Forum

Full Version: XBian localization
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
dear friends!

I know that usually doing something we don't really need to do is ugly and against nature. I feel it each day when taking care about family (JOKE), but now and then it is not so much bad … like for instance vacuuming last week (don't tell anyone but I hate it)…

we try on random occasions encourage you to maybe at least you try looking like you are interested.

it is true that most of the time the topics are too challenging so now I have something very easy. it's not all just about programming and such boring stuff. for instance i think quite BOOMBING thing would be to have xbian-config (termibnal window and even XBMC) speak with your native language - XBMC does so already!. I checked how much it is to translate and it is 321 sentences NOT longer than 5-6 words in general.

ground rule is:
1. The settings name cannot be more then 15 char.
2. The description cannot be more then 35 char.

for this you don't need deep knowledge, just UTF text editor. you can't brick your RPI, you can't delet someone's media files. And I'm sure this would help someone in your country. to finally realize why the a function is working for everyone but him. simply because it is different one. bur it wasn't written in his native language. Now can be.

if you decide to at least think about it, we dpn't need any special meetings ahout his. Look at file "less /usr/local/include/xbian-config/gettext/xbian.po" . you will right see what is it about.
So if someone was fluent it say Spanish - how would they go about changing the msgstr? Is there a separate file for Spanish or some flag that needs to be set to say it is Spanish.

How would they go about it?
@IriDium

ok, pure hypothetically, right? because I can speak russian, albanian a bit polish - simply you won't mess with me.

so if you could do the spanish. he would take this one file as template. then he change name for instance to xbian.es.po and will translate each "msgstr" record (without the first being empty please and without second one "msgstr "XBian"" … usually names gets never translated - but there are crazy stories about spanish.I have info thast someone named Dr. Greenthumb visited Spain and returned back as Mr. Dedoverde.

then you send me file back I compile it and store into /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGS providing spanish texting in case locale will be by accident set to like =es_ES

btw: please be sure the file is edited properly as UTF-8. with any text console (linux / macosx …) will not be problem, but windows us able even to create code page completely new Smile

of you would like to test if you are doing right, you can add eu_ES.UTF-8. compile the file we few strings as for your test

Code:
dpkg-reconfigure locale            
msgfmt -o /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/xbian.mo MYFILE.es.xbian.po

and finally test
Code:
LANG=eu_ES.UTF-8 xbian-config
There is one issues i came across when i made xbian-config multilingual the first time. That is, you need clear guidelines on the translated sentences. When i left xbian-config to @mk01 it has simple but clear rules regarding the menu:

1. The settings name cannot be more then 15 char.
2. The description cannot be more then 35 char.

That was why xbian-config looked this consistent. If you don't set clear rules on this, or don't follow them, things can get a mess easily regarding language styling. This same thing already happened with the Xbian copier and Backup /home to file menu items.

You need these rules because the verboseness of languages can differ widely and therefor the lengths of the "common" translations.
Could this not be done with an online converter for a lot of the text?

I used babelfish (Good old HHG2TG) to convert.

# Information about this distribution (English)
# Informationen über diese Verteilung (German)
# Інформація про цей дистрибутив (Ukrainian)
# Información acerca de esta distribución (Spanish)
# Informatie over deze verdeling (Dutch)

Would that be acceptable? How good is it.
I can try to translate to portuguese.
(8th Dec, 2013 10:25 AM)GnobarEl Wrote: [ -> ]I can try to translate to portuguese.
Many thanks for that.

My guess you need to output to xbian.pk.po

I'm not too sure what difference there is between European Portuguese and America Portuguese? If only dialect then go for it.
(9th Dec, 2013 03:46 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]
(8th Dec, 2013 10:25 AM)GnobarEl Wrote: [ -> ]I can try to translate to portuguese.
Many thanks for that.

My guess you need to output to xbian.pk.po

I'm not too sure what difference there is between European Portuguese and America Portuguese? If only dialect then go for it.

Hi,
PT-Portugal is different from PT-Brazilian.
We can read and understand, but some words/grammar is different.

Anyway, next weekend I will give a look on it. Someone can easily translate to Pt-Br.
(8th Dec, 2013 03:06 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Could this not be done with an online converter for a lot of the text?

The dutch one is bad Wink
(9th Dec, 2013 10:03 PM)Koenkk Wrote: [ -> ]
(8th Dec, 2013 03:06 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Could this not be done with an online converter for a lot of the text?

@Koenkk How bad is bad? If it is really bad you can guess where this is going Shy
(10th Dec, 2013 02:14 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]
(9th Dec, 2013 10:03 PM)Koenkk Wrote: [ -> ]

@Koenkk How bad is bad? If it is really bad you can guess where this is going Shy

It's says: information about this division;p so yes it's very bad

nope. it's all bad (german / ukrainian).
I could do Dutch for you but will need some more info on howto edit the po file.
Did some translating for Arch Linux via a website that worked very well.

Just let me know if you still need a Dutch translation

Cheers,

BootZ
currently is only en in place.

i started with Slovakian.

if you open the file you will see easily. it is all about a pairs for all phrases.

"phrase_name" and "Name of this phrase in eng".

if you would considering electronically processing it, you would need to create a cross table to english texts. after all maybe I will do a .xls table.

I created .ods spreadsheet where column B needs to be translated

http://xbian.brantje.com/others/xbian.po.ods
So we need localisation on the following languages: Add as needed
Australian Big Grin
Dutch/Flemish (Not too sure how they differ) Koen, Curlymo, Bootz
French (Belese?)
German
Italian
Norwegian.
Portuguese
Spanish
Swedish
Turkish

Any users who's mother tongue is in any of the listed languages or even those not not mentioned who would like to help, please get in touch.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's