Forum

Full Version: Can't add hard drive folder video sources
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
I did a clean install of 1.0 Beta 2. My hard drives mount and are automatically added as video sources, however I want to add individual folders to my sources rather than the hard drives, for quicker access. IS there a way to do this? when I go to add sources my hard drives don't show up like they used to :-(

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: i think the problem might be due to the hard drives getting mounted so late, i've already opened the vidoes section before the hard drives are mounted....then i see them appear as they are mounted.

Thanks,
Chris
It takes a while for the priorities to be loaded. USB disks are quite a way down the line. You will see a blue message in the bottom right corner when the drives have been mounted.
+1 as this being as it is described.
(15th Dec, 2013 01:09 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]It takes a while for the priorities to be loaded. USB disks are quite a way down the line. You will see a blue message in the bottom right corner when the drives have been mounted.

Yeah the message comes up and I see the hard drives in my videos....in previous version of xbian, the hard disks didn't come up automaticaly, I added them as sources, and could therefore add a folder for "Movies" "TV" etc.

But now when the hard drives mount they appear automatically but I can't add individual folders from them, as they don't appear when i try to add more sources.

(Hopefully my post can be understood Smile
Once the drives have mounted - you should be able to add folders by going to Video/music -> add sources -> select USB drive, select folder - click Ok, give it a name and all will be fine.

If this is not the case, can you provide screenshots of what your procedure is.
+1 to the latest post made by @IriDium
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library/Adding_media_sources
If you are new to XBMC than you first place to go to search for info should be our site regarding XBian things or if is a XBMC than their Wiki
(17th Dec, 2013 06:11 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]+1 to the latest post made by @IriDium
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library/Adding_media_sources
If you are new to XBMC than you first place to go to search for info should be our site regarding XBian things or if is a XBMC than their Wiki

Thanks for the replies, I've used XBMC before mainly on Xbian and the procedure that @IriDium describes is what I've always done and what always works. Now since I've upgraded (clean install) when I follow the procedure in the wiki the hard drives are not an option as a source...all other sources are lifted as normal. So my screen shot would be just the same as the wiki screen shot with no hard drives listed.

The hard drives load automatically as sources once they mount, which it didn't do in previous versions of xbian (i'd add the hard drives or folders manually using the add sources...and they'd remain there for later occasions).

Apologies if I didn't describe it clearly enough originally, but to summerise; after hard drives have mounted they don't appear in the "Add Video Source Menu" ...they do however automatically load as sources without me adding them from the "Add Video Source Menu"
I take it this issue is just specific to me case as nobody else is having the issue?
sorry but I get really confused here as you wrote,quote
Quote:after hard drives have mounted they don't appear in the "Add Video Source Menu" ...they do however automatically load as sources without me adding them from the "Add Video Source Menu"

so can you add, step by step screenshots how you adding the sources, same as on XBMC wiki so we see what you do as I'm totally lost here, sorry
(18th Dec, 2013 07:49 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]sorry but I get really confused here as you wrote,quote
Quote:after hard drives have mounted they don't appear in the "Add Video Source Menu" ...they do however automatically load as sources without me adding them from the "Add Video Source Menu"

so can you add, step by step screenshots how you adding the sources, same as on XBMC wiki so we see what you do as I'm totally lost here, sorry

Yeah I understand it's confusing....I'll get screen shots when I get home from work, but in the mean time you might be able to follow the pics i ref on http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library/Adding_media_sources
I follow all the steps here but the following two issues don't seem normal to me.

1. When hard drives are mounted they automatically appear as a video source before I tried to add them, first time I booted with this version of Xbian, they were already in the screenshot above step 2 when the hard drives mounted. So where "Movies" is written I'll have my two hard drives here, called "movies" and "chris media". This is not a problem, however it's showing the hard drives are mounted and can be found.

2. When I click add source however, neither hard drives are listed in the menu per the screenshot above step 4, the rest of the options are; there but no hard drives, so I can't add folders from my hard drives.
so now I seems to understand a bit Wink
So as your two drives appears as a sources in step 2 we say, can you just brows and add folders containing your media sources?
(18th Dec, 2013 08:08 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]so now I seems to understand a bit Wink
So as your two drives appears as a sources in step 2 we say, can you just brows and add folders containing your media sources?

I can borwse yeah, and open all my folders and play files, but I can't add the folders containing media directly to save me sifting through my hard drives......I thought maybe by right clicking I could do this but I coudln't find any short cut! Is there a way to add media sources other than step 4 on the wiki? sa they don't appear in the menu in step 4....... sorry for not being able to explain clearly in the begining!
so can you do

step2 - select Files

step3 - pick your drive or go in and select just the folder

step4 - evoke contextual menu by pressing C from keyboard or usually Option on remote and select Set content and after just follow as usual

get back if this is any good for you
(18th Dec, 2013 09:40 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]so can you do

step2 - select Files

step3 - pick your drive or go in and select just the folder

step4 - evoke contextual menu by pressing C from keyboard or usually Option on remote and select Set content and after just follow as usual

get back if this is any good for you

cool thanks a lot for your patience and time....I'll let you know how I get on once I get home from work :-)
I keep my files in folders on an USB disk. I added the folders I need as sources in XBMC. But the root of the disk is also added to the sources. If I go to the context menu and pick "safely remove" the drive is completely unmounted. How can I prevent adding the entire disk as a source?
(19th Dec, 2013 01:34 PM)Мистер Н. Wrote: [ -> ]I keep my files in folders on an USB disk. I added the folders I need as sources in XBMC. But the root of the disk is also added to the sources. If I go to the context menu and pick "safely remove" the drive is completely unmounted. How can I prevent adding the entire disk as a source?

Merged! Please read through
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's