Forum

Full Version: [HOW-TO] Installing XBIAN directly on RASPBIAN IMG
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(22nd Feb, 2015 08:47 AM)GwennyPi Wrote: [ -> ]package linux-image-bcm2836 not available but it is referenced from another package. This can mean the package is lost, replaced or available from another source
E: There is no installation candidate for package linux-image-bcm2836

I get the same error. Somehow the repo setup does not work. It fails loading some repos. I dont have access to my Pi2 right now.
GwennyPi: Can you please post the output of "sudo apt-get update" here? The error is shown there.

BUT, I also simply downloaded the kernel package manually via wget from the repo. When I want to install it, it fails because it is in conflict with raspberry-bootloader (or rpi-bootloader; dont quite remember, but I hope you understand the problem)

How to solve this?

Thank you Smile
I have this problem too. Could you pro´s please fix this.
We are currently looking for dedicated users to test this so we can finish development. Let us know if you like to help!
(1st Mar, 2015 05:11 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]We are currently looking for dedicated users to test this so we can finish development. Let us know if you like to help!

I´d like to help. What can I do? I have a rasberry 2, 8Gb SD card. I am an experienced linux user.
You can PM me.
(22nd Feb, 2015 08:17 PM)Roxxor Wrote: [ -> ]
(22nd Feb, 2015 08:47 AM)GwennyPi Wrote: [ -> ]package linux-image-bcm2836 not available but it is referenced from another package. This can mean the package is lost, replaced or available from another source
E: There is no installation candidate for package linux-image-bcm2836

I get the same error. Somehow the repo setup does not work. It fails loading some repos. I dont have access to my Pi2 right now.
GwennyPi: Can you please post the output of "sudo apt-get update" here? The error is shown there.

BUT, I also simply downloaded the kernel package manually via wget from the repo. When I want to install it, it fails because it is in conflict with raspberry-bootloader (or rpi-bootloader; dont quite remember, but I hope you understand the problem)

How to solve this?

Thank you Smile

Hi Guys!

have a look at the FAQ about the apt packages http://www.xbian.org/faq/
It worked for me. At least a little. I could install the kernel and all repos where found.

Now I get when rebooting:

Kernel panic - not syncing VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)

I will prepare a new SD-Image because there is nothing I can do on the RPI2.
Hi again,

yesterday I tried to install XBian over Raspbian again on a new SD-Card (two different SD-cards in fact) with a clean Raspbian install on a RPi 2. The power source is good enough and the Raspbian system runs perfectly well.

I could install everything up to the kernel after aplying the deb source changes of the FAQ.

After rebooting with the new kernel I allways get the same kernel panic error. Before the kernel panic error appears there seems to be a problem because no btrfs root file system can be found.

Do I need to convert the raspbian rootfs to btrfs before rebooting?

I really would like to use Xbian over Raspbian because I need to install other software (RetroPi) which won't install under Xbian...

I hope this will work soon.

Thanks
Dom
Hi Huehnerbrust,

I have the same issue. Did you find how to fix it?

Many thanks
@beach, can you post your offer on github?
Clean Raspian Wheezy installation, followed instructions in Post 1 of this thread, Fails at step 1 installing repositories.
I get an xbian-package-initramfs-tools dependency problem:

Terminal
pi@raspitv ~ $ cd /tmp
pi@raspitv /tmp $ sudo -s
root@raspitv:/tmp# wget http://apt.xbian.org/pool/stable/main/x/xbian-package-repo/xbian-package-repo_20150919-0_armhf.deb
--2015-09-25 19:05:29-- http://apt.xbian.org/pool/stable/main/x/xbian-package-repo/xbian-package-repo_20150919-0_armhf.deb
Resolving apt.xbian.org (apt.xbian.org)... 85.17.60.99
Connecting to apt.xbian.org (apt.xbian.org)|85.17.60.99|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 6092 (5.9K) [application/x-debian-package]
Saving to: `xbian-package-repo_20150919-0_armhf.deb'

100%[======================================>] 6,092 11.6K/s in 0.5s

2015-09-25 19:05:34 (11.6 KB/s) - `xbian-package-repo_20150919-0_armhf.deb' saved [6092/6092]

root@raspitv:/tmp# dpkg -i xbian-package-repo_*_armhf.deb
Selecting previously unselected package xbian-package-repo.
(Reading database ... 77851 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xbian-package-repo (from xbian-package-repo_20150919-0_armhf.deb) ...
Replacing files in old package base-files ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xbian-package-repo:
xbian-package-repo depends on xbian-package-initramfs-tools (>= 20150918); however:
Package xbian-package-initramfs-tools is not installed.

dpkg: error processing xbian-package-repo (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
xbian-package-repo
root@raspitv:/tmp#

I thought as it was step by step I'd ask in case I'm doing something wrong, before trying anything else. I've been through the thread and googled it but don't see any clues.

Help appreciated.

Software
XBian version:xbian-package-repo_20150919-0_armhf.deb
XBMC/Kodi version:
Overclock settings:default
Raspbian: Debian Wheezy Version: May 2015, Release date: 2015-05-05, Kernel version: 3.18

Hardware
Device type and model Raspberry Pi Model B+ 512 MB
Power supply rating: 2A
SD card size and make/type: 32GB SanDisk Ultra microSDHC Class 10
Network (Ethernet or wireless): Ethernet
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...):TV
You can force the installation of the newer xbian-package-repo package by doing:
Code:
# dpkg --install --force-depends xbian-package-repo*.dpk

I tried this method on an existing raspbian jessie installation and on a fresh installation. The second was out of necessity as the first try resulted in an empty root partition.

I have a couple of questions:
  • Has anyone recently and successfully tried the method as described?
  • And how?
  • Does converting the root partition to btrfs beforehand help?
  • Does starting from a wheezy raspbian installation net a different result?
Hi all,
I'm a noob with RPi2

i wish to install kodi & Retropie (and other packages) over Raspbian Lite base
I try Xbian RPi2 image, but i like to use "pi" user instead of "xbian"
and use "ext4" format of Raspbian instead of "btrfs" of Xbian

Then, if i install Xbian package, kodi autostarts automatically?

I have been amazed with the integration of xbian -config in Kodi , and I would like to keep it.

Is all this possible?

How should I do this?
HuhHuhHuh
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reference URL's