Forum

Full Version: Boblight + Xbian WIN [TUTORIAL]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Guys I will be updating the walk through

I have cut the arduino out as the middle man and am now using JUST the pi
with xbian and hyperion

and may i say it is freaking impressive Big Grin

refresh rate of LEDS is epic
i can talk to them at a baud of 500,000 rather than 115200 that i was limited to on arduino (not sure if it matters but the refresh rate / shift rate when wired direct to the pi is AMAZING)

i will be posting wiring instructions / install instructions soon
(1st Jan, 2014 04:14 PM)zarboz Wrote: [ -> ]Guys I will be updating the walk through

I have cut the arduino out as the middle man and am now using JUST the pi
with xbian and hyperion

and may i say it is freaking impressive Big Grin

refresh rate of LEDS is epic
i can talk to them at a baud of 500,000 rather than 115200 that i was limited to on arduino (not sure if it matters but the refresh rate / shift rate when wired direct to the pi is AMAZING)

i will be posting wiring instructions / install instructions soon

Can't wait - got all the bits now and was about to start Smile
gyus I know ZERO about this…

just remember solutions with something like splitter on HDMI to get the signals ?

do we still need it?

Personally I still wait to buy it at Tesco stores already build, but looks like I will have to buy the leds and put it together somehow. I would kill for this invention.
(8th Jan, 2014 10:45 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]gyus I know ZERO about this…

just remember solutions with something like splitter on HDMI to get the signals ?

do we still need it?

Personally I still wait to buy it at Tesco stores already build, but looks like I will have to buy the leds and put it together somehow. I would kill for this invention.

Just waiting on Zarboz's latest diagram, but (very very) basically its:

XBian beta2
Hyperion installed on top (runs as a service in background)
a strip of LED lights round back of your TV
LED strip powered and 2 data connectors to Pi

I'm soldering and wiring mine up this weekend Smile
ok, so no any kind of data splitters (hdmi boxes) anymore ?

will you be so kind and send a link to preferably ebay what led strip to buy ?
china origin country? will not customs dpt. bother us with paying import tax? $ is not problem, but the process … brrrrrr !

I should measure what ? outer perimeter of TV a it get's fixed around from back ?
I didn't have any customs issue getting the LED's into UK. check elsewhere on ebay, you may find other suppliers that are better for you?

As for measuring, check Zarboz's 1st post. My TV will have 2x5 LED's across bottom, 9's up sides, and a 13 across top (the LED strip I bought is 1 controller chip and 2 LED's per section).

Check on the stmlabs source forum for Hyperion for info re what LED strips are supported : http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=11053
@nsviper, ach, yes. UK is not part of EURO

hm it sounded so much easier at the beginning. nevermind. I will buy what you buy. will look into the lengths, but … what screen size you will use this on ? maybe I fit as well so I will really just follow your steps Smile
Don't want to step on Zarboz's toes Smile but i'll be hopefully finishing my wiring (soldering) this weekend so will hopefully post up some pics/vids of it in action.
(10th Jan, 2014 12:50 AM)nsviper Wrote: [ -> ]Don't want to step on Zarboz's toes Smile but i'll be hopefully finishing my wiring (soldering) this weekend so will hopefully post up some pics/vids of it in action.

Certainly by all means share your results.
Zarboz, did you have to do anything re colour calibration?

http://youtu.be/OoWNSw3jHPU

{edit} never mind, tracked down the issue - looks like the LPD8806 strip I have is GRB not RGB, so a small edit to the hyperion config file and I should be good - will test later and repost results.
Yup got it working Smile

http://youtu.be/nKiUzLqe6WA
(15th Jan, 2014 05:28 AM)nsviper Wrote: [ -> ]Yup got it working Smile

http://youtu.be/nKiUzLqe6WA

Nice job. I noticed when you were playing Avatar there was no green coming through even though it was all over the screen, when you were playing Tin Tin the small green desk lamp clearly showed green...interesting.

It's certainly responsive, what is the CPU usage like?
82 LED's, about 2% for the hyperion service Smile and yeh still some calibration to finish off...the youtube video doesnt show the colours properly i don't think - to the eye it looks better.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's