Forum

Full Version: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
In cmdline?
Sorry...forgive me...but is really hard follow you for me..

;(

I'll repeat all from the first point.. can you tell me what I've not to do and when, please? If it's possible...

Wink
Ok, will not shorten the informations anymore.

initramfs if is needed needs to be part of /boot/config.txt file as firmware is loading this information or data into memory. the text inside code box is usual config.txt including initramfs definition.

Code:
initramfs initramfs.gz  0x00a00000
gpu_mem_256=128
gpu_mem_512=128
arm_freq=840
core_freq=275
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0

also file named initrmfs.gz should be present in /boot and with the .debs you installed its size should be ~6115k (6Mb). kernel.img ~2500k. then cmdline.txt holding kernel command line parameters - all in ONE line - and should look similar to raspbians , but with the two changes (rootfstype=btrfs and rootflags=subvol=root/@ - rootflags are bit longer but this is essential information to boot system later and start conversion now).

if you remove "quiet" "loglevel=0" from cmdline.txt you should see text rolling on the screen right after you start RPI. this can be important even if we don't understand the info but IF there is text going on we know kernel.img file is not damaged. if you have "quiet" and loglevel=0 we are not able to tell wheter kernel is wrong, or it froze on loading or it was booting but failed on other error later.

you wan't to rollback the whole card ?
(7th Dec, 2013 08:15 AM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, will not shorten the informations anymore.

initramfs if is needed needs to be part of /boot/config.txt file as firmware is loading this information or data into memory. the text inside code box is usual config.txt including initramfs definition.

Code:
initramfs initramfs.gz  0x00a00000
gpu_mem_256=128
gpu_mem_512=128
arm_freq=840
core_freq=275
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0

also file named initrmfs.gz should be present in /boot and with the .debs you installed its size should be ~6115k (6Mb). kernel.img ~2500k. then cmdline.txt holding kernel command line parameters - all in ONE line - and should look similar to raspbians , but with the two changes (rootfstype=btrfs and rootflags=subvol=root/@ - rootflags are bit longer but this is essential information to boot system later and start conversion now).

if you remove "quiet" "loglevel=0" from cmdline.txt you should see text rolling on the screen right after you start RPI. this can be important even if we don't understand the info but IF there is text going on we know kernel.img file is not damaged. if you have "quiet" and loglevel=0 we are not able to tell wheter kernel is wrong, or it froze on loading or it was booting but failed on other error later.

you wan't to rollback the whole card ?

Ops..
I've copied the files that you posted before..
Do you think I have repeat all from the start?

i-ve repeat all now the raspberry boot, but i haven-t to wait 15 min....its boots fast...
ok....im installing xbian-update...
but the passwprd for xbian user?

nevermind...
doesn' t work...

give up...

;(
Hi

I am trying to fool instructions [HOW TO] installing XBIAN directly on Raspbian.img however it fails at stage 2

root@raspberrypi:~# sudo apt-get install xbian-package-xbianhome
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xbian-package-xbianhome

any advice ? thanks....
OK moved on a bit started install process from beginning this time it found xbianhome so followed instructions changed config.txt with addition line changed cmdline.txt with revised script removed quite, ran apt-get install xbian-update seemed to be ok rebooted pi and after some wait screen clears and login prompt appears, i login expecting splash screen or something - nothing just normal pi@raspberypi # $ so try service lightdm start - OK starting -- try sudo start xbmc - xbmc start/running hmmm me thinks what next ???????????
@Toshi,

if you install on top of raspbian, your previous boot settings are preserved.

btw: without xbianhome xbmc won't start. still unavailable package for you ?

Code:
sudo -i
apt-get clean; apt-get update; apt-get install xbian-package-xbianhome
I need some help following these instructions. I am new to Raspberry and Linux. I got as far as inputing the code in step 1. I am stuck at the part within step 1 stating
Quote:so please edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list and uncomment line 2 and 3)
I am within Raspbian GUI. I entered the code from the "LXTerminal" successfully. I went into the file manager /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list, I uncomment the 2 lines and try to save. I get the error "Can't open file to write". I tried saving as a new file, changed permissions by right clicking. Thank you.
you need root permissions to edit those files. just use your LXTerminal as before and run

Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list

to edit sources file.
(13th Dec, 2013 03:11 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]you need root permissions to edit those files. just use your LXTerminal as before and run

Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list

to edit sources file.

Okay I tried that and I get an editor within the terminal. I deleted the comments but how do you save it?
I now have another file called xbian.list.save that I cant edit or delete either. I dont understand what's going on here and with the permissions.
you save it with ctrl+x (you get asked to save upon exit).

xbian.list.save is file you saved before when you was unable to write to xbian.list
(13th Dec, 2013 03:48 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]you save it with ctrl+x (you get asked to save upon exit).

xbian.list.save is file you saved before when you was unable to write to xbian.list

Thank you that worked. It asks me to overwrite it and to name it. I kept it the same. I checked in the file manager and it worked. Do I need to remove the *.*.save files I created? It wont let me delete it from file manager.
@FrankXbian

more or less all /etc/ files are system files, providing just read access for standard users. it is fine, that you can't alter them in any way.

.save files will not harm in any way.
I followed all the steps, and have a succesfull installation of Xbian on the raspbian.img.
I can start xbmc with "sudo start xbmc" and this will launch a working xbmc for me.
Browsing through the menu's seems to be fast, and responsive. However, whatever movie (avi, dvd .mkv) files I try to launch, system keeps on loading forever. I have checked, but the license files are present and enabled, so I'm a bit stuck here how to solve this issue

Another strange thing I notice. I always mount my smb mounts directly in fstab. I copied the lines from a working xbian image and paste it in /etc/fstab. After reboot the mounts don't show up. When I "sudo mount -a" the mounts are 9 out of 10 times present, so the lines in fstab are correct.

edit:
fstab seems to be fine after a few reboots. Mounts are accessible directly now.
lxde desktop also seems to work without any problems, but still having trouble with the xbian/xbmc part.
I notice dvd (.mkb files) only plays with sound, not with video, simulair to play without having the licenses activated.
Avi. gives system freeze. Checked active licenses and codecs several times. Xbian XBMC menu also confirms they are present.
@skinlee78

can you please post output

apt-cache policy xbian-package-kernel
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reference URL's