanks for the offer Koenkk, but I'll stick with the USB 1.1 trick for the time being. I was just curious as to wether I could drop it in a foreseeable future.

@mk01 I'm pretty sure that keyboard could be appropriately used by climbers to develop some forearm muscles. And I'm as sure that I must have ruined some long hours of ambush for a few hunters around too Big Grin Additionnaly, it costed 25€. I love Microsoft.

RE: Keyboard dropping keys: the FIQ driver? - mk01 - 5th Jun, 2013 04:38 PM

(5th Jun, 2013 02:04 PM)julon2000 Wrote:  Thanks for the offer Koenkk, but I'll stick with the USB 1.1 trick for the time being. I was just curious as to wether I could drop it in a foreseeable future.

julon, just recompile it yourself, you even don't need sources. just take the relevant .c and .h files (i'm sure is not more than two files), apply the patch on it and then recompile agains the kernel-header package as module.

it's few minutes.

RE: Keyboard dropping keys: the FIQ driver? - julon2000 - 5th Jun, 2013 11:21 PM

(5th Jun, 2013 04:38 PM)mk01 Wrote:  julon, just recompile it yourself, you even don't need sources. just take the relevant .c and .h files (i'm sure is not more than two files), apply the patch on it and then recompile agains the kernel-header package as module.

it's few minutes.

I'm reasonably comfortable with linux, but I must say my few tries in compiling the kernel ended up in the kernel not compiling, or kernel panics at boot Confused

But let's say I'd want to give it a try. What do you I need? gcc tool chain and kernel-header?

RE: Keyboard dropping keys: the FIQ driver? - mk01 - 6th Jun, 2013 02:57 AM

(5th Jun, 2013 11:21 PM)julon2000 Wrote:  I'm reasonably comfortable with linux, but I must say my few tries in compiling the kernel ended up in the kernel not compiling, or kernel panics at boot Confused

But let's say I'd want to give it a try. What do you I need? gcc tool chain and kernel-header?

comfort is important. let's do this after beta1, following days. with beta1 you will have the toolchain on one click. It is not hat hard to get it to alpha5 (some guys here managed without big issue, but expects some let's say comfort Wink a little hack things manually.

I would be happy to go through it with you step by step, but now rather I use the time with final testing of beta1. ok?

RE: Keyboard dropping keys: the FIQ driver? - julon2000 - 6th Jun, 2013 09:01 AM

(6th Jun, 2013 02:57 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(5th Jun, 2013 11:21 PM)julon2000 Wrote:  I'm reasonably comfortable with linux, but I must say my few tries in compiling the kernel ended up in the kernel not compiling, or kernel panics at boot Confused

comfort is important. let's do this after beta1, following days. with beta1 you will have the toolchain on one click. It is not hat hard to get it to alpha5 (some guys here managed without big issue, but expects some let's say comfort Wink a little hack things manually.

I would be happy to go through it with you step by step, but now rather I use the time with final testing of beta1. ok?
I'm in no hurry, that's fine for me!