Forum

Full Version: Audio stopped working with HDMI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,
few days back all of a suddent sound stopped coming from my raspberry PI. I am running XBian Beta 1.1. I connected a second with same disk, it is still the same issue. Reinstalled xbian and copied only userdata from old disk. No change. Is it possible that cable could have damaged. I don't have any other HDMI source or cable right now to test what went wrong.

In system sessings.
Audio Ouput : HDMI
Speaker configuration : 2.0
Boost volume on downmix : Yes
Output stereo to all speakers : Yes
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable reciever : Yes
DTS capabale reciver : Yes

Contents of config.txt
======================
initramfs initramfs.gz 0x00a00000
arm_freq=840
core_freq=275
gpu_mem_256=128
gpu_mem_512=128
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0
disable_overscan=1
disable_splash=1
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
hdmi_drive=2

Thanks
Deekshit M
just a question,why do you have Dolby D and DTS enabled when you using only HDMI 2.0 ??? Guess you play sound from your TV stereo speakers so you shouldn't have those enabled
I disabled these options. I am still having no sound.
So it's not just happening to me then? Wink

I didn't report it here as I have a couple of other issues on the go, but I can confirm that I have experienced the exact same thing. One minute it's working well for days, then nothing.

The only solution is to power off the pi for 5 minutes ( and all attached equipment) and then restart it all.

I have not found any hardware issues that account for it, but unplugging the HDMI from the pi when this happens causes a strange sound from the speakers. Normally there will be a 'click' or 'clunk' sound, but when the sound has stopped it's like a whistling sound that starts high in pitch and rapily goes lower (it reminds me of a balloon quickly deflating when I hear it). Maybe a capacitor discharging on the board (or off board)???

After resetting it can be days or weeks before it happnens again.

Can you tell us more about your set up? (you can add it under your user profile to save re-typing it every time you post).

Strange....One for the X-files! Smile

Skywatch.
OK, thx to coming back
So some more questions Wink
  • how and what to is connected your RPi
    - name and model of the TV or what ever is in connection chain
    - do you use simple HDMI cable or any kind of DVI or any other specific adaptor
  • why and what fore you have all these lines in your config file
    Code:
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=16
    hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
    hdmi_drive=2
did it worked with those lines before?
(23rd Aug, 2013 05:46 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]So it's not just happening to me then? Wink

I didn't report it here as I have a couple of other issues on the go, but I can confirm that I have experienced the exact same thing. One minute it's working well for days, then nothing.

The only solution is to power off the pi for 5 minutes ( and all attached equipment) and then restart it all.

I have not found any hardware issues that account for it, but unplugging the HDMI from the pi when this happens causes a strange sound from the speakers. Normally there will be a 'click' or 'clunk' sound, but when the sound has stopped it's like a whistling sound that starts high in pitch and rapily goes lower (it reminds me of a balloon quickly deflating when I hear it). Maybe a capacitor discharging on the board (or off board)???

After resetting it can be days or weeks before it happnens again.

Can you tell us more about your set up? (you can add it under your user profile to save re-typing it every time you post).

Strange....One for the X-files! Smile

Skywatch.

strange as you said
yours looks like HW fault. But it can be any device in your connection or even the cable or a bad PSU for RPi.
I would start there, try to change the HDMI cable an if not than test the rest
(23rd Aug, 2013 05:52 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]OK, thx to coming back
So some more questions Wink
  • how and what to is connected your RPi
    - name and model of the TV or what ever is in connection chain
    - do you use simple HDMI cable or any kind of DVI or any other specific adaptor
  • why and what fore you have all these lines in your config file
    Code:
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=16
    hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
    hdmi_drive=2
did it worked with those lines before?

TV Model : Samsung 46EH5000
Cable : HDMI cable. No DVI stuff.

Yes, it worked with those lines before. I am not sure at this point if it is an issue with my TV or cable. I don't feel HDMI cable can cause problem only for audio. So, it could be either TV or my XBian setup.

Sometime back, my TV was showing only 720p resolution. This solution helped me to get 1080p. I got the solution for resolution problem from
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=21445
OK,thx for the info. Now try to remove all those hdmi_ lines and leave or add just these
Code:
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
You system should work with this

And I have not asked if you use any AV Receiver (5.1 DD or/and DTS decoder) connected to your TV over Toslink or SPDIF (Digital Optical or Coaxial output).

If Yes than your XBMC Audio output settings
Also make sure you have your TV Audio settings right, means you have to have Digital Output ON/Passthrough !!! If no than you would have your sound just from TV speakers.
Quote:Audio Ouput : HDMI
Speaker configuration : 5.1

If No than your XBMC Audio output settings
Also make sure you have your TV Audio settings right, means you have to have Digital Output OFF !!! If no than you would have no sound at all from TV speakers.
Speaker configuration : 2.0(try also 5.1 as the RPi out untouched sound stream and your TV should use built in processor to downmix the sound)
Output stereo to all speakers : (not sure, try both if you hear any difference
(23rd Aug, 2013 06:19 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]OK,thx for the info. Now try to remove all those hdmi_ lines and leave or add just these
Code:
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16

And I have not asked if you use any AV Receiver (5.1 DD or/and DTS decoder) connected to your TV over Toslink or SPDIF (Digital Optical or Coaxial output).

Also make sure you have your TV Audio settings right, means you have to have Digital Output ON/Passthrough !!! If no than you would have your sound just from TV speakers.

Also make sure you have your TV Audio settings right, means you have to have Digital Output OFF !!! If no than you would have no sound at all from TV speakers.
Speaker configuration : 2.0(try also 5.1 as the RPi out untouched sound stream and your TV should use built in processor to downmix the sound)

Thank you very much for the details. I will try all these.

I don't have any receiver connected. RPi connects directly to TV. I didn't not find any option to change HDMI audio in TV. On RPI when I run 'tvservice', it shows me that my TV supports DTS and AC3 passthorugh
OK, here should be a manual for your telly

read page 124 and make sure you dont have set the External Speaker ! You have to use TV Speaker option !
(23rd Aug, 2013 07:11 PM)dmantampfl Wrote: [ -> ]
(23rd Aug, 2013 06:19 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]OK,thx for the info. Now try to remove all those hdmi_ lines and leave or add just these
Code:
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16

Thank you very much for the details. I will try all these.

I don't have any receiver connected. RPi connects directly to TV. I didn't not find any option to change HDMI audio in TV. On RPI when I run 'tvservice', it shows me that my TV supports DTS and AC3 passthorugh
yes your telly supports both DD and DTS (where when used with internal speaker or even with extended wireless speaker connected to your TV) the DTS will be downmix to 2.0!Thats the limit of built in sound processor which can decode DD to 5.1 but 2.0 in DTS format!
So you may leave the XBMC Audio output sett to HDMI 5.1 with external decoders ON and your telly should take care and downmix all to 2.0. So its much better in your case as the RPi CPU do not need to be used to downmix the sound so it should work much smoother Wink

Hope it all make sense how I trying to explain Big Grin
Hi,
Can you please provide me the correct link for the manual. When I click on it, I get error. I don't such an option in my TV.

Thanks
DM
(23rd Aug, 2013 10:52 PM)dmantampfl Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
Can you please provide me the correct link for the manual. When I click on it, I get error. I don't such an option in my TV.

Thanks
DM

sorry for the link, this should work. You just click on Manual on right side
http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/tv-av/televisions/led-tv/UA46EH5000JXZK-support
Thank you very much for the link. My TV does not have such an option. May be a firmware upgrade is needed.

On RPi I changed the above settings. Still no audio. Looks like issue with TV ?
does your TV has the optical connector at back? If it does, and Im pretty sure it does than you have to have such option.maybe a different place in menu maybe a different name but it have to be there somewhere.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's