Forum

Full Version: New alert system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As you might have noticed, i've added an alert system to the forum.
I did this because i often loose track of topic's where i replied in, or when people mention me.

May i proudly present to you the alert system

Mentions are working like this @mk01 you have to type the fullname.
Next updates will include autocompleting the username, and more Wink.

Feedback is really appreciated.

@mk01: Is the thread title displayed when you received the alert?
we noticed. it's nice Smile

and yes, thread title is displayed.
I noticed it too.. it's good as it flags if someone has been quoted in an existing reply thats been edited.

A few times in the beta2 thread it's highlighted that an issue I've been discussing with @mk01 has been updated but usually in a previous reply of his that had already generated a reply email notification that I'd already seen, as it's the same reply but edited the forum doesn't generate an additional notification email.. (and breathe)

Email notification of an 'alert' could be a next step if you guys think it's beneficial..
And what exactly what i'm planning to do =)
Noticed something odd... the alert drop down is obscured by the banner ad..

http://postimg.org/image/49k97xiqp/

Ouch, flash banners hate that. Can't do anything because flash ignores the zindex.
(3rd Oct, 2013 08:06 PM)Dave400 Wrote: [ -> ]Noticed something odd... the alert drop down is obscured by the banner ad..

Try installing adblockplus and noscript. Say goodbye to banners.

@brantje: Sweet, just what I've been after.
sorry for the banners but we have to pay for webhost from somewhere Big Grin
@brantje In your tinkering in making the Website much better, have you, per chance, added the default 10 characters in the "Thanks" box. (It wasn't there a while ago). Whilst it's nice to see a comment, I personally don't think a users should be forced to use it - a thanks is a thanks no matter what. Least have to think up 10 characters to add. "Thanks" is only 6. So you have to think - "thanks mate". I'm sure a lot of "thanks" will be canceled for fear of having to add something or just "xxxxxxxxxxx"

I can't see what we intend to gain from it - so lets just leave it as optional.

I only came across it as I tried to thank you Blush
(4th Oct, 2013 01:37 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]@brantje In your tinkering in making the Website much better, have you, per chance, added the default 10 characters in the "Thanks" box. (It wasn't there a while ago). Whilst it's nice to see a comment, I personally don't think a users should be forced to use it - a thanks is a thanks no matter what. Least have to think up 10 characters to add. "Thanks" is only 6. So you have to think - "thanks mate". I'm sure a lot of "thanks" will be canceled for fear of having to add something or just "xxxxxxxxxxx"

I can't see what we intend to gain from it - so lets just leave it as optional.

I only came across it as I tried to thank you Blush

I'm not a fan of posting or quoting with just the word Thanks. We have an thanks button so if someone want to thank to other is much better to use that and than the user have an growing reputation so people can see who is helpful etc.. This is the way I think is best and used by most of the forums Wink
(4th Oct, 2013 01:42 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not a fan of posting or quoting with just the word Thanks. We have an thanks button so if someone want to thank to other is much better to use that and than the user have an growing reputation so people can see who is helpful etc.. This is the way I think is best and used by most of the forums Wink
Alas, most users don't think that way. In a real world. In dream heaven you get, "Rikardo1979 that was a fantastic answer, many thanks you have saved my bacon, jerky, fish stick, zucchini slice" (Delete as appropriate to your religious dude or culinary persuasion).

In "real world", you'll get nothing and if you want quality feedback 10 characters is not going to give it. Looking back at most users "thanks", most are just blanks or just "thanks" - there is no real feedback at all.

The best feedback is actually in the forum when a user replies there, not in the "thanks".

An option to delete multiple alerts would be nice - a tick box and then delete all selected.
Thankbox? you have an link to it?
A quick hack solved it i hope
(4th Oct, 2013 01:58 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]
(4th Oct, 2013 01:42 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not a fan of posting or quoting with just the word Thanks. We have an thanks button so if someone want to thank to other is much better to use that and than the user have an growing reputation so people can see who is helpful etc.. This is the way I think is best and used by most of the forums Wink
Alas, most users don't think that way. In a real world. In dream heaven you get, "Rikardo1979 that was a fantastic answer, many thanks you have saved my bacon, jerky, fish stick, zucchini slice" (Delete as appropriate to your religious dude or culinary persuasion).

In "real world", you'll get nothing and if you want quality feedback 10 characters is not going to give it. Looking back at most users "thanks", most are just blanks or just "thanks" - there is no real feedback at all.

The best feedback is actually in the forum when a user replies there, not in the "thanks".

An option to delete multiple alerts would be nice - a tick box and then delete all selected.

another and important reason why is better click Thanks instead of creating new post with word Thanks is that we reducing the amount of unnecessary posts so the searching and browsing of threads and the whole forum is much easier ;P
And if someone clicking the Thanks, it is always for exact specific post so the answer what is it thankful for is actually in that post Wink
(3rd Oct, 2013 08:29 PM)brantje Wrote: [ -> ]Ouch, flash banners hate that. Can't do anything because flash ignores the zindex.

Also happens in Safari on ios5..

I dont mind the banners, just slghtly annoying i cant see the drop down fully, 2nd and 3rd item is obscured..

Opening full alert page is ok though..
(4th Oct, 2013 04:31 AM)Dave400 Wrote: [ -> ]
(3rd Oct, 2013 08:29 PM)brantje Wrote: [ -> ]Ouch, flash banners hate that. Can't do anything because flash ignores the zindex.

Also happens in Safari on ios5..

I dont mind the banners, just slghtly annoying i cant see the drop down fully, 2nd and 3rd item is obscured..

Opening full alert page is ok though..

I have a boycot against apple, so don't expect me to fix crapple bugs Tongue
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's