Forum
pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated - Printable Version

+- Forum (http://forum.xbian.org)
+-- Forum: Software (/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Configuration (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated (/thread-968.html)

pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated - Styler - 8th Jun, 2013 01:36 AM

Hi all

I leave my RPi switched on 24/7. It is connected to my Samsung TV via HDMI 3. If I switch off the TV and switch it back on, I see XBMC (as I last saw it) with a pop-up that says "pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated" and after about 2 seconds the TV switches to HDMI 1 (there is nothing plugged into this port). I then have to bring up the TV source menu and select HDMI 3 to view XBMC again.

This process used to work fine and the TV would not automatically switch to HDMI 1. I think the problem started after I updated to xbmc 12.2 but I can't be sure.

If I connect the RPi to HDMI 1, the problem goes away. Thing is, my TV is wall-mounted and the HDMI 1 port is on the back. I would need to buy a 90deg hdmi adaptor to use it. I don't mind doing this, but I'm sure some smart person will be able to help fix the issue via software?

Oh and one more thing. I did a sudo apt-get upgrade and got the following message:

Code:
The following packages have been kept back:
  libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-dev
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

Not sure if this is part of the issue?

Cheers
Styler

RE: pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated - rikardo1979 - 8th Jun, 2013 01:43 AM

try to edit
/home/xbian/.xbmc/userdata/peripheral_data/rpi_2708_1001.xml

Code:
<settings>
    <setting id="activate_source" value="1" />
    <setting id="cec_hdmi_port" value="1" />
    <setting id="cec_standby_screensaver" value="0" />
    <setting id="connected_device" value="36037" />
    <setting id="device_name" value="XBian" />
    <setting id="device_type" value="1" />
    <setting id="double_tap_timeout_ms" value="255" />
    <setting id="enabled" value="1" />
    <setting id="pause_playback_on_deactivate" value="1" />
    <setting id="physical_address" value="0" />
    <setting id="port" value="" />
    <setting id="send_inactive_source" value="0" />
    <setting id="standby_devices" value="231" />
    <setting id="standby_devices_advanced" value="" />
    <setting id="standby_pc_on_tv_standby" value="36028" />
    <setting id="standby_tv_on_pc_standby" value="0" />
    <setting id="tv_vendor" value="0" />
    <setting id="use_tv_menu_language" value="0" />
    <setting id="wake_devices" value="231" />
    <setting id="wake_devices_advanced" value="" />
</settings>

edit the
cec_hdmi_port" value="1"

to be honest I'm not 100% sure now but you can at least give it a try and change to 3

edit: or you might also try the whole CEC settings from within XBMC GUI or from SSH run
cec-config
and follow the onscreen messages

RE: pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated - Styler - 8th Jun, 2013 05:14 AM

(8th Jun, 2013 01:43 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  try to edit

Code:
<settings>
    <setting id="activate_source" value="1" />
    <setting id="cec_hdmi_port" value="1" />
    <setting id="cec_standby_screensaver" value="0" />
    <setting id="connected_device" value="36037" />
    <setting id="device_name" value="XBian" />
    <setting id="device_type" value="1" />
    <setting id="double_tap_timeout_ms" value="255" />
    <setting id="enabled" value="1" />
    <setting id="pause_playback_on_deactivate" value="1" />
    <setting id="physical_address" value="0" />
    <setting id="port" value="" />
    <setting id="send_inactive_source" value="0" />
    <setting id="standby_devices" value="231" />
    <setting id="standby_devices_advanced" value="" />
    <setting id="standby_pc_on_tv_standby" value="36028" />
    <setting id="standby_tv_on_pc_standby" value="0" />
    <setting id="tv_vendor" value="0" />
    <setting id="use_tv_menu_language" value="0" />
    <setting id="wake_devices" value="231" />
    <setting id="wake_devices_advanced" value="" />
</settings>

edit the
cec_hdmi_port" value="1"

to be honest I'm not 100% sure now but you can at least give it a try and change to 3

edit: or you might also try the whole CEC settings from within XBMC GUI or from SSH run
cec-config
and follow the onscreen messages

I tried your suggestion, but it unfortunately did not work. :/

I edited

cec_hdmi_port" value="1"

to read

cec_hdmi_port" value="3"

and saved the file. I then rebooted and tested it out by switching the tv off and on again. Same problem. Interestingly, I opened

and found that the cec_hdmi_port value had been reset to 1. I can't recall exactly what I did, but I saved the file and switched the tv off and on a few more times and managed to get the cec_hdmi_port value to stay 3. This however, did not solve the problem of the hdmi ports switching.

I tried cec-config, but that didn't work either. :/

This is how I see the problem:

It seems as if something is causing the RPi CEC/HDMI settings to update/change when it detects the tv switching on. This somehow drops the HDMI connection. The TV, now thinking there is nothing connected to HDMI 3, switches to the default HDMI port (HDMI 1). In the meantime, the HDMI3 connection is reestablished and is available for selection from the TV sources menu.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that is my working hypothesis for now...

RE: pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated - rikardo1979 - 8th Jun, 2013 05:32 AM

so than it looks that EDID reading is wrong from your TV (most common with Samsung, LG, and noname brands).
You will need to tweak your HDMI settings to make it suitable for your TV
read here
RPiconfig Video section

and also you may find useful this link too
R-Pi_Troubleshooting

RE: pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated - Uncle_Tubbie - 8th Jun, 2013 06:14 AM

Instead of, or before doing a sudo apt-get upgrade, maybe try sudo apt-get update

RE: pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated - mk01 - 9th Jun, 2013 02:46 AM

(8th Jun, 2013 05:32 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  so than it looks that EDID reading is wrong from your TV (most common with Samsung, LG, and noname brands).
read here
RPiconfig Video section

R-Pi_Troubleshooting

rikardo,

i was reporting to Koen lately, i'm starting to experience the same. and I didn't change my TV set nor connection scheme.

Re: RE: pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated - rikardo1979 - 9th Jun, 2013 03:06 AM

(9th Jun, 2013 02:46 AM)mk01 Wrote:  
(8th Jun, 2013 05:32 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote:  so than it looks that EDID reading is wrong from your TV (most common with Samsung, LG, and noname brands).
read here
RPiconfig Video section

R-Pi_Troubleshooting

rikardo,

i was reporting to Koen lately, i'm starting to experience the same. and I didn't change my TV set nor connection scheme.

yes, I see your point here.The problem is that this is always related to libCEC updates so if they changed or screwed something in there is not much you can do.
You can report on their git and wait for another package update and in a meanwhile try to tweak with HDMI settings in config.txt
Or try to roll back the package maybe

RE: pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated - jpwp - 18th Jun, 2013 07:49 AM

(8th Jun, 2013 01:36 AM)Styler Wrote:  I leave my RPi switched on 24/7. It is connected to my Samsung TV via HDMI 3. If I switch off the TV and switch it back on, I see XBMC (as I last saw it) with a pop-up that says "pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated" and after about 2 seconds the TV switches to HDMI 1 (there is nothing plugged into this port). I then have to bring up the TV source menu and select HDMI 3 to view XBMC again.

I just wanted to put my hand up and say I get this exact issue.

Samsung SmartTV. Leave pi on connected to HDMI3. When TV is turned on, it shows HDMI3 briefly before switching to HDMI1 (with nothing on that port!)

I then get the message "pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated".

Have you come up with any solution since your post?

Cheers,
Joel

RE: pulse-eight cec adaptor configuration updated - Skywatch - 15th Jul, 2015 05:48 AM

This happened to me today a few times with fully updated/upgraded xbian on a RPi 2.

Never happened in 2.5 years before this. Did something change?

S.