Forum

Full Version: XBMC 13.0 FINAL got released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
@Ger Teunis I don't know what you are whining about - I'm running RC2 with Gotham stable and I'm on Git:20140507 - you can't be more up to date without a time machine.

If you like Xbian so much. offer to help improve it.
@Ger Teunis, your name suggests that you are Dutch, so please read this post http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/42195563#42195563 and you'll see that you're wrong.
(8th May, 2014 01:52 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]@Ger Teunis I don't know what you are whining about - I'm running RC2 with Gotham stable and I'm on Git:20140507 - you can't be more up to date without a time machine.

If you like Xbian so much. offer to help improve it.

IriDium is absolutely right! I switched to XBMC 13 (Gotham) stable without any problems just today.

All I had to do was:

Terminal
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-xbmc-gotham-nightly

It's running well, no problems so far. Big Grin

Thanks for XBian! Just loving it's performance. Smile
What I am whining about is poor release scheduling.

Yes you can get the latest XBMC via the nightly way, and yes it's a piece of cake.
In the past I even compiled XBMC multiple times for the raspberry pi to help test and debug an XBMC issue which was resolved.

What I am saying is that for the average joe (most of your users) XBian is, at may 8th, is still not pushing XBMC 13.0 via the official updates.
Also all the other distros out there did indeed plan it out right and within a day released the massive and important update of XBMC (the whole reason Xbian exists) out to the general public.
Ok, I agree that XBian hasn't a good publicity policy.

Last week I was talking with an old friend about the Raspberry and he told me that he isn't using XBian
because it's outdated and there is only a Beta since months. He was suprised when I informed him about
the real status of Xbian and he want to try it.

The problem is: People are googling for the best XBMC distro for the Pi. Then they will probably check the
websites of three different projects. On two of them they will find recent news and a current build in the
download section. But on the XBian website it looks like there wasn't any work on it since end of 2013.
And if they check the download section, they will definitely think that Beta 2 is the current version.

Such potential new users won't check the forum. They just check the news/download sections and decide.
If you would post a few more news with updates, announce the RC2 official on the website and provide a
RC2 image/installer - I'm sure that there will be more XBian users.

But as I said: That's only about the publicity policy. For me and for all other users who check the forums,
XBian is perfect and really up to date! But it would be a great idea to let the people outside know about.

Wink
@josch: so true! Publicity is really the weak spot of XBian.. The rest is great.
Gotham worked on the first pi I tried.

After upgrade it was very slow to start up and eventually hung. I rebooted expecting failure, but all seems well so far. RC2 and Gotham gives a smooooooth mouse movement over the menus and I will be seeing if it helps with any of the issues I have reported on this forum in other threads.

Thanks guys for all the work and keeping this going - Kudos!

Skywatch
Hello,
Can you provide me a simple but exaustive methode to go from version 12 to version 13 ?

I use IPTV simple to see tv with mnu.

Best regards

Thierry
For me the same question, please provide step-by-step how to get to 13, and have it updated in the future (so repo link change?)
(9th May, 2014 08:17 PM)NitSuA Wrote: [ -> ]For me the same question, please provide step-by-step how to get to 13, and have it updated in the future (so repo link change?)

Just have a look on my post:
(8th May, 2014 04:32 AM)josch Wrote: [ -> ]All I had to do was:

Terminal
sudo apt-get install xbian-package-xbmc-gotham-nightly

For future updates the package will be updated via apt.
**** ALL *****

Please use This for all Xbian RC2 XBMC 13 issues.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's