Forum

Full Version: DTS (ES) audio dropout - Kernel fix.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For anyone who has encountered audio dropouts with DTS (particularly DTS (ES)), as reported here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19852

dom has posted a new firmware to fix this issue and it does, at least to the extent that I have tested with Xbian 1.0 Beta 2.7.

To update (Windows only), download the 2 files posted by dom in the last post on the 1st post.
Remove your SD Card or USB drive from your RPi, and plug it into your PC.
Open it in Explorer, then delete the 2 files, start.elf & fixup.dat.
Copy the downloaded files to your SD Card/USB drive then rename them start.elf & fixup.dat, respectively.
Safely remove it from your PC, and plug it back into your RPi.
Can you post this information to Beta 1 Ideas - thanks.
This fix worked for me : I had dropouts after upgrading to Beta 2, but installing start.elf & fixup.dat fixed it.
(21st Nov, 2013 08:01 AM)ringlord Wrote: [ -> ]This fix worked for me : I had dropouts after upgrading to Beta 2, but installing start.elf & fixup.dat fixed it.

@ringlord

what version fw reads now?

Code:
vcgencmd version
@IriDium,

I'm not sure were exactly you want me to re-post this. You're welcome to re-post this anywhere you feel it might be helpful to anyone. As it was a FW issue, it actually affects all versions, including Beta 1 & Beta 2 and earlier versions, so it might need to be posted for all releases to date.

@ringlord,

Glad this fixed the issue for you. However, just to be clear this was not a issue just with Xbian (any version) as it spanned across all OSs (OpenELEC, Raspbmc, etc.) because it was a FW issue.

Make sure you Thank dom over at the RPi forum for getting this fixed.

@mk01,

Version shows
Code:
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 162026b1448f491e97e3b3b57cdca29be6a1d61a
(21st Nov, 2013 10:35 AM)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Version shows
Code:

@Tinwarble

ok, this seems to be nov-15 release

can you grab xbian-firmware 1.4-8 from devel repo, install and recheck? this package should contain the same fw.

Code:
sudo -i
cd /tmp
wget http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-firmware/xbian-package-firmware_1.4-8_armhf.deb
dpkg -i xbian-package-firmware_1.4-8_armhf.deb
(21st Nov, 2013 12:32 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(21st Nov, 2013 10:35 AM)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Version shows
Code:

@Tinwarble

ok, this seems to be nov-15 release

can you grab xbian-firmware 1.4-8 from devel repo, install and recheck? this package should contain the same fw.

Code:
sudo -i
cd /tmp
wget http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-firmware/xbian-package-firmware_1.4-8_armhf.deb
dpkg -i xbian-package-firmware_1.4-8_armhf.deb

@mk01,

Yes appears to be the same.

Before installing the devel repo

Code:
Nov 15 2013 14:13:47
version 162026b1448f491e97e3b3b57cdca29be6a1d61a (tainted) (release)

After

Code:
root@xbian:/tmp# wget http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-firmware/xbian-package-firmware_1.4-8_armhf.deb
--2013-11-21 02:52:54--  http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-firmware/xbian-package-firmware_1.4-8_armhf.deb
Resolving xbian.brantje.com (xbian.brantje.com)... 188.142.48.93
Connecting to xbian.brantje.com (xbian.brantje.com)|188.142.48.93|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 3170104 (3.0M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: `xbian-package-firmware_1.4-8_armhf.deb'

100%[======================================>] 3,170,104    649K/s   in 5.1s

2013-11-21 02:53:14 (604 KB/s) - `xbian-package-firmware_1.4-8_armhf.deb' saved [3170104/3170104]

root@xbian:/tmp# dpkg -i xbian-package-firmware_1.4-8_armhf.deb
(Reading database ... 31182 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace xbian-package-firmware 1.4-7 (using xbian-package-firmware_1.4-8_armhf.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbian-package-firmware ...
Setting up xbian-package-firmware (1.4-8) ...

root@xbian:/tmp# vcgencmd version
Nov 15 2013 14:13:47
version 162026b1448f491e97e3b3b57cdca29be6a1d61a (tainted) (release)
I have applied this firmware and the dropouts are solved now.
But i have now another problem, i can watch 1 episode en if i want to watch another then the sound is only noise.
Does somebody know what this can be?
(26th Nov, 2013 06:41 PM)TheMystery Wrote: [ -> ]I have applied this firmware and the dropouts are solved now.
But i have now another problem, i can watch 1 episode en if i want to watch another then the sound is only noise.
Does somebody know what this can be?

can you be more precise in your issue description? the way you described it says nothing, how did you play next one, where is stored, no details about the file(use MediaInfo software), does the same file plays fine when is played first and not as following, also more details about your system, your setup???? to many questions
Please read the Rules how to proper post an issue and report all necessary details, link in my signature and all over the forum!

Also this would need a new thread to be opened as this is designated to other specific matter, so if you search and will not find your issue discussed elsewhere than feel free to open new one.
-thx-
I run xbian 1 beta 2 clean install with the new firmware files, database on my synology nas system files also (only mkv) with an nfs share.

with the old firmware i had audio drop outs but i could play all files after each other.

with the new firmware i can play one file good, but the next file the audio is only noise.
if i reboot the same file is working good. so looks like is has something to do with the firmware files.
so my question if more people have this with these firmware files?
@TheMystery

how did it work with default beta2 install?

anytime you can try update, currently there is one from today (Dec-1-2013). it is in devel repo as version 1.4-9, you can install this with
Code:
sudo -i
cd /tmp
wget http://xbian.brantje.com/pool/devel/main/x/xbian-package-firmware/xbian-package-firmware_1.4-9_armhf.deb
dpkg -i xbian-package-firmware_1.4-9_armhf.deb
With default beta2 i had no noise only dropouts in dts.

I have tried the firmware from 1 dec, I did a quick test started 10 files and 1 file had noise so its better.
I will test a few days, than i can say more about it.
I have tested a bit longer but the noise problem is still there with this firmware.
Iám going back to default beta2.
I'm suspicious that all this issues might be caued by interference or some voltage issues on RPi HDMI output. So it might be related to the actual batch of RPis and not others. Not easy to diagnose and also you would need more RPis to compare and to test.
Would like to see someone could do this and report the findings on HDMI outs
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's