Forum
[PROBLEM] Memory Card screwed - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Community (/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Uncategorized (/forum-59.html)
+--- Thread: [PROBLEM] Memory Card screwed (/thread-961.html)

Memory Card screwed - mohitathwani - 6th Jun, 2013 05:01 AM

I installed the latest alpha build of Xbian and after some time saw a fall in performance (usb devices not recognized, slow boot, etc ..) so i decided to reformat the memory card and install a stable build.

The problem is I'm not able to format the memory card on a Mac, Windows or Ubuntu.

See the screenshot from disk utility on my mac.

How can I format the card ..??

[attachment=186]

RE: Memory Card screwed - doug - 6th Jun, 2013 05:18 AM

(6th Jun, 2013 05:01 AM)mohitathwani Wrote:  How can I format the card ..??

Some people have had success using digital cameras.

Re: Memory Card screwed - rikardo1979 - 6th Jun, 2013 05:27 AM

or for Windows use tool like Panasonic SD Formater cos this dont care about partitions.
You having an issues cos you cant access the whole card.you see only the small boot FAT partition and not whole card Wink

RE: Memory Card screwed - mohitathwani - 6th Jun, 2013 05:53 AM

@doug : my canon 600d refused to format it...

@rikardo1979 : i'll try it on my friends windows tomorrow and post my update here ...

Re: Memory Card screwed - rikardo1979 - 6th Jun, 2013 05:57 AM

I know it may sounds stupid, but any chance you have accidentally lock the card with little latch on side ?
happened to me and many others many times Wink

RE: Memory Card screwed - mk01 - 6th Jun, 2013 06:07 AM

(6th Jun, 2013 05:01 AM)mohitathwani Wrote:  

I already trashed few USB keys / sd card in my life. As far as I know small MMC/SD/USB keys can't remap failed blocks like SSD disks so one is dead is dead and if the particular place is critically needed (like MBR with FAT etc) no new reformat is possible. is always like that. It works world works, than fails start, or FS gets terribly wrong and that is end of it's life.

RE: Memory Card screwed - mohitathwani - 6th Jun, 2013 06:33 AM

HAHAHA ! I've triple checked the switch ....

btw I tried this out : https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

no success Sad

Re: Memory Card screwed - rikardo1979 - 6th Jun, 2013 06:53 AM

try the one I have mentioned and if will not work than Im afraid that your card is done
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/

RE: Memory Card screwed - Skywatch - 7th Jun, 2013 06:43 AM

For windows try downloading the free version of EASEUS.

Use this to wipe both partitions on the card and then format them again. It worked for me when I had a problem with the card getting corrupted.

Hope it helps!

Skywatch

RE: Memory Card screwed - rickwookie - 15th Jun, 2013 11:39 PM

I had an issue with an SD card refusing to format to anything more than the size of the first partition (73MB) even though it was a 4GB card.

In the end I used (in Windows 7) an admin command prompt to run 'diskpart'.

This allowed my to select the disk, delete all partitions, use the 'clean' command, then (and this was the important bit for me) REMOVE AND REINSERT the card, then the card could be re-detected by diskpart as 4GB. Created a new primary partition (although not sure if this was even necessary at that stage) and then windows format worked fine formatting it back to a 4GB card.

Here's the sequence of commands:
>diskpart
DISKPART> lis dis
DISKPART> sel dis 1 [or whatever the number in the list is for your memory card]
DISKPART> lis par
DISKPART> sel par 1
DISKPART> del par
repeat last three commands for any other partitions
DISKPART> clean
REMOVE AND REINSERT THE CARD AT THIS POINT!
DISKPART> res
DISKPART> lis dis
DISKPART> sel dis 1 [or whatever the number in the list is for your memory card]
DISKPART> cre par pri